Learn by others peoples errors

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a sad story to save you making the same mistake I did.

About 6 weeks ago I orderd a set of ignition wires, 2 rotors and 2 caps from an online supplier.

A week or so later a box arrives from the US. The contents 1 set of wires, 1 cap and 1 rotor.

An email (polite) had them send replacements the same day. They were excellent and admitted their error. I'd use them again and give them a plug here. www.importec.com

My real problem started a week or so after the second delivery when I finally got around to fitting the parts.

All went well until I got to #2 spark plug (this happens to be the last one I did) when I discovered I had 7 plug leads and 3 coil leads.

An email (polite) to the manufacturer of ProConnect leads, Prestolite didn't get a response.

I waited 2 weeks and sent another telling them to visit this Site and check out my user name and that I would share my experience with members if they felt they didn't need to reply.

I guess they figured they didn't need to reply so now I'm sharing my problem with you the members.

Long story short; do not use Prestolite products as their after sales service does not exist.

Anyone need a spare coil lead?

Rod,

Sorry to heard your bad experience. From massive demand from our members and i also worked out a special deal with a loca Lexus Dealer. Now we can offer OEM parts directly from Lexus. Try this place next time. http://parts.lextreme.com Its not completely done yet, but working on it slowly with few other Lextreme Members. Its very time consuming. We are trying to help our members with oem product at discount prices.

I read about prestolite. How good are they?

Thats one reason why I got my leads/rotors/caps off local place.
I looked into getting them from the US, but in the end it would have only saved $30AUD or so, so it wasn't worth it.

Plus, if I didn't like the product I would have taken it back (I heard a rumour that the Top Gun leads were too long for the covers. Its true, but its only an inch or 2, so its manageable. If it was any worse they would have been returned).

I had quite a time just trying to stuff all of the replacement Bosch wires into the plastic ducts; they weren't the correct length, and I will go OEM next time without a doubt.

just be careful
cheap leads look and feel cheap and usually when u fit them and mayb e a year later u have to remove a lead i find sometyimes the terminal gets left in the cap

for quality u cannot beat toyota leads

topo gun and other brands are good but in the long run i dont htink they compare

my crown leads lasted 12 yrs if i go by the date stamped on them

i would love to see an aftermaket brand last that long

Interesting thoughts.

When I tried to remove the #8 plug the socket wouldn't engage the spark plug.

It took a torch and mirror to reveal the terminal was still attached to the plug as it has pulled out of the lead. This was the original Toyota lead.

I had to use a 1/2" drive socket (I only use 1/2" for big nuts/bolts) and a short length of hollow 1/2 square tube to get the plug out.

The leads are a quality brand, there just isn't enough of them.

hehe i might be wrong zuffen :)

just over the past 12 years of working on cars nothin fits as neat as oem leads

Jim,

I agree 100% nothing ever fits as good as OEM parts. No ifs or buts!

When i purchased the leads I was looking at going coil on plug and figured I would only use the leads for 12 months.

Had the same problem as Zuffen.
Looked at the price difference between OEM and aftermarket, thought the same as Peewee.
Aftermarket for sure can't be that bad ?
The length was ok, went on not bad.
After a week of driving the odd little miss and when it came to changing the plugs.
Huh, the leads literally feel apart with a bit force to pull the back ones out.

Don't have an ounce of trouble with the Toyota units.
The miss is gone and they dont fall apart.

I suppose this is one of those situations that comes along every now and then, where the pricey item is worth every cent !

Regards

Stephen

I've pulled out my topgun leads at least 20 times, and they are fine.
Half the problem is that we can't easily put thicker leads in, so they have f**kall shielding.
If they are touching each other, they will crossfire.

As will saying genuine is better, most of the time 'genuine' parts are not made by Toyota anyway. Most things are rebadged, and a 300% markup.
You just have to find out who is the original supplier.

Attachments

• Supra 1 Paint.jpg
    Supra 1 Paint.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Supra dent.jpg
    Supra dent.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 12
Hi guys

I tune cars for a living and fit a lot of leads. In NZ genuine leads for Toyota, Mazda and Nissan are very competitive. Mitsi and holden genuine are very expensive. The Competitive brands are easier to fit as the come with all the little clips attached. Another thing to check when replacing leads is the conductive material. Some aftermarket leads are still silicon suppression instead of the far better spiral wound. I often fit Bosch but on some models they are not quite right. As for crossfiring - This should not happen with a good quality lead on a ignition system in good condition. The leads could be taped together and it shouldn't happen. Cheers Kelvin