Exploding clutchs cutting legs off! Is it really something to worry about?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
With so many of us looking to convert to a manual trans and reaching for high HP at high revs, it makes me think about those warning of pressure plates blowing up. Does it really happen? Why does it happen? poor quality? abuse? any other thoughts on this topic?

High HP doesn't usually make clutches and flywheels disintegrate.

High RPM and poor dynamic balance are the usual culprits.

Most manual conversions rely on the premise the new flywheel clutch package is dynamically balanced when in fact that is quite unlikely to be true.

I wouldn't want to rev a new flywheel clutch that hadn't been balanced with the crank beyond 6,500

I've seen what an exploding flywheel can do to the body of a vehicle. fortunately the driver didn't get hit but te transmission tunnel was history.

Balance was my #1 concern. What type of shop should i look for that could maybe balance my setup? With an after market cast bell housing and a S13 chassis, i dont think the pressure plate parts would have a hard time finding there way into the car.

i've thought about this too. It is an issue with aftermarker adapted auto to manual engines because these are custom parts. They are not held to any oem standard design or manufacturing standards, i.e is the centerline off 4 thousands of an inch in either way of an axis, and will this cause it to blow?. Kinda scarry.

Attachments

• 36-2 Unmodified.JPG
    36-2 Unmodified.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1UZ 36-1 EDIS8 Trigger.JPG
    1UZ 36-1 EDIS8 Trigger.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 0