Instrument cluster does not work when cold?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

The O Show said:
Big Daddy Lextreme.......... What's up big poppa?

LS models are Cathode Technology, rather than the led's used in all the other Lexi models. They are a completely different critter. The problem most prevalent with the clusters are bad capacitors. You can replace the capacitors on the board and it will work like new again. There are a few specific one's but i am not aware of which because i hate cathodes, therefore i do not do the LS units. Go to your local electronics supply store (even radio shack in some places is stocked good enough to have them) and match the capacitors you see on your cluster (i'd just do the three largest size capacitors, below that shouldn't be large enough to be in main power lines). Caps are cheap, you can recap the entire unit with a $8 soldering iron and $25 worth of caps if not cheaper.

Screw paying $200 for someone to wrap the cluster in a slippery bag and return it to you where the sun doesn't shine. DIY ;) They are the cheapest one's to work on because essentially almost no parts are needed, and caps are dirt cheap.

If i had even a microscopic amount of intrest in doing the LS units i'd be a rich man from the markup the thieves make on repairing them.

......and no, i will not do them. :)

-The O Show.
I had the same problem and took my cluster gauge to an electrical store to ask about the capacitors. The technician over there looked at the capacitors and told me that all of the capacitors are fine. When the capacitors are bad, their bottom silver butts will pop open. So the problem might be something else. Is this right? Is there a way to test for the capacitors? I tested the resistors and all of them are fine.

I have the exact same problem wit my 93 ls400, thar's why I join this forum just recently!! I wanted to see if anyone had the same issues!! I will try the capacitor replacing and see if it works out and let you know. Is the cluster hard to remove??

thanks terbo

terbo said:
I have the exact same problem wit my 93 ls400, thar's why I join this forum just recently!! I wanted to see if anyone had the same issues!! I will try the capacitor replacing and see if it works out and let you know. Is the cluster hard to remove??

thanks terbo
I'm not sure if the LS's cluster could be taken out the same way as the SC. Mine is the SC. Anyway, try this link: http://www.planetsoarer.com/dashrepair/dashrepair.htm. Remember that I didn't have to take out the steering wheel parts. All I did was to move it out and down as far as possible. And then I zig-zagged the cluster out.

terbo said:

thanks terbo
Its pretty easy to remove the cluster. Here are the instruction, http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/electrical/instrumentcluster.html

As for fixing your lighting I go to this guy. He's really good and charge not that bad. He's lives local to me so I just drop off the cluster for him to do. I'm happy with the result.
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbo268