Engine running rough - injector problem?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Clown Boy

I need help from an EFI expert, preferably someone in the Biz.

Some of you may know I put a V8 into my Hilux Wurf late last year\early this year.

And I have a problem. It is ongoing from the conversion itself.

I have a plan to fix it but want to run it by someone who knows more than I do.

The Problem:
1 - My fuel economy should be around 17-18l/100km - I am getting 22+l/100km
2 - My performance is far below that of other people with the same truck\engine
3 - The engine usually runs okay but is not as smooth as it should be, she runs rough. On occasion she will start surging and losing power (at the same time - Surge, faulter, surge, faulter, fine) as I put my foot down.

The History:
1 - This is a 1UZ v8 in a Hilux surf.
2 - Scott, from Venom, says the electrics are all fine - he checked as it is under his warranty.
3 - I checked the spark plugs and they are all clean like new - so perfect burn
4 - DO NOT LAUGH, but I forgot a fuel filter in the truck when I first finished the conversion. I also only gave the replacement fuel tank a quick flush.

My Thoughts:
My thoughts, and that of the guy helping me, is that the problem is the fuel injectors. This is because the problem makes them a good suspect but my fuel filter mistake promotes them to THE probably cause.

After having spent close to 10k in the last 12 months, I dont have the money to play around. I am pulling out the injectors on Saturday and will be having them serviced - @$240 approx.

Ask all the questions you want - does anyone else have any good ideas or recommendations to check while I have the engine pulled down on Sat?

Does it run hot, not overheat to the point of blowing h/g's?

Are the exhaust pipe getting real hot.

It sounds like it could be in limp mode.

Have you run a CEL test?

If you answer yes to points 1 and 2 my suspision sounds close.

If you've run 3 (and it's free) what was the result.

i got my injecotors cleaned and before and after tests did not change

they are so perfect engines the injcetors were still perfect after 12 years

any codes from ecu

measure o2 sensor voltages to ecu

my hilux gets 300 kms per 50 lts of premuim fuel

in a surf with auto and if its got big wheels i pressure fuel economy not to be good either

they were never good on fuel i think

i had a 4.3 diff and had 350 kms per tank now i have 3.7 diff and get 300 kms per tank

so it seams by running a tall diff/tyre setup its worse on fuel

i did a 1uz 2 years ago in a surf with big tyres and guy compalined about using too much fuel

the best thing to do is fit an air fuel meter up exhaust

and a fuel pressure gauge and go for a drive

is the auto chagning gears properly cause i remember u had auto probs

what are your spark plug leads like they are more prode to play up than yr injectors

like i always tell most people

they feel abit like a dog off the mark if its an auto and tall gears

but first check yr leads if they are std

Does it run hot, not overheat to the point of blowing h/g's?
Not anymore but when I first started driving her, she overheated several times - I have a digi temp guage so each time I stopped before it got to damage temp but she was on her way.

Turned out to be a stuffed thermostat and fans not big enough. No longer a problem.

Are the exhaust pipe getting real hot.
No idea, how owuld I check that without burning myself?

It sounds like it could be in limp mode.

Have you run a CEL test?

If you answer yes to points 1 and 2 my suspision sounds close.

If you've run 3 (and it's free) what was the result.
I don't know what a CEL test is (please enlighten) but the guy who did my loom and worked on it before I got her back (and she was already playing up at that stage) is someone I would expect to know about Limp mode. How do I check?

i got my injecotors cleaned and before and after tests did not change

they are so perfect engines the injcetors were still perfect after 12 years

any codes from ecu

measure o2 sensor voltages to ecu

my hilux gets 300 kms per 50 lts of premuim fuel

in a surf with auto and if its got big wheels i pressure fuel economy not to be good either

they were never good on fuel i think

i had a 4.3 diff and had 350 kms per tank now i have 3.7 diff and get 300 kms per tank

so it seams by running a tall diff/tyre setup its worse on fuel

i did a 1uz 2 years ago in a surf with big tyres and guy compalined about using too much fuel

the best thing to do is fit an air fuel meter up exhaust

and a fuel pressure gauge and go for a drive

is the auto chagning gears properly cause i remember u had auto probs

what are your spark plug leads like they are more prode to play up than yr injectors

like i always tell most people

they feel abit like a dog off the mark if its an auto and tall gears

but first check yr leads if they are std

Thanks SS, the spark plug leads where replaced before I bought the engine. But I seem to get perfect spark to the plugs.

