Exhaust Overheating Warning

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

vineetnaidu

hi there

I have a 91 toyota soarer V8 same as lexus sc 400

just a question on the exhaust system overheating warning indicator.this light came on.the car wasnt overheating and i wasnt driving hard and the weather was cold as well so i do not know why the exhaust overheat light would come on.

2 days later when i start the car the exhaust over heating sign is still there together with the charging malfunction.why does these lights come on and what can i do.even when the engine is cold the exhaust overheat light comes on and now together with the charging malfunction.

please help.

GOD BLESS

vineet

I may have a suggestion. It's a bit of a storey but here goes.

My company insured a Soarer (4ltr) that caught fire when being driven.

We settled the owner and sold the remains to a friend.

He repaired the car and started it today for the first time.

Once started he left it to idle for 15 minutes or so and noticed it smelt very hot but the water temp was fine.

The cats were glowing red hot.

We worked out it had a failed ignition coil. An igniter would do the same.

What was happening the coil stopped one distributor working. Because each distributor feed 2 cylinders per bank of the engine it ran quite smoothly as it was pretty well balanced.

The 2 dead cylinders on each bank flowed raw fuel into the exhaust. Everytime a good cylinder opened an exhaust valve it ignited the fuel in the exhaust and overheating the cat converters.

I'd have a look at the coils first to see which one has spark. If one doesn't I'd try switching the igniter plugs between the two ingniters (they swap easily). This will prove if the problem is an igniter or coil that has failed.

One way to check which cylinders are running is to drop some water on the header adjacent to the head. If the water evaporates with a hiss that pots fine.

Have a look and let us know how you go.

The guts of the storey is we didn't know why the car caught fire. Now we know.

I agree with zuffen 100%.
If the cats are overheating, it's most likely because raw fuel is burning on them. (oppossed to just being clogged & old as the other major cause.)

And if you've got raw fuel burning in the exhaust, that leaves little you need to look at on relatively stock engines.
Spark, spark, spark. After that pfffft. Stuck injector. & we all know the failure rates on Denso injectors are insanely low.

Been troubleshooting all these Toyota's for years, I can count the number of stuck injectors on one hand & that includes one car that had TWO stuck LoL!

exhaust drama

thanks guys for for input.i emailed peter scott and craig dean( soarer gurus) you guys might know about them the same problem.They both diagnosed it correctly as an alternator failure.

i was taking the soarer to the mechanic and it died on me on the way.got another battery to take me to the mechanic as all the power was just supplied by the battery.

The exhuast overheating prob was ( the mechanic'd diagnosis) is if the alteranotor is down there is not enough fuel into the engine so the exhaust temp are high.

I did mention in my previous post that the car had warning about charging malfunction.

my car has just done 85000 kms.i am surprised that the alternator died so quickly.there isnt any signs of power steering leakage( common prob).

I ve installed air suspension controller to the car.do you think this might have caused trouble affecting the electrics and then the alternator.

GOD BLESS

vineet

The Soarer's way of telling you that you alternator isn't charging is to put the CAT lights and the Charge Malfunction light on at the same.

If you had a manual in english you would have realised this (not having a go at you here, I just couldn't be bothered wording it less agressive, no agression intended).

exhaust trouble.

yeah thanks man.according to the books it says check the fanbelt and then take it to the nearest toyota dealer.charging malfunction ( the warning is japanese) could mean anything.

do you know what is a reasonable price for a reco alternator for a soarer in australia.