HELP!!!! Smoke!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JDMCelsior

Can anybody tell me if you have encountered this problem before and how to fix it. My car starts to smoke from the engine bay when it hits operating temperatures. I flushed the radiator and added new fluid. It seems to be coming out from the right back side of the engine (looking from the front of the car). Can't seem to pinpoint the location but still trying. We think it could be electrical or the the coolant leaking and going on the exhaust manifold. any suggestions???

Tell us more about the smoke.

1. Is it steam like smoke

2. Color of smoke.

There is a coolant hose behind the engine. You might want to invest in a new thermostats and recheck your temperature sensor (radiator has a sensor that activates the fans), but change the thermostat first thing.

still unsure what it is...HELP!

The color of the smoke is slightly white. and yes it kinda looks like the steam but it smells like an electrical burning smell. It only comes out when it hits operating temperatures. the car doesn't overheat. Please help!!!! any suggestions????

well, i changed both the gaskets and i know the engine isn't leaking oil, but the smoke is still coming out. The heater hose could be it. How do i find it and is it easy to replace???

it's just behind the inlet plenum. both outlet and return stand up, tops almost level with the top of the plenum and are really quite easy to reach, they should have 3/8in hose (?) running to them.

very easy to replace. get the section of hose thats stuffed (might as well do both) and head down to your local auto parts store and get replacement heater hose the same size and length. if the factory hose is pre-bent (ie can't be straightened) then get a little extra length per hose to allow for a gradual radius on the turns, otherwise it will kink.

smoke when hot

Hi Guys, sounds to me like something plastic, perhaps a cover over the wiring loom on the back of the engine, or one of the plastic clips that holds the wiring loom to the back of the engine has come off fallen down and is melting on the hot exhaust.
Regards
Lambo

inlet plenum??????? i know basic car knowledge but can you explain what and where its located (inlet plenum) or if anybody has a diagram showing the location of the stuffed heater hose. Thanx

JDC,

If you are having trouble with what and where your plenum is I suggest you get a tech to look at it.

The plenum is the silver box on top of the engine with the Lexus badge on it. It has lots of small and some big hoses running into it plus the air inlet runs into it on the left side.

Look right behind it and you should see two 3/4" hoses. Get the car hot and try wriggling those two hoses. One at a time. If you get steam, water or a sickly sweet smell you have a leak. The coolant is very sweet and strong smelling.

A leak wil usually leave a white deposit and slight pinky red staining.

If you can't locate the problem get a tech to sort it out. It may cast a few dollars to sort out but heaps cheaper than a new engine.

Sounds like oil dripping from your valve cover down onto the manifold to me.
Oil puts off a very different smell and type of smoke then water. water would be putting off steam.
scott