Help me choose Cams

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Stratoraptor

Okay, so I finally ran into some money and I've been thinking about a cam upgrade. As far as I know, Kelford are the only ones that I know of that readily provide drop in parts. Taking a look at their selection, I've been wanting to go with their set with these specs:

i: 298 / e: 298 duration
i: 10.35mm / e: 9.30mm lift

...according to their site, they can use the stock shim over bucket design so I wouldn't have to mess around with that. They will be going into a stock engine with a stand-alone.

Anybody have advice? Are Kelford good quality?

BigSteve

Yes kelfords are good, I have kelford cams in mine.

You will need springs with that much lift, and as far as I know you also need some head work/grinding so that the cam lobes don't hit the head because that's a fair bit of lift.

spf_lexus

...according to their site, they can use the stock shim over bucket design so I wouldn't have to mess around with that. They will be going into a stock engine with a stand-alone.

Lextreme.com sells regrinds in 2 different profiles that can safely use the shim over setup and cost a lot less. More food for thought.

kildea

Lextreme.com sells regrinds in 2 different profiles that can safely use the shim over setup and cost a lot less. More food for thought.

This is what I had in mind too, but it appears that they are no longer offering them with lash caps, instead suggesting their new valves - well that's the response I got when I tried to order them - maybe they were temporarily out of stock?

spf_lexus

I had a set that I sold to friend because I ran out of cash but the Lextreme cams had very consistent lobe finish. Indistinguishable from stock. I dont know what you mean by "squared off" but a cam profile is a cam profile wether it be a billet cam, cast cam or regrind. When you gain lift and duration the lobes will be fatter and longer (top to bottom). I drove ones of Lex's hybrid 4.7L's with the stage II profile and it felt like it was boosted, great gains.

ash

Lobe failure can be wrong springs
lack of nitriting / bad nitriting process after regrind or re welding
wrong oil
lack of oil
wrong assembly/ clearance settings
too cold engine temp

fixed..........