LPG on a 1UZ

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
BlownV8 said:
yes, pics please.
pics are pretty self explanitory, gas research on the old six cyl and commodore gas mixer plumbed in just before the throttle body on 1UZ the converter is buried under wires and hoses but is a small complex converter should be ok for upto 4000 lexus rpms(hardly good enough for spirited driving)
ask away if need info i may have some clues

Ignition for LPG setup on 1 UZ

I have a simple answer to all your ignition questions on how to run a stand alone ignition with the LPG. Look at www.directignition.com and then email or ring me on 0419702240 to get your XDI Direct Ignition within Australia. I have already had experience with this system on LPG cars and even a drag car in the past. I can also supply LPG components to you. The XDI is a very simple system to use and i am sure you all are smart enough to setup and install in a matter of hours at home

techo said:
I have a simple answer to all your ignition questions on how to run a stand alone ignition with the LPG. Look at www.directignition.com and then email or ring me on 0419702240 to get your XDI Direct Ignition within Australia. I have already had experience with this system on LPG cars and even a drag car in the past. I can also supply LPG components to you. The XDI is a very simple system to use and i am sure you all are smart enough to setup and install in a matter of hours at home
interesting(that grren2 door wagon is almost a holden gemini in AUST )
do you have an ignition set up that is a simple plug in job for the 1UZ, or should i be directing this question tho the Australian distributor in NSW?? i was considering keeping the std ECU and running it on Duel fuel(good enough performance on LPgas, BETTER performance on petrol)

deankdx - The only sensor that I can see being upset by the Gas Research carbs is the TPS and it would just need remounting to give a signal to the computer.

Had another chat to the Gas guys here in Canberra today - the standard gas mixer setups (falcon 6, Holden v6) can only flow 200 hp which would explain the lack of power on a 1uz or 265 hemi over 4500 rpm - so you need 2 of them. The Imco 425 (Holden/Ford fourbarrel) flows equal to 600cfm which will allow about 400-450hp with FI. You will also need 2 convertors to flow that gas and dual lines to the convertors.

Hope this helps. I'll post pics soon, welding my turbo manifolds this week. Gas guys reckon we can lock the igntion on my motor, run a simple ignition module for my gas, and tune it for a safe 400hp with the twin turbo's and lpg - we'll see when they try (they arefairly experienced with dyno's/efi and gas).
Talked to a guy with a 350 chev a couple of weeks ago and he had 2 converters and 2 turbos running into dual GR Carbs, and it kept freezing up, but not before recording 1200 crank hp. He got rid of it all and then found he should have had 3-4 convertors.

xdi system

techo said:

Techo - The xdi system looks good - how much is it in Australia?

here are a few prices for gas research items
carbies - $440
converter with primer - $206.80
converter w/out primer - $176
lock offs - $44

Converters are good for 300 Hp each. Carbies available in 400, 440, 480 and 510 CFM.

Rough calculation say that a 1uz at 7000 RPM at appro 90% efficiency will swallow a bit below 500 cfm.

These prices are from gas research them selves.

BlownV8 said:
here are a few prices for gas research items
carbies - $440
converter with primer - $206.80
converter w/out primer - $176
lock offs - $44

Converters are good for 300 Hp each. Carbies available in 400, 440, 480 and 510 CFM.

Rough calculation say that a 1uz at 7000 RPM at appro 90% efficiency will swallow a bit below 500 cfm.

These prices are from gas research them selves.
that sounds cheap, in that case the main expense that was included in my last quote would be labour(1200 bux a few years ago under bonnet for my 6 cyl falcon)i reckon the lexus motor would be better eith an impco 425 if it had a conventional manifold see below for before and after on the Valiant six
i'm guessing that my S-400 will be fine at 6grand with the crown headers then on my 1UZ in my falcon

G'day Guys,
I found on my 4.2 Holden powered 2wd Hi-lux that it lacked after to 4krpm. It's drama was 2 fold. Fitted an MSD so it had a decent spark ( on point only before), ran 19degrees on the crank and 10 degrees in the dizzy and all is good!! Hazes the tyres in the first 3 gears. My mates 351 Ford same drama. It needed a better inition system so in went the MSD, but it did require 2 x B2 converters and twin Gas Research carbs set up progressively. Good on fuel and excellent performance. The Ford 351 needed similar timing figures to wake up. You would have to have a timing computer that will get the engine to run properly on LPG on the 1UZ if my experience with these dinosaur motors. Some one said earlier on this forum "why would you bother?" Kick arse performance at a reasonable running cost is why! My ute is as cheap to run as a 4 cylinder with a heap of fun for free!! Beats AUS$90 a week for fuel!!

Running standard computer with lpg and turbos??

Since the lpg system does all the fuel management, will my car run without the airflow meter as I've rewired the standard computer to initially use it with the auto computer to see what happens(using Rod and Kdogs great wiring diagrams).

