LPG on a 1UZ

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

400ZED

GAS RESEARCH PROS AND CONS

PROS
NO epa
No loud fuel pump
No expensive fuel syestem: Pumps injectors add up real quick
Easy tunning only need a ignition computer.
People have got more power with research carbs.
Cheaper to run
As it is easier to tune it is cheaper to modify the engine add FI or cams or an exhaust
It is the only way you can do a aftermarket computer legally in AUS

CONS
Have to plug injector holes in manifold nobig issue
Smells like a BBQ
Shorter range
New tank and gas lines if doing a full conversion they all get done any way
Would want two carbs probably so you would want a twin TB setup not a bad thing in the long run

What does any one think why and why not

with a ignition only computer. or just use the ignition circuit on the oem computer.
Have you already put the gas on.
and as for auto run a crown auto computer take all the imputs you need from the motor. there are a few ways of skinning this cat.

no, no ignition on yet. no car actually, but, getting there...(planning here)
was thinking of the stock ECU but need to find ignitors (look to be same as 4AGE types anyway) and air flow meter...

agree, can run the outputs from the ECu to the stock crown auto computer to make that happen also (have to find crown auto computer too :) )

speaking of ignition only computers if you're thinking IG5 haltech don't make them anymore and you have to run a module which changes the mag type output from the crank sensor and cam sensor(s) to something the haltech can understand...

You won't be able to run the stock ECU with gas, it has different ignition timing (at least a proper install does, you could do it dodgy I guess). You need an ignition ECU, any programmable ECU will be able to do it but it is kind of a waste if your only using the ignition side. Mega squirt did have a programmable ignition kit underway and it looked to be the goods. Don't know if its finished yet.
If you want to run the gearbox ECT you will need to run the stock engine ECU (which isn't recommended) as the ECT gets its signals from the ECU not direct from the engine. An ECT from a car which runs direct signals would be the way to go. But you will need to change the TPS as well. You really only need TPS, engine coolant temp, neutral start, OD switch and a brake switch.

kdog, agree to a point, the stock ECU will control LPG ok, just, not as well as it should - due to LPG having a higher flashpoint and being a slower burning fuel it can live on much more advance than stock.

actually i'll prolly use your controller to do the auto. havent decided as yet...

Hmmm, my HZ already has an LPG tank in it so I am seriously thinking of using it with my turbo setup. As far as I know if you go for big HP numbers you need to have a larger line to the carby(s), is that a hard upgrade? . Does anyone know if there is a problem with intercooling?

if you turbo LPG, best to run a blow thru not a draw thru. no issues with intercooling either....re; the bigger lines you'll prolly have to have dual convertors and potentially twin feeds into your gas ring OR twin gas research throttle bodies.

you also have to run a line from the diaphragm side of the convertor to somewhere just before the throttle body for when pressure becomes positive (due to forced induction)

hope this helps.

Would this be the way to go if I'm on a budget? Condsidering I have the tank already installed and running on the old 202. How much would it be to upgrade all the stuff for a high hp application?

yes and no. depends on your system installed. remember your convertor (and possibly mixer) will be designed specifically for the TOT - so you may end up replacing bits and pieces of it along the way....

you also have to then figure out some way of doing the ignition on the 1uz....something i'm currently working thru and, that ain't looking on the cheapish side thats for sure.

also is your tank in date if not you'll have to get that checked/stamped and possibly replaced for when you get it engineered....

how much for a high HP app....how big is your wallet, with these things it can be endless....

hmm well I'm completly discouraged now! LOL. The tank was installed in Jan 1990 so that was a fair while ago. I found that in the box sittin on the rear of the tank

yeah if its over 10 years old it needs to be retested; i think the test is around $80 but remember you have to empty it and then remove the bastard; and, from memory it has to be done by an AAFRB place too......most of them come back OK the tanks are pretty good - its the ones that sit outside like under cars and 4WDs' ect that normally fail due to rust/corrosion.

sorry if i put you off.

So its ok runnin 1uzfe on gas then what about runnin different auto box with aftermarket computer. Was lookin at commodore box or something similar but just toying with ideas atm. Any help appreciated.

You need a very good reason to run gas.

The existing manifold works well.

If you want to use Gas Research carbs you need to make a new manifold and spend $1,000.00 (min) fitting gas.

Gas will give no more power than ULP or PULP.

Personaly it looks like a lot of work for little benefit.

Are you putting the engine in a late model car?

Message I posted in turbo section

Sorry to repeat this, but did a search for lpg and nothing came up - then stumbled across this section.

I am seriously thinking about fitting LPG tomy twin turbo setup with the aussie fuel prices looking like hitting $1.30 - $1.50 /litre by the end of the year ($US4 /gal). Lpg is 40c/litre!

The problem is I am getting conflicting information. I would like my finished setup to have around 400 kw at the engine (400 rwhp). I have been told that the Lpg systems are fairly simple and would be very risky when used in high horsepower applications? However, ther are a number of dinosaur motors (non ohc) and rotaries getteing 500-800 hp on LPG.

I have talked to gas research aust in Melbourne (they also do turbos) and my local dyno/lpg man (Gastune in Tuggeranong if you are looking for a fair friendly gas tuner in Canberra).
Initially I will just setup na with gas (but run dual lines straight off for later), using the factory computer as it only has to manage the ignition?( - this may change - maybe straight to an aftermarket asetup). Later I will have to worry about a more complex ignition system (maybe Haltech Ignition only) when I add turbo's. I would like to use Kdog's tiptronic system with the auto.

I know I need to run dual converters and lpg lines, run the lpg mixer just before the throttle body (and definitely after the intercooler unless you like grenades!). Has anyone got any info or tried this?

I have to worry about ignition retard etc later, but the haltech ignition only or some equivalent should be able to handle it? Also current lpg mixes have a lower octane rating than old mixes (used to be 110 but I hear around 95-100 is the norm.)

Read all the posts - lots of good info! I have just bought a gas setup (as above - two 81 litre tanks (8 yrs left in test), and am looking at the computer now to handle ignition.

1UZ-HZ - definitely the way to go, it may not cost you much less to setup than a petrol setup, however - then we can at least afford to enjoy driving it a lot!

well i've got more Questions and perhaps some answers?

regarding 1UZ on GAS RESEARCH (lpgas) i currntly have a ford falcon with crown V8 and it has a crappy gas converter from the 6 cyl ford conversion and a mixer from a V8 5litre commodore(inlet reduces to 40mm) without this mixer i noticed no performance drop but after a few weeks of driving without it and then deciding to empty the tank by running on gas till empty i have noticed a power loss after it was refitted. so i am considering a better LPgas mixer(and converter)
now i cant give you a performance idea on the current lpg system but i recon its ok for highway cruising etc, or tootling round town. it goes quite well on petrol still but the 40mm mixer inlet IS DEFINATELY causing a restriction.

i have also puchased recently a chrysler(valiant)(VG) 1970 coupe with 265 hemi 6 and its fitted with GAS RESEARCH setup(1 carb and converter)
i think this thing FLYS upto 4500rpm in first and second(havent gone fast in top gear auto) now i belive in NA form it would be sufficient to have one carb(probably only 1 converter?) on a 1UZ providing a 6000ish rpm limit
so in a Duel fuel set up could the throttle sensors from the toyota be fitted to the GRA mixer? i know all about the timing issues of the std ECU but it will work ok in my opinion and cost half as much to run on a Daily basis
i can take photos if required of the gas systems i have.

so my main question is whether the GAS RESEARCH carb can be fitted with the toyota sensors? i'm not using traction control.