Jeep Cherokee Lexus V8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hvogel2be

Hi Guys

This is my first time posting here so am very exited to join the Lextreme community...;)

I have done some searching and haven't really found all the questions I was hoping to find so I though let me start a thread:D

As you might have guessed I have a Jeep cherokee KJ CRD without a motor:mad:

Best bet would be to swap for a Lexus V8 right??

Has anybody done this exact swap? Yes I know venter has done it on his Grand cherokee but mine is a little different.

In particular I would need to know how if anybody has designed mounting brackets that will fit the cherokee:confused:

That will be a good start for me;)

This thread will contain a proper write-up of installing a Lexus V8 into a Jeep cherokee.

I'm holding thumbs that everybody will enjoy and find useful information.

Much appreciated

What I have so far...

A complete service manual for a Jeep Cherokee KJ all model 2000 pages:eek:

Can't post it because it's 66 mb but if you need it PM me and I'll send it to you.

Also I have plenty of wiring diagram of different Lexus V8.

I need specific details on how to wire the spitronics into the current jeep BCM and PCM to get all the gadgets on the dash to work and off course to get the motor running.

Good luck with your swap; it's just what the Cherokee needs.

Can't help much with anything specific to the Cherokee, but there are lots of resources here for the 1UZ, and many of us who'll be watching your thread and cheering you on.

Good luck with your swap; it's just what the Cherokee needs.

Can't help much with anything specific to the Cherokee, but there are lots of resources here for the 1UZ, and many of us who'll be watching your thread and cheering you on.

Thank you...

I will be sure to post lots of pics and as much info as possible.

But I am going to need all the help I can get.:confused:

I have taken on reasonable projects in the past with a fair amount of success but this blown the other out of the water...

Hold thumbs please....

Plans for the weekend:

Clean out engine bay.
measure mounting to see how much modification will need to be done.
start working out the wiring of the current ECU etc. (find all the wires I will need to run the motor.
Do lost of reading...:eek:

Hi Guys

I made some measurements in the engine bay and got a bit of a fright when I noticed that the front diff of the Jeep is in the way of the sump of the lexus V8:eek:

I used a picture with measurements that I found somewhere on this site to make a jig out of cardboard to dummy fit the engine for lack of a better phrase.:)

The motor is 650 mm high from sump to the top and I only have 680mm in the engine bay from diff to bonnet.

I could convert the sump to the back I've heard but if I could avoid it it will be better.

I'll have to see how the gearbox will line up with the propshaft and back diff before I can make a definite decision on whether the sump will be a problem or not:cool:

Last edited:
A sump swap is a doddle, but rear sumps are in high demand so you might have trouble finding one.

I used the the upper sump (alloy) part bolted to the bell housing to check for clearances . That way you don't have play around with the whole engine. Yes rear sumps are hard to find , I found one on here and swapped my front which was very fortunate .

What about doing something like this...

It seems easy enough?

Attachments

• Oil pickup.jpg
    Oil pickup.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 23
  • image-5_zps172fc2ab.jpg
    image-5_zps172fc2ab.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 24
  • image-5_zps62531a31.jpg
    image-5_zps62531a31.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image-5_zpsa8aaac6a.jpg
    image-5_zpsa8aaac6a.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 24
Ha ha that's my pics of what I did . The rear sump wasn't quite rear enough so I made up the plate and bolted the sump to it and also off set as well . Doing this meant I needed the longer oil pick up I made earlier when I tried the same thing using a mid sump . The main thing I did to get things worked out was to try the fitment of the front sump, then I got hold of a mid , which worked out not quite right . Finally I got hold of the rear one and adapted that .

Ha ha that's my pics of what I did . The rear sump wasn't quite rear enough so I made up the plate and bolted the sump to it and also off set as well . Doing this meant I needed the longer oil pick up I made earlier when I tried the same thing using a mid sump . The main thing I did to get things worked out was to try the fitment of the front sump, then I got hold of a mid , which worked out not quite right . Finally I got hold of the rear one and adapted that .

Do you have any pics?

I would really like to pick your brain once I finally get my motor and do some dummy fits..:D

I am buying the motor complete with gearbox (auto)

Will have to do an adaptor plate for the transfer case though.

Thanks for the input

Another question I had was the throttle?

The jeep also uses fly by wire so would it be possible to integrate into the 1UZ?

I will be running the existing Jeep ECU's in conjunction with an aftermarket ECU to control the Lexus...

Any suggestions?

Just to give you an idea here is a couple of pics of the Jeep I'm building

Attachments

• Jeep 3.JPG
    Jeep 3.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_4297.jpg
    100_4297.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Jeep 8.JPG
    Jeep 8.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Jeep 9.JPG
    Jeep 9.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_4299.jpg
    100_4299.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Jeep 6.JPG
    Jeep 6.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 15
Gloverman will give you a lot more info mate . What auto have you got in there now . If your running the Lexus motor and box you won't need the jeep ECU . I reckon you would find it easier to install a standard throttle cable.

Thing is the jeep ECU works a little different.

It's got a body control module that controls lights seats keys locks etc. and a Powetrain control moduel that controls the engine etc. But they kinda work together to control the tacho meter. Speedo etc.

I will need to keep the current ecu running if I want all the niceties on the jeep working.

The jeep doesn't use throttle cables from the actual throttle. It also uses fly by wire so will need to figure out a way of integrating them.

:confused:

The UCF30 3uz uses full DBW. Is the dash CAN? The later cars are pretty much going the same as your jeep. Common as these days. The wiring is becoming one of the biggest parts of the Job.