Lexus V8 Hot Rod

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

curbo

Dear Guys
I am about to start my chassis on a one off Hot Rod here in ENGLAND and want to use a Lexus V8 with its Autobox, standard at first but with some nice mid tuning at a later date, could you please advise which V8 to go for and how are they identified. We have 1990-1992 LS400 complete cars with 100000 miles on for not much money what would the pros and cons of this one or would a later version be better or even the LS430,s
Cheers Curbo

I'm not an expert but I'll give you my crappy answer, I'm guessing they are all good. However thinking in a Hot Rod style, you'll want to get the whole wiring harness complete. This will get you up and running. The earlier engines would probably be better suited to hotting up if you plan to get rid of the standard ECU. As any rodding project, keeping it simple will do you best in the long run if your not an expert tuner.

I'd stick with a 1UZ and not get the VVTI engine as for me this is too complicated.

Good luck with it, there are lots of Rods in Australia running the 1UZ, Check out 1UZ-HZ on this forum, although not a hot rod but a HZ Holden from the 60's. The build would be similer.

Nath

I'm building a 6/71 Roots Blown 1UZ-FE for a custom Reliant kitten I imported last year. The little pic next to my username is the mock up. Search this site or my posts to see some pics of my engine etc.

I love hot rods and really should be building one instead of this crazy little drag car but hey stupid decisions are my speciality.

I am unfamiler with the gearboxes for these engines, I'm using a Chevy powerglide auto. I guess others will be able to help you out with models etc but you should get lots of positive people here rather than people saying "you want to do what?"

Cheers Nath
Wow that Green Lexus engine sure is wild, you Australian Dudes sure turn out some super stuff, Love the kitten, i friend of mine had a Reliant Rebel with a Ford Cosworth Engine that was wild
Cheers Curbo

lexus Hot Rod

Hi Curbo,

I'm currently building two Cobra replicas with Lexus LS400 engines although its very early stages atm.

I got my engines from Car Transplants near Nantwich in your neck of the woods. Accident damaged Lexus 400's go for peanuts if you can find one ( took me 5 months and then I found three in one scrapyard) as the engines are so reliable theres no demand for replacement ones out of crashed cars.

It looks like we'll both be learning about adapting the Lexus V8 in the near future.

Cheers,

Tony

I'd go for the 1UZ on the basis the plug covers hide the plug wires.

On later coil on plug engines they aren't as neat when exposed to view.

Looks are as important as performance in a rod.

You can keep the standard wiring as most of it is well hidden and run the loom into the cab down behind the engine where it won't be seen.

That's one of my dream cars, 2400lb with over 300 (smooth) horses, way cool.
The auto uses the std ecu I believe, may be good to get that for ease of install/tuning.
You can max out the oem injection/cams with a good piggy back as well, any more than that and there's bigger $ involved.
There are high-stall converters that would work nice with a light car too.
What style/body are you considering?

One question on the green rod.

Look at the inlet pipe it goes right past the t/b and toward the front of the car.

Has this car got a single turbo?

SCV8 said:
That's one of my dream cars, 2400lb with over 300 (smooth) horses, way cool.
The auto uses the std ecu I believe, may be good to get that for ease of install/tuning.
You can max out the oem injection/cams with a good piggy back as well, any more than that and there's bigger $ involved.
There are high-stall converters that would work nice with a light car too.
What style/body are you considering?
the body style is to be a complete one off see attached photo
cheers curbo

That's some involved plumbing there.

I'd have been tempted to mount the AFM directly to the t/b and run a 90degree into the filter.

Zuffen said:
That's some involved plumbing there.

I'd have been tempted to mount the AFM directly to the t/b and run a 90degree into the filter.

Does the AFM have to work in one plane or can you mount it on its "side"? Space in the Cobra engine compartment will be at a premium.

Also I have been told that AFM's in general benefit from having a laminar, undisturbed air flow, and require at least 8 inches of straight induction pipe prior to the afm intake to work properly?

Is this true or was it just BMW tuners boloxs..........

Cheers,

Tony