lexus v8 into triumph stag

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Jax,

A mate of mine has a Stag he wants to fit the 1UZ into.

PM me and I can put you in touch.

He's done some trial fitting with my spare engine trans.

Murray,

I've passed your info on to my mate.

His name is Chris and if he reads his email you should get a message from him. I'll ring him so he knows it's on its way.

Gidday

I'm in the process of fitting a UZ - 1 into a 74 Mk 2 Triumph Stag.
Engine used is from a Soarer ( Rear Sump ) running std auto trans. Is a tight fit.
Had to mod sump and lower crossmember 30 mm. But bonnet closes with no bulge / scoop needed :)
Engine ceterline is slighty to left to help clear steering.
Used crown exhaust manifilds RHs stock, LHs mod.
Custom alloy radiator & trans cooler & remote oil filter.
Using ECU from a crown to run engine and auto trans.
Loom was customised to suit.
Am waiting for new front springs as UZ 1 engine is heaps lighter than old Triumph mill...

A work in progress.

Has any one done/ heard of a speed sensor for a toyota auto trans that isn't part of a toyota speedo unit ? Need that input to get shift points.

cheers

Andrew

hi andrew

thanks for the info seems your a fair way into it.
please keep in touch with your progress.
did you prefer automatic or was that an easier option??
thanks for for letting me knw what your up to
regards jax050

I had this idea once.....
veryhappy.gif

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/boogered-up-british-v8-66626.html?highlight=stag+v8

Greg

hi andrew looks like a good job & appears to fit in ok.
will you need any bulge in the bonnet or will it shut down with out mod.
did it clear the steering rack with out to much drama?
thanks again for the pics
regards murray....jax050

Hi Murray.
Had to lower the crossmember 30 mm as UZ-1 was just a bit to tall, even with a moderfied rear sump, which is tight in against the cross member.
Fire wall clearance was tight too, 15mm from back of heads.
No buldge necessary, have removed sound deadner and cross brace for the moment as top of inlet manifold is quite close to bonnet, will re fit it later with a small piece cut out in the middel.
Steering was the biggest pain. With the crossmember lowered had to slide the lower bush in the column out by 8 mm and engine is off set slightly to the left.
Used "crown" log type exhaust maifolds. RH was Std, and LH had to be modified to suit.
where are you up to on your transplant ?

Regards
Andrew

good ey andrew
i havent started any transplant yet. i purchased the stag not running with no brakes etc. had been sitting for aprox 4 years. i now have it up & running with little expense so i plan to to get a blue slip & put it on the road for this summer. i need to finish another project first before i start on the transplant. i have a ford f-250 4x4 1977 which has been a full restoration which is getting close to finished? but i just couldnt let the the stag slip by.
i actually have a ford 302 windsor & 5 speed warner t5 box i was thinking of dropping in the stag. not as good as your conversion but i already have most of the parts ready to go. are you going to upgrade your brakes????
regards murray

I just want to get it running first
but am looking at up gradeing the Brakes ( Don't know what to yet),
diff center Looking for a LSD and axels ( have a datsun 180 B half shaft conversion kit ordered )
My biggest problem is still trying to find a speed o driven pulse signal gen for the auto to give the trans controller speed singnal 2. determins shift points.
and looking for a dominite/toledo smiths 4 cyl tach o.

Have a carefull look at your tacho.

Many production units were used for numerous vehicles/engines also may be switchable between 4, 6 & 8 cylinders. Especialy Smiths. If it could be made to fit more than one vehicle they would have done it.

Up date AUG 06

Well not alot of progress on the project. Still sanding back the body to metal, but have been busy getting suspension and brake up grade parts together.

Have new 1 inch lowered springs and castor/camber adjusters from KMAC, plus new shocks and all new suspension bushes, steering rack etc

Brought some new front, twin pot calipers and larger vented disks (Volvo 200), larger bearing stub axels, a rear disc brake conversion kit( Ford ), a BMW brake master cylinder and servo conversion kit, a modified ford 9 inch diff and rear track controll arm kit. Also had to get a set of 16" ROH mags (needed to clear larger brakes)
All parts except diff and mags from monarch stags in the UK.
www.monarch-stag.co.uk

Should compilment the engine swap nicly.

C U again once the body has been done.

good ey sparrow.conversion sounds like its going real good. i would vey much like to know more about your ford 9" conversion.any chance of some more pics of the 9"? also what ford rear brakes are you fitting. and what wheel pattern were you planning on running regards murray

stag 9"

Diff was built for a stag running a 355 Chev. Number plate of that car was SHAG.
Is a "very" cut down nine inch center with the back triumph mounting plate welded to it. Previously, it had a habit of letting the axel shaft slip out when giving it the curry ( due to the half shafts binding and pulling it out ).I'm using Nissan half shafts so should avoid that problem. Also had all the bearings checked, back lash re set and side bearing oil seals fitted + new retainers made. Its a 2.75 which is taller than I wanted but can change the ratio later on and may throw in a LSD ceter once combo is sorted.
I picked the diff up on trade me ( NZ auction site ) from a guy that was putting a UZ-1 into a triumph 2000. His project flopped and I picked up the pieces ( diff and mags ).

cheers
Andrew :smoker: