Ignition Help

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xirforever

Ever sense i put the engine back in my car (97 SC400) i have been having a very weird ignition problem. I have ignored it because it hasn't been too frequent until this week it acted up 5 times in one day, and that's getting ridiculous. So here is the problem: Randomly, one side of my engine will get no spark. During the first "episode" i traced the problem back to one ignitor, so i figured i had a bad ignitor. Well just to be sure, i fussed with the plug a little, switched the plugs, and bam, it started up. So now whenever my ignition randomly disappears, i just switch the plugs and it usually starts right up. Note that without switching the plugs around (sometimes a couple of times), the car will not start no matter how many times i crank the engine. I decided to check and see what happened if i put in a different set of ignitors, and the problem has been unaffected thus far.

What should i do to find the real problem? I plan on tracking my car as soon as weather permits and i would really not like to scare anyone with a car that could potentially die at any moment. It might make sense that when putting the engine back in i didnt connect a harness well, but then why would switching the plugs on the ignitors make any difference? Could it be rotors? I've checked the coils and the wires and all checks out there.

Not sure where to go
~Nick

If switching plugs gives a short term fix I would suggest you have corrosion on ther igniter or plug terminals.

Try cleaning them all with carby cleaner and see how that goes.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 326
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 320
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 315
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 308
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 306
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 303
If switching plugs gives a short term fix I would suggest you have corrosion on ther igniter or plug terminals.

Try cleaning them all with carby cleaner and see how that goes.

I haven't sprayed anything in there yet, i'll try that and report back