Learning About Australia

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Why is the suicide rate the highest here in the States you may ask? Well it's simply because it is cloudy and rainy on average 300 days out of the year...The people simply get depressed and suicidal I guess:banghead: , and it's a beautiful city and state too..
I used to live in a place called Millicent and another called Tantanoola near Mt Gambier in South Australia. It was the wettest part of the driest state of the driest continent on earth. Seriously it was cloudy and grey and drizzly for 10 months of the year. That district called the Green Triangle had the highest suicide rate for South Australia per capita.

Now to get back to work.

Tanatanloola,

Wasn't that the place with the "Tiger"?

Some storey about an excaped Circus animal from way back.

Its supposed to raom around kiling livestock.

It brought the tourists in. A little like Big Foot.

I used t know a mechanic from Millicent he ended up working for Peter Barnes in Birdsville. Haven't seen Ferg for maybe 15 years.

That's the place. I lived 2 streets up from the pub, never went in there though. The Tiger was actually some sort of dog thing and its been preserved taxidermiclly (sp?) and is on a shelf in the pub.

I moved to Millicent December 1989 two days before the Newcastle Earthquake, only lived something like 30 clicks from the epicentre before I moved to, Tantanoola in 1991 and moved back to NSW in December 1993, worked for 2 places in Millicent so its possible I know of your mate.

The one thing I have noticed about Australia is....It looks to me like Australia does not fund very well for their street improvements...It appears there are far too many unpaved roads around... Is this true and why?

The outback looks really bad...Dust, dirt, worn out suspension and greater chance of blowing a tire is the feeling I get...

Quick story - 10 years ago I was traveling in Costa Rica, checking out the rain forests, monkeys, parots, and what not... Anyway, the locals were beginning to riot against the government to pave their badly deteriorated dirt roads.. The elected officials were ignoring the peoples wants and a mini revolution occurred... I was in a cab with a bud and drove right thru the mess, rocks were thrown at our cab and we had to bolt and get out of Dodge in a hurry..Close call, very scary, the cab got thrashed needless to say..... I often wonder if those angry locals ever got those roads paved...

Plenty of dirt and gravel roads around, you just have to look at the size of this place, the roads are good to drive on if you know how to treat them. I do around 30,000 km year at least on un paved roads in a 2wd car and have had no problems at all.
It depends on the type of road surface but they can get quite corrigated. Don't have a picture of that but you just drive to the conditions.
I have recovery and puncture repair gear in the car and have never had to use it (touch wood).
Australians would be rioting for the next 40,000 years to get all the roads paved.
Most people would hardly ever have to drive on un sealed roads living in and around the big cities, it's only when you start going bush that the un sealed roads start.
It's part of what makes this country and I would never want it to change.

Plenty of dirt and gravel roads around, you just have to look at the size of this place, Australians would be rioting for the next 40,000 years to get all the roads paved.

That's my point, do the Australians in general care less about paving the roads? I know the US is even larger and paved coast to coast, like other countries as well, such as the Uk, Canada, Etc... No reason why your hard earned tax dollars can't start to pave those dirt roads... What's your annual income tax rate in Australia? In the USA it's like %20 percent of your annual income on average and that pays for our roads and upkeep?

It's kind of hard to race in a soarer on dirt roads, no?..:lmao:

Hard earned tax dollars fixing roads! lol, pretty unheard of actually.Our general taxes don't do roads, what does out roads. or is supposed to do our roads, is the incredible amount of tax we pay on fuel. If the fed gov't alone took its tax excise off, and not even thinking about the GST, our Unleaded would be about 80 cents to $1 a litre. Then you have state taxes, NSW has about 3 of them one is the 3x3 tax and it is specifically for State Roads, yet it doesn't do anything. On top of that we also have the fed gov't GST which is 10% of the overall price of everything. Our fuel is taxed so heavely it isn't funny.

About 20 years ago, the last time we had a federal labour and state labour gov't in power there was a huge political buck pass happening in NSW at least. There were signs on roads by the fed gov't, the state go'vt, and the local councils saying this road is fed, sometimes state gov't responsibilty. Then the fed and state gov'ts would put up signs blaming someone else for it. There were pot holes that would swallow a Mini Cooper S. Yes I am serious.

My local council, idiots that they are, have only just last week repaved a road that had nothing at all wrong with it, yet some locals have been asking for years to get a sealed section so their school bus doesn't have to travel on a pretty bad dirt road.