Any thoughts on this? I'm only looking at running low boost (5-7psi) intitially to get the bugs ironed out and save more money to rebuild my spare auto to stronger specs, then swap to a piggyback or megasquirt (or autronic if someone chucks $2000 my way!).

Ed,

I'd imagine the ECU will go into limp mode if it can't see the ECU.

I think I would try with thr AFM first.

You have about 36hours to get it running!

Cause if we're all coming down to see your EH we also expect to hear it.

Lpg in 1UZ

G'day Edz,
I think Zuffen is right, start disconnecting things and the ECU may not like it.
Another way to go is LPG injection. There are a few systems around. Have a look at http://www.gas-injection.com/ This system uses "piggy backed" injectors and the all the stock compoents. Their dyno car actually made more HP than petrol!! No big converter to hide, a good setup. I emailed them 6 months ago and they were still getting ready to market. IMPCO also do gas injection.
Worth a google search also as there are more on the market.
If it will make a stock V8 perform better, with the compression raised and a dual map programmable chip dual fuel would be great with none of the usual half way between each system dramas. Straight gas would be better as you can use more compression again therefore more HP.
I am in the process of dropping a VT V6 into my Hiace van and will go gas injection. Done a lot of research and it really is the way to go. I will let you know what I find out. I will get it running on petrol and will probably use the GTi system when the get it on the market. (I do lots of miles all over the country).
Happy headscratching!!
Freddy

interestingly the new Gen3's - the only way to have them converted to LPG now is via a gas injection system, its 4.5k IIRC and theres no power loss or worse economy just cheaper to run.

gas injection has been on the cards for years, about time we caught up :)

The Dutch (Prins) and the Italians (OMVL) have some of the better, proven LPG SFI systems if you don't want to make too many changes to your existing setup.

If you're starting from a clean sheet of paper and planning a standalone ECU, there's a lot to like about the Prins injectors which are actually made by Keihin.

A mate of mine in Oz is putting a B22 Nissan motor in a 300 series Bimmer and powering it on LPG with a Megasquirt, the Keihin injectors, and AEM's P&H driver box. A real Frankenstein this project is, but he's had it running already on the OEM ECU with a piggyback, and just decided to go full standalone so he could dump the MAF and tune his maps a bit better.

My 1UZ project will be based on the Keihins as well. No photos as yet.

John

LPG Injection

Spot on Grega,
Using conventional LPG systems on the late petrol injected motors has big problems. Firstly, the inlet manifold normally has only air in it. When you fill it with LPG as well you get less air into the engine as the LPG takes up room in the manifold. If you have a backfire (due to a crossfire if the leads, nice hot engine sitting in traffic, etc.) the Chevs and Holden V6 engine generally blow the rocker covers off the motor. Bad!! Had it happen to me, airbox blown to bits the whole deal!
I would imagine the same could happen with a 1UZ. However, if the LPG is injected, everyhting is the way it should be. No backfires (only air in the inlet) and more horsepower not to mention 50c a litre.
Freddy

yes, i suppose it would probably get more interesting also with the HFV6 and the Gen3's having the plastic type inlet plenums ect - not sure how well these would cope with an LPG backfire.

i know of a guy who was working on an LPG injection system some time ago on a 4AGTE but don't know how far he got, i must chase him up.

the only thing i'm not too keen on is the piggybacking of the new gas injectors into the stock ports where the OEM injectors go. not sure how efficient this will be, remembering injector positioning is quite important, although, this wouldn't be an issue on a single fuel LPG system now would it :)

FWIW this is my mess :

DSC01738.JPG

sorry its not a 1UZFE. blow thru turbo setup on a 2T motor.

running?? Yeah right - good joke

Zuffen said:
Ed,

I'd imagine the ECU will go into limp mode if it can't see the ECU.

I think I would try with thr AFM first.

You have about 36hours to get it running!

Cause if we're all coming down to see your EH we also expect to hear it.
I wish I was that close, maybe in January!
bigeyes.gif

lpg injection

Rickfred said:
G'day Edz,
I think Zuffen is right, start disconnecting things and the ECU may not like it.
Another way to go is LPG injection. There are a few systems around. Have a look at http://www.gas-injection.com/ This system uses "piggy backed" injectors and the all the stock compoents. Their dyno car actually made more HP than petrol!! No big converter to hide, a good setup. I emailed them 6 months ago and they were still getting ready to market. IMPCO also do gas injection.
Worth a google search also as there are more on the market.
If it will make a stock V8 perform better, with the compression raised and a dual map programmable chip dual fuel would be great with none of the usual half way between each system dramas. Straight gas would be better as you can use more compression again therefore more HP.
I am in the process of dropping a VT V6 into my Hiace van and will go gas injection. Done a lot of research and it really is the way to go. I will let you know what I find out. I will get it running on petrol and will probably use the GTi system when the get it on the market. (I do lots of miles all over the country).
Happy headscratching!!
Freddy
Look forward to any info on this subject, I agree, now that I think about it, the computer will probably go into limp mode. However, if it gets it running, I can then run a magasquirt or an aftermarket computer as I'll know it runs.