Hrmm.... SC400/Majesta etc driveshaft

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Damo

Here is a thought (albeit a bit strange).

With all the talk of having to modify transmission couplings due to the difference in driveshaft types, would it be possible to use a full two-piece SC400 driveshaft and mate it to my project car diff (Commodore/Calais)?

The issue then would be length and modifying one of the pieces to get the right length.

Is it feasible?

In using a SC400 shaft, would there be any modification up the diff end required? In terms of connecting the shaft to the diff I mean.

If its not too bad, maybe sourcing a spare sc400 (aka soarer?) shaft and possibly having to shorten/lengthen it maybe a damn sight cheaper than going a full custom job.

Damo,

There will be very little price diference between modifying the full Soarer shaft or just using the front coupling and having it grafted to your Commodore shaft.

The advantage of the Commodore shaft is you don't need to source the rear of an SC400. They will not be common and people will want money for them.

If I had the complete Soarer shaft I would use it. As you don't have it all go the Commodore.

Me very confused! I think it's starting to make a little sense now.

So, really, there should not be a problem in grafting the front coupling onto the commodore shaft then? I think I was under the mistaken impression that this could not be done, or it was undesireable.

Grafting the two was what I had in my mind from the start, so if it's feasible, that's probably what I'll stick with.

Will a driveshaft place require the full front piece of the shaft or just the bit that will be left on the half cut?

So long as u align the centre bearing of the commodore shaft to the gearbox output it should be fine to make a hybrid. Use the commodore tailshaft and graft the toyota coupler on to it, the diff wont mate up to a toyota shaft. Just remember the Toyota had an independant rear so the diff centre doesn't move, u can sort of have the same setup as the centre bearing is bolted to the floor of the car, but it is very important that it all lines up like a factory toyota as the rubber coupling wont have anywhere near as much movement as a uni-joint. After looking at my tailshaft it is pretty close to straight from the gearbox to the bearing, i positioned the gearbox so its the same as the original holden setup (I have a slip yoke rear on the gearbox).