The auto is working okay, but I have to use the stick to go from 1 - 2 - D. This is because Scott says he cannot properly set the changes until the engine is running properly.

I have standard diffs and 33' tyres - your 300kms would take me my hole tank around the city (65 or so litres). Definitely more than Twisty and Nem from memory. And the grunt is way down.

On the O2 sensor voltages and ECU codes, that part I left to Scott (over my head) but he says the electrical system is fine.

To check EGT put your hand near the exhaust or drop a spot of oil on them and see if it "fries" straight away.

My hunch its in limp mode due to wiring defect or faulty sensor.

Check all sensors are connected properly.

From the diagnosis it's getting too much fuel which means it thinks it's colder than it is or the ignition is retarded (in limp mode) and your driving it harder to make it go.

If you can't check the CEL I suggest you need an Auto Sparks who will trouble shoot someone elses work. Not easy. Ask Sideshow he hates doing that. In fact I'm not sure he still will do it.

i still do it but these days im booked out for 3 to 4 weeks and no one wants to wait

or even pay to get it sorted so i usually quote abit more to cover my back

as i say anyhting can be fixed if the money is right

if its been to 5 shops before me then i usually have a hard time proving to them to outlay money for a good cause these days i dont have time for timewasters

getting married soon is not cheap paying tax is not cheap etc etc hehehehe

if they are still ok then ill get motivated tofix their car

i have a job in brissy in july so coming up for few days

but if venom thinks its ok then i know u dont want to waste money on me

but i dont know y he wont make gbox change gears correctly if its running bad

i cant see y u just cant drive it at cruise like from 40 to 80 kms per hour
and fix the gbox

anyway ive posted enough on these forums for this month

back later

Check that belt!! I troubleshooted a V6 Tacoma which ran kinda normal for months before I came across it. I looked at everything a mechanic usually would until I asked the owner if there was anything done to this truck before it started running like crap. Yep.... it was a timing belt replacement. The belt was off 1 tooth! I've never seen an engine run so good with a belt wasn't on correctly. The engine runs sweet now.

I cleaned my injectors and they did need the cleaning according to the results of the before and after tests. I highly recommend this since it's so easy and the cheapest power you can probably get. And with the 1UZ's limited response to modifications it's a great idea for a little more power.

fwf_injectors.jpg

Sorted.

Typical 3 piece fix.

1 - Injectors
On the initial test, 6 passed 60ml, 1 passed 55 ml and 1 passed 45ml while also having a terrible spray pattern.

After servicing, all 8 passed 65ml and had good spray.

This fixed thr rough running problem and she immediately sounded beautiful and drove really well. Much more power but so smooth now.

2 - The halting when I accelerate - Simon called them 'flat spots'.
Needed to adjust my throttle sensor.

3 - As an extra issue we noticed, had to bend the bracket holding the accelorator cable as foot to the floor in the wagon was not fully opening the throttle under the bonnet.

She is a totally different car again and I am happy to now say the conversion is over - apart from Scott finishing on setting up the automatic shifting properly (this is a little 'tuning' like step that he can do next Sat).

I do too, although fuel economy didn't seem to improve.

The doomsayers said I would uset he amount of fuel I am.

However I hoped to use less - like theo ther guys with this conversion do.

Attachments

• IMG_7878 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7878 (Medium).JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7906 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7906 (Medium).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7909 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7909 (Medium).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7879 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7879 (Medium).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7908 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7908 (Medium).JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 43
i think they have poor fuel economy if its an auto

nothing good to brag about

if its a manual u might get 50 kms extra per tank

Attachments

• IMG_7888 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7888 (Medium).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7881 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7881 (Medium).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7889 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7889 (Medium).JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7913 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7913 (Medium).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 34
So far I am driving an auto like a manual. The gears change far too low at present.

But I only have L, 2 and D so when I go from 2 to D it skips 3rd.

Sometimes driving in town I stay in 2nd when the auto would go to 1st.

Etc - Scott finishes this part next weekend.

So that will be contributing - and what you just said makes sense. I cannot remember who told me what but the people I got advice from are probably split 50/50 between manuals and autos.