Hey folks, new here AWD 1UZ Celica anyone?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jamezzy

Hey folks. I'm James. Trying to research and gain as much info as possible on the 1UZ and I've discovered alot about it, but not enough to go on through with a swap to my 4th gen Toyota Celica.

And here's the star.
0203012020a01.jpg

This is me and the car. Mother owned Alexis before I was born.
Copy3ofScannedImage.jpg

I want to do something special with this car. And that's swapping the 1UZ in there. I know it'll fit and there's a few AE86's on YouTube that have swapped 1UZs. And they say that there is no firewall cutting, only lowered subframes.

Only thing is, this car isn't RWD. So I might have to source a Driveline from a Celica Supra, late 90's Supra, SC300, or an IS300 so I can incorporate a W58 transmission. If anyone has a better suggestion, please do tell. I'm going to keep researching in the few years before I will get on with the swap. I'd like to know the process of a swap of this magnitude to my Toyota. And maybe an estimate to how much if I do it myself, or if a shop can do the swap for me. And if anyone knows a good shop that has a great price for these things do tell. That'd be awesome. I've got 220k miles on my current engine. All original, but once this engine dies, which is probably going to soon, I want to go with this engine.

Tips, suggestions, comment?
Thanks for viewing my thread.
:cool:

Last edited:
My advice......

Keep the FWD celica as your dependable daily and find a RWD platform to drop the 1uz into. Get an early 84 or old Celica ( as they are RWD) if you like. Putting the 1uz into most any FWD is a pipe dream.

If you want to do something special to the FWD celica, a 3sgte is only plausible way to go.

Hardest part i would think would be solving the front diff/axle fitment issue. I think if you could find a rare AWD aristo 1uzfe sump, it could be done. Or just fab a sump w/ a straight tube to allow the axle shaft to slide thru.

I have seen a couple custom late 90's supras with skyline awd systems but it was very very expensive. Dry sump + billet pan + entire r34 driveline.

Forum member, Justin_GT8 has a uz swapped celica, but he deleted the fwd.

My advice......

Keep the FWD celica as your dependable daily and find a RWD platform to drop the 1uz into. Get an early 84 or old Celica ( as they are RWD) if you like. Putting the 1uz into most any FWD is a pipe dream.

If you want to do something special to the FWD celica, a 3sgte is only plausible way to go.

I'm going to have to say the same thing. Neat Idea, but it'll never happen.

Its doable, but pricey! The 1uz came stock with AWD in the JDM/AU/Canadian gs300. its all about fitting the diff + axles into the package that makes it a daunting task.

Man so many negative words. Consider money not an obstacle here people. I'm just researching. Besides I'm doin this after college and the I'm majoring in RN which gives me huge amounts of cashflow. As of now the 3S-GTE is within my reach but I'm not settling for that. The engine is amazing but...no. I'll put that into another Celica, though. Probably an AllTrac with a destroyed engine. Anyway, you guys saw what Jbrady posted. I've seen it before, its possible, I just don't understand what the big problem is with this swap that everyone is saying? Sure I'm going to have to cut the firewall to fit the transmission bellhousing, I'm going to cut things, measure things, rebuild things and make mistakes. No one said it was easy. If it was easy everyone would already be doing it.

@Jbrady
Is there a page in his thread where it shows all his cutting and measurements and the early stages of getting everything prepped to fit? I've looked at his page months back and I don't recall any pages like that.

You have my support. I doubt fitting the complete UZ will be the problem... the real challenge is retaining the AWD. Its all doable, just gotta read a lot and retain your patience.

You have my support. I doubt fitting the complete UZ will be the problem... the real challenge is retaining the AWD. Its all doable, just gotta read a lot and retain your patience.

Thanks man:cool:. Appreciate it. It is a big challenge. Going to be interesting. Gonna do research now, and in 5 years when I start this, I'm just gonna go and get down and dirty with this project. I'll probably post the build here too.