Intercooler Effeciency Measuring Device

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hey Gang,

Got this unit from a hospital closed down. It has two electros and it has two input temperature reading. It can read in both F and C. I was wondering if i would drill two holes. One is before intercooler and one will be after and see the temperature change. What do u think? This is purely experiemental.

This temperature device is like the size of a Ipod.

nice score - pity about a hospital closing down though.

that should be a great tool for measuring pre and post temps.

Attachments

• rear-view.JPG
    rear-view.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1UZ-up.jpg
    1UZ-up.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1
  • from cockpit.JPG
    from cockpit.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
  • cockpit front.JPG
    cockpit front.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Side View.JPG
    Side View.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
If you only want a temporary check why not slide the electrode under a coupling pipe before and after thr core and tighten the clamps.

This will save trying to seal the hole during use and after you have your measurments.

I was thinking about the same thing. Just zip tie the two electros pre and post intercooler. From this method, i might not get immediate data. I would have to wait until the pipes get heated up first.

I was thinking of inserting the lead under the hose so the transducer was in the airflow inside the intercooler pipe.

This would give real time readings so you could compare on and off boost.

You can get a similar instrument from Tandy or Radio Shack, but not medical grade. I know in Australia you can also get them at ****(Richard?) Smith Electronics and Jaycar.

I have two of these units and i plan to take temperature pre and post intercooler and right at the throttle body and the last electro will be out side temperature.

I will drill and tap 1/8" npt with bar fitting at the above areas and at the same time I will take pre and post IC with fan on and off. I would like to know how much an IC fan would help or if it will help at all.

After I am done with this experiement, then i can plug up the taps.

I bought a CompuNurse for monitoring Computer CPU die temps several years back.
Such small probes are great! Understand that most don't respond instantly, and generally, the thermocouples are different, or not perfectly matched - so they can't normally accurately read the same thing on both probes.

I used mine in combination with the stock IAT sensor in my AFM to learn that the temp difference between a CAI/Ram air & a pod filter on a TB mounted mass meter is normaly very close when moving at nearly any speed!

That's in the ES/Camry tho & they're transverse, so the itnake isn't 8exactly* around any hot stuff.
(Remember over 90% of engine bay air exits the bottom of the engine bay also, and that generally is under 2-5in/water of vacuum. Depending on if you have stock, or a modified undertray.)