Just Purchased 99 Gs400!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

trini14

Hey Everyone!
My name is Kevin. I'm a noob to the forum. I just acquired a 99 Gs400 over the weekend!! Truly a beast under the hood! :D And soooo much sexier than 3rd gen lol

I have spent some time reading and researching before I officially joined,and I look very much forward to being a part of this community!:)
Thanks Guys!

Kevin welcome; and IMO you're right on the money about the looks of that GS.

Next, start plotting how to make it run as good as it looks!

Bushings..

:confused:

I have a problem guys....
Based on my research throughout the forum I think my Gs400 might have a bushing issue.

Symptoms--

Unstable steering at high speeds(over 50)
Steering feels like it is wandering when turning lanes at high speed
When making a U turn, I sometimes hear and feel a pop

Also, when I lock the steering wheel in either direction and I look at the control arms, they seem fine but on both sides their is space in the bushing thats about the thickness of 3 or 4 Quarters(.25's)

I am very comfortable doing the bushing install as laid out by Lex in the Tutorial's, Its just that those installs were for an Ls, I believe it should be about the same, either way I will be documenting and posting the procedures when complete.

Am I on the right track? Please help!! Thanks Everyone:)

Your lower ball joints need to be changed. It's the most common suspension problem on those GS's.

BIG TIME AGREE...

the 2nd gen GS definitely has a history of broken lower ball joints. Broken joints allow tire/wheel to crash into the bodywork creating a big mess.

Replacement is inexpensive and easy and does not even require a re-alignment. Simple bolt on process.

Regardless of what else may be a problem do this FIRST.

Ball Joints!

BIG TIME AGREE...

the 2nd gen GS definitely has a history of broken lower ball joints. Broken joints allow tire/wheel to crash into the bodywork creating a big mess.

Replacement is inexpensive and easy and does not even require a re-alignment. Simple bolt on process.

Regardless of what else may be a problem do this FIRST.

thanks so much guys for all your insight and advice.

I decided to purchase the FL and FR ball joints for installation this week.
Does anyone have any pics, steps etc... or anything that might prove helpful to me in this install? THANKYOU!!!:):)

thanks so much guys for all your insight and advice.

I decided to purchase the FL and FR ball joints for installation this week.
Does anyone have any pics, steps etc... or anything that might prove helpful to me in this install? THANKYOU!!!:):)
I would point you to threads at ClubLexus, but they banned me from there due to "member withdrawal from community" :rolleyes:

Thanks So Much Thermactor!!
I will keep everyone posted!!

p.s -- myheadlights seem to be way outta alignment, seem to be aimed to high.... i read on a post somewhere this needs to be done at the dealership, and I read elswhere it can be done with a "very long phillips screwdriver" any ideas/suggestions??? thanks so much!!

Gs400 / ls400

Welcolme trini14.... So you've got yourself a '99 GS.... beautifull......
..Ive been hooning around for the last 12 months in my Luxo-V8-loco... a
'99 LS400. I think the GS is quicker off the mark than the LS as its lighter..
but mine's got more wood than yours so there......
Mines also got a 'clunk' coming from both front wheels when i go over a speed bump too fast and the wheel quickly falls back on rebound.... 'clunk' !!!
and even though it drives beautifull, i can tell the steering isn't as tight as it should be... so i know i have to do bushes of some sort.......
.... But at the moment i'm doing research as to what Torsen unit LSD will swap over..... I believe any 8" unit out of a Supra TT auto or 5MT, or any A**B series LSD from a late model Soarer or Supra made after 5/96 will be a Torsen 2... which i would prefer over the earlier Torsen 1....
... Or a Japanese made adjustable KAAZ... DAT3020 1.5way.... So i'm just kinda waiting for a Toyota Torsen to turn up then i'll get a transmission / diff guy to install it...... Then get ready for some serious drifting baby!!!!! :)

Headlights

Oh yeah..... while were on headlights...... my hi-beam is utter crap.... its got the HID low beam which are pretty good but hi-beam totally crap......
and, while i'm on a roll..... there's a near non-existent reversing light... reversing at night terrible.....
Anyone got any surgestions ?

fastegg,

The early LS almost always needs a new set of front strut rod cushions. They are the large donuts that tie the strut rod to the lower arm. They make a night/day difference. Bushings all around will guarantee a brand new suspension feel. I'v owned 2 SC's and and 2 LS over the years and a complete bushing kit is usually my first mod before anything else.

I bought a kit for the SC with 40 poly bushings for about $175 shipped. I decided to overhaul the entire car before my climate gets real cold. The GS generally has more aftermarket support than the SC but after doing a quick search I could only find a company called AST that offers polyurethane raplacements listed below. Im sure the site below has more bushings if you do a search.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base