Error codes V8 Soarer LTD

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Roger

G'day
anyone out there know what the error codes EFI 31 and EFI 24 mean on the 1991 V8 Ltd Soarer. I have been having troubles with the car going into limp mode and can't seem to work out why it does it. Sometimes after resetting the efi fuse it comes good for a while. Any help would be appreciated.
Roger

The main ECU, and by a leaky cap I'm talking about the electrolytic capacitors which can leak after prolonged exposure to elevated temperatures, with old age or poor manufacture. The liquid electrolyte leaking from the capacitor is very caustic and reacts with the metal (circuits) on the board.

Have a read through http://www.tmo.com/howto/ecu1g/caps.htm to give you an idea.

I personally haven't seen a
faulty airflow meter actually throw an airflow meter fault or the airflow meter being faulty when the ECU said it was (excluding a few cases where people have tried to clean their AFM......) I'm not saying it's the case with yours, but I now tend to head straight for the ECU and so far it's worked for me in the ten or so cases I've dealt with.

I haven't seen an ECU where C507 hasn't started leaking either and it's also worth checking for dry joints while you're in there, especially along the ribbon cables that connect the two boards.

Thanks for the info re leaky caps. I don't think that that is my problem however. I still dont know where the AFM is so that I can check it out. I am getting the idea that it is not all that wise to clean the AFM. Is there such a thing as an aftermarket AFM for the V8 soarer?

Generally if you are getting the Air Intake Temp Sensor error aswell, (code 24), then the AFM is unplugged, or there is a break in the circuit somewhere.

The airtemp sensor is completely independent of the AFM (electrically), its just located there.

The AFM is the cast alloy tube that is mounted just behind the airbox, and has a small black plastic box on top of it.

No, they don't do aftermarket ones, but plenty of people use them on a different motor to gain hp. They don't however use the black box on top, which means that if yours has failed, then you should be able to pick one up for ~$50

Thanks peewee
Now that I know where to look I think I will be able to fix it. It is interesting that the problem is intermittent ok for a few days then it hits again. Your help is much appreciated.
Roger