Is LPG OK for 1UZ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
hi-lex said:
Try this link, gas injection, not the old hat gas carb junk, looks very interesting
http://www.gas-injection.com/lpg-gas-injection-technologies.html
last time i enquired with them, they were looking for investors there have only been a few prototypes completed, i'm sure it will be a great thing if it ever gets off the ground. was going to be a bit more expensive than the GAS RESEARCH when i enquired last year.

yeah they had it on new inventors last night on abc, I like the bit about more power and 27% better economy, and uses factory computer but gas only is down side

I have ran staright gas in my 253V8 Holden powered 2wd drive for years. Runs a B2 converter with the good old Rochester 4 barrel baseplate and mixer on top. Done the ignition mods, 10.5:1 compression, right cam, porting etc. Done 250,000klms with a stack of towing without a problem. Lots of power ro be found in the ignition setup. Economical and makes really good power. Next project I am looking at a Lexus V8 on gas in a HR Holden. The gas injetion looks like a really good thing or go the GRA carb

Rickfred, have you seen any valve seat recession with your setup? Are you running Flash Lube?John

This engine was originally set up this way for petrol only. I went to straight gas as the fuel quality dropped off and the price went up. If I had intended to run gas from the start (built the engine in 1991) I would have gone to different valve seats as well. Speaks volumes for the flash lube.

Lots of misinformation about Flash Lube on the 'net. Some say it's snake oil, some swear by it. Good to hear something positive from an actual user.

I'm not familiar with the motor in your Holden; does it have hydraulic lifters, or do you have to check/adjust valve lash occasionally. With due respect, I'm just curious if you might have some valve recession without knowing it.

John

cribbj said:
Lots of misinformation about Flash Lube on the 'net. Some say it's snake oil, some swear by it. Good to hear something positive from an actual user.

I'm not familiar with the motor in your Holden; does it have hydraulic lifters, or do you have to check/adjust valve lash occasionally. With due respect, I'm just curious if you might have some valve recession without knowing it.

John
after 250,000km would it even matter if there was valve seat recession?, the holden 253 has cast iron block and heads and even if it had to have the heads redone, the savings running on gas for this amount of time have probably paid for the car many times over

Probably doesn't matter much on a Holden motor, but according to the title of the thread we're concerned about running LPG in the 1UZ. So if there's "some" undetected valve seat recession on a cast iron head, how much more will there be on a soft aluminum head?

The real point is whether Flash Lube is effective or not - if it actually does help, then it's probably a worthwhile addition to an LPG system on an aluminum motor.

cribbj said:
, how much more will there be on a soft aluminum head?

The real point is whether Flash Lube is effective or not - if it actually does help, then it's probably a worthwhile addition to an LPG system on an aluminum motor.
i always was under the impression that all unleaded and alloy heads had hard valve seats fitted to the alloy head so valve seat recession should not be an issue, as unleaded fuels dont contain lead which used to be the prevention on cast iron heads, i am not a head reconditioner, but i have had many falcons with alloy head six cyl motors and i have not heard of this problem generally, i personnaly would assume the 1UZ will be fine also. maybe a new thread "is valve seat receesion on a 1UZ an issue on LPgas " if you are concearned, i'll be the Guinnea pig so to speak as mines been on gas for 30,000km already and i dont care if it has head probs as i'll just buy another motor if it dies which i highly doubt it will.

I for one would be very interested in your valve lash measurements after running on gas for awhile. Do you have a baseline measurement from when you were running on petrol? Are you running the Flash lube system?

All alloy headed engines run hardened valve seats.

Valve recession with these engines is not a problem.

You can run gas without problems.

cribbj said:
I for one would be very interested in your valve lash measurements after running on gas for awhile. Do you have a baseline measurement from when you were running on petrol? Are you running the Flash lube system?
answers to above questions are no
if it aint broken don't fix it.

You guys are all correct. The cast iron head Holden motor runs hydraulic lifters. Regardless of what's actually happening with the heads, it has been a very reliable workhorse and super cheap to run. I have had no reason over 250,000k's to remove a rocker cover, so if it ain't broke- don'e fix it!! It's good from Zuffen that the 1uz is good on gas as well!
cribbj- I have my flach lube system flow turned way down from what is recommended, but it is still trickling in there. I am not game at this point in the motors life to shut it right down just in case I stuff my heads up.

Also guys, my Holden 4.2lt V8 is in a '79 Hilux 2wd. I am about to sell it. My next project is my dear departed Dad's beloved HR ('67) Holden Premier sedan with a 1UZ. The HR will be a daily driver so the LPG will be the go. Good performance and $20 a week to run!!

Anyone out there actually done the LPG thing on a 1UZ for a reasonable period of time that has solid evidence that the heads will be OK. Have you got some more info on that Zuffen?

Back to my question, are they prone to cracking heads like the 3rz? because of the higher combustion temps of LPG many 4 valve motors are not able to use it for any length of time, this is what I was told anyways, valve seat recession isnt the biggest fear, cracking IS the prob with the 3rz and it is just like half a 1uz being from the same era, so has anyone used gas for any length of time?

There was a LPG injection system to suit a V8 that came with a Haltec ECU that was on sale on ebay for $1500 not long back. Came with 8 injectors and came off a GenIII, made 550hp with more to go.

I was extremely tempted to buy it but thoguht id better get the car first.

Ill see if i can remember wat company it was that was selling it.

My friends dad has a workshop thats getting its LPG injection installer ticket ATM so maybe he can hook us up with group deal hehe.

Dont bother with Gas Research carbies or Impco for performance applications, id go straight to an injection setup.