Lightweight pulleys for 1/2/3 uz motors?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
C

cowboy bebop

Hi guys,

Are there any companies now selling a complete set of pulleys for the 1/2/3uz family of motors? I've combed the Unorthodox website but came up empty handed. Are there any companies willing to produce these yet?

Because if not, and if there is enough interest, I could produce them for the community. Here is an example of an idler pulley we just came out with last week for the 2JZ-GTE.

Standard2.jpg

Standard3.jpg

I don't want it to seem as though I am soliciting for sales, but this is the business I am in, and if it looks like this is something that the community wants, I'd be more than happy to oblige. If we were to produce these they'd be sold solely through a trusted major national retailer who will be named later.

Eric

Which pulley do you plan to produce? One of our members named Xirforver did made few crank pulleys (smaller also) but didnt create much demand for it.

i would be pretty keen in a full set of pullies for my 1UZ

Attachments

• DSCF0664.JPG
    DSCF0664.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 6
This would be lightweight accessory pulleys only

I'd not touch the crank pulley since I'm a Firm believer in harmonic dampening. In the 2JZ community, if you remove the harmonic dampener it's only a matter of time before the engine turns south.

Between the 1/2/3uz-fe motors, the accessory pulley arrangement is the same, correct?

An example of a water pump pulley cover we've released a few weeks back..

betterpic4.jpg

betterpic3.jpg

And an example of another version of the idler pulley for the 2JZ..

Automatic1.jpg

Automatic6.jpg

Thanks guys, if there is enough interest we could go into production on a complete set of lightweight pulleys. It's really up to the community at this point because so far, I can't find anyone that makes them for the 'uz-fe family.

Eric

For the basic 3 pieces, PS, Water pump, and alternator, we're looking at $220.00 USD.

For the two idlers, ribbed and unribbed, the price would add $120.00 USD more.

Remember that this does not replace the crank pulley. It's been shown in other communities that removal of the harmonic dampener is directly related to engine failure. These pulleys would replace the other five. The PS, WP, alternator, and 2 idlers.

Thanks

Eric

I'm looking at the idler pulley in the 1/2/3uz-fe, and I'm about 90% sure that it's the same as the 2jz. So really, it looks like the pulley we came out with last week will fit the 'us-fe family of motors also. :)

Eric

There really isnt much oportunity on the 1uz's because of two reasons. 1.) you cant touch the waterpump pulley. 2.) the only other pulleys that are left are the fan pulley, its like 1lb, the idle pulley, very light anyway, alternator pulley, very very light also. Only real plus i can see is its use for eye candy pretty much, or you could even go as far as to say that it will cool things better becuase we all know aluminum dissipates heat faster than conventional steels. I mean you might be able to save like 1 lb with all the pulleys, but i would rather spend the 220$ on them not for the 1 lb, but for the looks. ya know? cough anodize them blue cough, sorry i have a cold hehe

AC pulley cant touch
water pump pulley cant touch
Crank pulley cant touch
Alternator = Yes
Tensioner Pulley = Yes
Idler pulley = yes
Power steering = yes

If the A/C pulley can't be replaced, but I am working on a cover for it. If it's anything like the Supra, the clutch is held on by a central bolt.

So, from what we see here, the Alternator, Idler, PS, tensioner can be done. Is there no way to remove the water pump pulley with tearing deep in to the motor?

Most pulleys offer a weight savings, but really the look of the motor is as important in the end as the performance. And since no one else seems to make them (Not even Unorthodox Racing, and they make everything), it would seem like a sizable contribution to the community.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help

Eric

Even if you make the pulley for the water pump, installation would cost 6-7x the cost of the pulley. Not worth it and if my memory serve me correctly the water pulley can not be remove. Its riveted in.

Is that the uppermost smaller pulley, right above the fan pulley?

Eric

Ohhh, ok. :) Our wires got crossed there. I was thinking of only replacing the pulleys that are run by the accessory belt. All pulleys but the crank.

Is there enough of a demand for something like this?

Eric

If I was trying to save 1lb (which I doubt I would) in my cars 4070 lb weight I would put less water in the washer bottle, empty the glovebox or have a pee before I drove the car.

1lb represents 1/4070 of my cars weight. If I spent the US$220 on a good tune up I would gain more advantage and save fuel.

Of course the weight of the pulleys themselves is a small part of the equation. An weight taken off of the pulleys means the motor revs faster. It makes a difference, much like a lightweight flywheel would.

What we're talking about here is ROTATIONAL weight, which as we know, means much more than nonrotational.

Plus aftermarket pulleys are usually the first thing people do to dress the engine bay, and I'm very surprised no major companies have produced them yet for the 'uz-fe family of motors. Having an engine that shines as well as performs is having the best of both worlds. Plus honestly, the price is on par with what is on the market for other performance cars.

Thanks,

Eric

I like the idea of light weight and the bling-bling effect isn´t a bad thing, but unfortunatley, the importance of rotational weight is related to the radius of the rotating mass - more mass away from centre = much rotational forces, mass close to center = low rotational forces.

For example, a flywheel with most of its weight on the "rim" (?) (as far from center that´s possible), can be made wery light and still pack enough rotational force to ensure good driveability, and the small pulleys "needs" to be made in tungsten or uranium to have a noticeable effect on the engines ability to rev.