Hiace Brake Upgrades

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JZH

There's not a lot of information out there about upgrading the brakes on a H200 Hiace, but my recent experience driving in Germany on the Autobahns has convinced me that I need better front brakes! (And suspension, and of course, V8 power...)

I've checked the OEM parts and dimensions, which are:

285mm OD
105mm ID
6 x 139.7mm
164mm hat diameter
28mm thick
48.6mm tall w/hat
Toyota pn. 43512-26190
Pads: Ferodo FCP4327 / WVA 24680, 145.55mm x 56.6mm x 15.5mm

No other vehicle seems to use the same pads (apart from the Nissan van, for some reason), and the Hiace's unusual wheel inset makes most other discs incompatible.

OEM calipers are single-piston (67mm) Sumitomos with mounting holes 172mm apart. I'm running S1HC 18x8.0J (inset 35mm) 6 x 139.7 XTRAP wheels by Work Wheels Japan (OEM wheels were 15x6.0J), so there is plenty of room for larger discs/rotors and calipers, but I can't seem to find anything OEM to swap from.

The discs seem to be the main obstacle--I can possibly fit bigger calipers to the existing mounts (or use adapters), but 285mm is not very big and no other common Toyota/Lexus discs seem to be compatible.

My best bet at the moment seems to be to go with a custom "big brake" upgrade from Ceika or ATTKD, but these solutions come at a significant cost (~US$1,700 + shipping). Any thoughts/experiences about this on the forum?

Cheers,

JZH

If you are prepared to use a 6 stud rotor that is the size you want and then use the calliper off the same vehicle you can fit whatever you want.

I have Nissan Patrol brakes on my Mitsubishi van and I just made new dogbones to mount the Nissan callipers and managed to go from tiny brakes to big ventilated rotors that really do work.

You need to think outside the box to get what you want.

I'm trying! But I think the Hiace rotors may be of an unusual overall height, due to the OEM wheel "inset". I remember trying to find any other 6x139.7mm wheel that would fit the van, but all the other wheels have some measure of offset. Had to get wheels shipped from Japan in the end.

Maybe the hat height difference is manageable? I'll have to find some more 6x139.7mm rotor dimensions and check, but I thought it was around a 10mm difference. Without actually measuring, I'd guess that that's enough for stuff to start hitting other stuff...

I'd be happy to use OEM brakes, but I'm not thrilled about most of the OEM Toyota/Lexus options. Supra TT calipers are nice, but seem to cost as much or more than aftermarket 6-pots these days. I'll keep looking.

Cheers,

JZH