Hilux 4wd & Lexus Auto Box

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MADALLA

When descending steep slopes in low range, how does one keep the Lexus auto-box in first gear - i.e. prevent it from gearing to second ???:boggled:

Applying brakes defeats the purpose of using the gearbox only to control forward motion against the slope - driving "against" engine compression only to avoid wheel lock-up and subsequent skid/slide normally caused by applying the brakes ? Low range 4×4 in first (donkey gear) is one of the most common applications used by 4wd enthusiasts in hill descents - is this a non-option for 4wd Lexus auto-box drivers? Certainly hope not!

Well, my Lexus auto in my Hilux stays in 1st when I select it and in low range there is some degree of engine braking, but just like a manual box/engine combination, on steep hills you do need to also use the brakes. If your engine braking is inadequate, you may need to look at different gearing in your transfer case.
Ric

you could always do a manual conversion on the valve body..this was the site.. http://www.awshifting.com/ not sure anymore but what it does is fools the auto into locking the torque convertor in any gear.. essentually making a automanual..lol or you could check the relays and adjust them to the same result..or just rip it out and do a manual conversion..:p