hilux gearbox help!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

961uz4b

Hi there, I have a 1990 4wd dual cab hilux (ridged front axel), originally fitted with the 2.4 L 22r now fitted with a 1uzfe, I have been running the standard G52 box for almost a year now but cooked it last night.

So I am going to replace the box seeing as it would be pointless to rebuild it.

I am a wear that there is a G, W and R series box found in the 4wd 90’s model hilux.

I’m told that to fit the R series I would need a new bell housing and to modify the transfer case that came with it, as well as possibly make the transfer case electrics work, this seems to expensive and time consuming.

So I plan to fit the W series.

My questions are,

Did the w58 box come in a 4wd version in aus or only the w56, becuase I can only find the w56 at wreckers?

I have found a 2000 model 2.7 petrol W56 5 speed gearbox and chain drive Transfer case
at a wrecker and am thinking about buying this but am a little hesitant that it’s the wrong thing.

Also will the transfer case off my g52 mate up with a w56 or w58 box?

Or will i need to run the transfer case that comed with the w box?

The w56 and transfer case looks like it will fit but it has studs in the drive shaft flanges on the transfer case, and my original transfer case doesnt, im guessing its because that transfer case is for the 97 up ifs front hilux, will i have a problem if i connect this type of transfer case so my solid front axel set up?

Which bellhousing do you use? Dellows or CRS?

I think the Dellows housing does both but would pay to check with them

I did see recently an R150 out of a 4ruuner with transfer advertised on www.toyotasurf.asn advertised over your way for a reasonable price

Failing that the LN61 Surf has the W58 box but they tend to poo the input shaft bearings behind a V8