Our taxes are on a tiered system, the ore you earn the more you theoretically pay. The lowest level is about 20 or something cents in the dollar, the middle level is about 33 cents in the dollar, and the highest level is about 40 cents in the dollar (don't quote me on that). I think the OECD commission has stated that Australia is one of the heaviest taxed countries in the developed world. You know why the people pay so much tax, cause our government doesn't tax Overseas businesses all that much, not I'm not talking about cars either. If they would tax them a bit more they could halve the tax rates the Australian people pay.

20 mill people and country this size where 90% of population lives around the east coast. there's realy not much need to have roads that have very few vehicles on... having said that you could nearly drive right around the country and not go on gravel roads... The wet season up north posses problems with floods etc... But out back IS out back and most the pics you see most people don't go there.. Except when they go out of there way to do so...
Reminds me of a joke between an American [ are we allowed to say Yank?] An Aussie and a Kiwi...
The Yank said our country is so big it takes 3 months to drive around...
The Aussie said thats nothing my brother went for a drive a year ago and is not back yet.....
The Kiwi said..... Yea I had a car like that too....

Yanks is not a bad term as far as us Americans are concerned.. We just don't hear that term used that much to describe us in our home land...

So it sounds like your tax system is a bit out of wack in Aussie land... Well, no nation is perfect...We definetely have our problems here in the US and they are only getting worse...Like our Social Security system is about to go belly up if something doesn't change in the next 10-20 years... I can only hope to receive monthly government income checks after I retire in 20 or 30 years.. I am not counting or banking on it though.....

Yess same here.. I'm trying to be self funded.. have 3 rentals... Good super fund... But that can be turned into a pension with a stroke of a pen...
Your health system sucks over there from what I see.. Health Insurance is $$$ with out it is $$$$$..

Attachments

• wiring removed.jpg
    wiring removed.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 301
  • bare engine bay.jpg
    bare engine bay.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 303
Yanks is not a bad term as far as us Americans are concerned.. We just don't hear that term used that much to describe us in our home land...
Gee its nice to be able to cyber chat with Americans who aren't uptight about the word Yanks. I'm on a few forums and one of them the guys just hate it and really rip shreds off you for even suggesting it.

I don't have a problem with out general tax system, it not perfect but when you only have the number of people already mentioned you just don't have the ability to build infrastructure without a tax base like it.

I have driven the tropical north and from Darwin to Katherine the road is damm good. Just don't have soft compound tyres cause the road will rip them apart in no time flat. The difference in the tropical north roads from the NT to Qld and say WA is the NT roads are built up above the flood plain the Qld and WA roads aren't from what I know of.

Just a quick edit: By the looks of your post striker Holland, maybe all of Europe, follows the ancient seasonal markers. The Keltic fire festivals were held on the days you mention. Samhain, Beltain, Lughnasadh and I cant remember the other one were all on what we now say are the 21st and/or 22nd of June, December and I think March and August to. Basically the high, low and inbetween points of the suns travel through the sky. Linked to the afterlife to, they used to burn people alive in big Wickermen to send them off to the gods early.

yes "Summer sun Turns" and " and Winter sun Turns" on these 2 days. I believe it where the ancient germans that had the dark and light season which began and ended on the 21st of june and 21 of december.
there's also gatherings at stonehenge and aveburry on these dates.
funny thing is not only the kelts did that, I have seen the exact same thing in in Karnak (luxor or old thebes if you like) a sort of time piece that tells these happenings, and believe the maja and aztek people also used these dates, azteks would chop of someones head and play an ancient type of football with it at summer sun....:wtf:

The older people of holland have maintained the dates for defining when summer and winter begin, I believe they where the klok and/or trechterbeker people. there's also a moon version, that's supposed to still be in use by some wicka enthousiast.

@ Jibby: thanx for the compliment, more then welcome to hop over one day for a cup o coffee or a beer if you're in the country. it is indeed a very clean/neat country but that's size related, it so small it's not that easy to keep clean, don;t let anything fool you though, the industrail area at rotterdam (entry harbour to europe) has the worst air quality of all of europe. much better at ou place in the woods.
ps: I have dark hair and brown eyes....... sure he was in holland?
Vivian my grilfriend has blonde and blue combo though,

Grtz Thomas

had just missed the page on taxes,

Jibby if the ausie system is of whack as you call it, we europeans and expecially dutch must completly out of our minds.

example.

a new car costs $10.000 euro of toyota
we have to pay 45% BPM tax over the catalogue price of the car just to get it registered on our name.
then we have to buy the now $14.500 car of toyota
so BTW (vat in UK) of 19% must be payed over the 14.500 making a total of $17255 that what you pay over here just to BUY a car that would cost $10.000.

