Fidanza flywheel interest

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

username

I have begun the long road down the "which flywheel/clutch combination" path.

I am using a custom iron clutch and custom pressure plate. I really want to stick with an aluminum flywheel (dellow and castlemans are out) and, obviously, a steel insert... fidanza style

I have been in conversation with fidanza a few times... is anybody interested in a group buy on fidanza 1uz flywheels? I am currently kicking around two ideas
(1) 3sgte flywheel with 1uz crank shaft bolt holes in the center instead of mr2 style, meaning this would be a direct bolt-on as long as a 3sgte clutch and pressure plate are used
(2) 3sgte flywheel with blank crank shaft bolts, meaning that you would need to have these bolt holes machines yourself.

Interest..?

SCV8,

Do you mean that the 3L turbo diesel flywheel will fit the 1uz crank bolt pattern and has the proper ring gear size (that would be a great find!), or that the clutch will fit? If it is the later, what does the clutch fit?

From my understanding, most on this board either use of the au flywheels (all of them are steel), or have an aluminum 3sgte welded and redrilled for the 1uz crank bolts.

I am swapping into a porsche 951. I already have had a sintered iron McLeod clutch made with a porsche center spline and a 3sgte friction surface. It is gauranteed not to slip for 650 base hp. I want to use an aluminum flywheel for weight reasons. I also like the idea of a steel insert that can be easily swapped. I know that the clutch will outlive the flywheel. Steel inserts are cheap... flywheels arent. So, for me, fidanza style is the way to go. I would think that my reasoning would be pretty common to the folks on this list-seve.

So, I am just testing the waters to see if others are interested in such an option.

(1) fidanza factory drilled 3sgte flywheel for the 1uz crank bolt pattern
or
(2) fidanza flywheel blanks (crank bolts and clutch surface would be blank and in need of end-user machining), meaning any clutch set-up could be used with the benefits of keeping the 1uz starter-ring-gear combo

FWIW, I am sending off the 1UZ flex plate to RPS so they can make a flywheel based on the 2JZGTE flywheel. The only changes are the different crank bolt pattern and a slightly larger diameter for the ring gear. There are a lot of clutch options for that flywheel, and I am using the getrag 6 speed, so this conbo made sense for me. I should get the new flywheel back in 4-6 weeks. If this works, I could see if RPS can make more.

$750 for the first one, since it's a custom job. I would expect they could do around their normal price, $499 once the custom work is done, and they were purchased in a group.

Their flywheel technology is quite impressive:
http://www.turboclutch.com/flywheel.html

I wich I could afford the triple carbon clutch, but I am hoping my setup (kevlar disk, very heavy pressure plate) will do just fine for 600 rwhp.

Fidanza is offering between $325 and $375 (USD) for 1uz aluminum flywheels with replaceable steel inserts.
However, we need to give them a good 10 wheel order before they will begin production.
Who's interested?

post whoring....

I really do not wanna modify a flywheel, because they are made and balanced, and taking some weight off it would comprimise this possibly. I wouldnt wanna risk it, if you've seen what a flywheel can do to someones transmission and heck hood, or worse their foot! it can be very dangerous, and the flywheel should never be the weakest link!

I am still waiting on my flywheel. It should actually be done right around now. I need to call RPS this week and "urge" them to complete this.

Is the 3sgte clutch same size as the 2JZGE or 2JZGTE? I think the GTE might be bigger, but I have not compared the two, so I don't know for sure.

If you are seriously interested in the 2JZGTE/1UZ flywheel I'm sure RPS could do another once mine is done. They have their own CNC process now, so the process for them to make a one-off should be much easier.

If your clutch could not work with the 2JZGTE/1UZ flywheel, FWIW there are a ton of clutch options for this flywheel including iron, feramic, kevlar, etc...

thats true, as long as the pinion shaft is the same splines so I could get the 3sgte tranny on. either way thats fine with me 2jzgte clutch or 3sgte clutch as long as they work! I would probably go with a spec stage 3 since they are so nice, I've had a spec stage 3 in the past on a high powered 3sgte gen III motor and loved it, it gripped very well.

Jeff