then you are on the road, besides the normal fee for getting an APK (mot) every now and then, you'd have to pay road tax.
depending on weight and type of fuel
My honda 1200kg running LPG G3 costs 35 euro's a month
would it be running NON g3 it would cost 67 euro's a month
gas and diesel are in between those two prices. diesel is more expensive because the fuel is cheaper.

a Litre of Diesel 1 euro and 40 cents
a litre of Ron98 1 euro and 70 cents
a liter of LPG 68 euro cents

about 60 percent of those prices are said to be taxes.

anyway we have VERY good road quality and you can get through the whole country in no time at all, at night that is. day time it's not uncommon to have 400km's of traffic jam in rush hour, (that's longer than the country is i might ad)
even though we have the most km's of highway per square km in he world, but it cost some dear money I might say,

PS stormtrooper, that's a nasty cloud rolling down the valley, sure would get me running. What a beautifull country in the back of the car not a soul to be seen as far as you can see.......

grtz Thomas

We have Luxury Car Tax that is charged on any vehice valued over $48,000.00.

The tax kicks in at $48,000 and is around 25% of the vehicles value.

I was driving a Mercedes Benz Cl63 today. It retails at a tad over $500,0000 Aussie (around $480,000 USD)!!!

The landed price is not much more the $200,000, the rest disapears as Tax.

If you want to drive a nice car expect to pay for it.

Oh by the way that thing flies for a 2.5 tone vehicle and sounds sweet at 7,500rmp which is the redline!

I also drove C63 andML63. The C is a real drivers car but I won't swap my Wife's SLK55 for it.

Zuffen, it must be nice to be able to afford those toys of yours... Those Merc's are nice as I see them around town and I must say those CL65's are very nice... I can't believe the taxes you guys pay for new car purchases.. That's highway robbery... What about new home purchases?

Striker, your tax in Holland is absolutely insane for new car purchases...I would be riding my bicycle or get a motor bike instead, forget that... Or I would be playing the loto and hoping for a miracle.. We Americans luckily don't have car taxes, etc.. No gasoline tax either... There is a common sales tax on all new car purchases but that is only 8.5% if I am not mistaken... That goes for just about anything you purchase here in the United States...There is a common sales tax on all goods purchased but not on services provided..... I guess we have it good that way...WOW!!! Oh I forgot, there is high taxation on cigarette purchases, that's about it..

Stormtropper - I don't see why Americans would be disturbed over the term "Yankee".. Keep in mind Americans don't all think a like... We are very diversified, we have many different cultures and political parties. Speaking with an American that is a hardline conservative would be alot different then speaking to an extreme liberal... So I would have to say America is becoming like one big melting pot as we have so many different cultures co-existing in this country it is not even funny...Just in Los Angeles, California alone, we have a little China town, Korean town, Down town Los Angeles is like little Mexico, the getto's are a whole different beast altogether, etc....In Miami, Florida it's like 50% Cuban, etc. etc.. In New York you have little Italy, and others, etc.. Come to think of it there is no little Australia here in the States yet...Give it some time though and I wouldn't be suprised if one pops up...Are borders tend to be wide open....It's hard to say one American will think like another... I am sure you get some of that diversity like that in all countries though...

For this reason alone I dought any foriegn country would ever go to war against us... They would probably be bombing their own people here in the States.....

XR8tt - I can't knock it though, my roots come from Italy and England... If the borders weren't open back in the day for Grampa and Granny I might be typing this post in another country right now.. The Mexican onslaught I do have a problem with, as the Mexicans are just flooding in over here, having babies, taxing our health care systems, flooding our courts, streets, parks, etc.. Basically changing our culture right before our eyes.....It's a slow takeover here in Los Angeles, California, Texas too...English is practically a second language now, it's a total joke... Times have changed that's for sure.. Comprehende por favor?:sombrero:

My brother lives Naperville Ill..
I went over there to see him about 4 years ago.. I hired a car from Canada, Toronto and drove to his place... I stopped and asked for directions at a Walmart store which was about 4 miles away from brothers place..
Hardly anyone could understand what I was saying!!! It was late in the day... Mrs did very well reading map to get that far!! We all know how well woman read maps !! Lol... Now I'd take my GPS....GPS = happy wife = happy life...

The sad thing about this Mexican on slaught in the US, is that now the Latino numbers have increased so much they almost hold the majority vote in California and in Texas. This makes it very hard for runner up canidates to preach about closing off the boarders as they will probably lose the Mexican votes... The situation will only get worse unfortunately as also big and small businesses love the cheap Mexican labor costs.. Are farming systems also now depend on the Mexican laborers..

Does any of your countries have a potential immigration problem brewing?