Engine mounting angle

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fastdruid

Forgive me if this is the wrong section but none of the others seemed to fit.

Anyway, I'm fitting a 1UZ-FE (LS400, front sump) into a mid engined, rear wheel drive kit car, I've got the engine mounted to the gearbox and I'm at the stage of making up brackets. Except that if I mount the engine horizontal I'll have to solid mount it as I have only a few mm between the distributors and a chassis rail.

I've got a choice of either dropping the engine down (but that makes my drive shaft angles a bit extreme), taking it back slightly or dropping it and tilting it down (which keeps driveshaft angles the same).

Which brings me to my question which is different to 99% of other swaps, how much nose down can I safely run? I did some searching and almost everyone else if not level is running tail down due to being front engined rear wheel drive. Can I run the same kind of angles?

I would think that things like head scavenging and oil pick up location would really dictate by how much you could tilt the engine forward and down.
As far as I know the engine has a few oil return paths along the length of the head so I would reckon that should not be a problem.
Now I do not know the answers here but how far below the crank is the oil level line ? By tilting will it cause the crank to hit oil ? I doubt it though and if it does, that could be corrected by a custom sump if your`e not already doing so.

Bottom line , i.m.p.o. , I don`t see why not , providing it`s not too excessive..What angle do you have in mind ?

I would think the same would apply for the gearbox when filling but obviously to a much lesser degree.

As regards to the crank hitting oil I think it would have to tilt quite some way before that would be an issue. Certainly should not be a problem for small angles anyway.

The normal issues in inclining engines seem to be coolant or oil related, on the 1UZ-FE the rear bridge has the take off for the heater so it shouldn't end up with an air/steam pocket and its a front sump anyway so the oil should go towards the sump.

As an example of other engines, the LS2 seems to be mounted between +4 and -1.5, SBF is mounted at 3 degrees (tail down) as are most RWD cars.

Anyway, I make it roughly 1.66 degrees for every 25mm the front of the engine is dropped, so I'm tempted to run at about 3 degrees which would drop the front of the engine 45mm. I've then got to add an extra 0.3 degrees as the entire car is tilted by that much so a grand total of 3.3 degrees.

Gearbox I'm not worried about, far more worried if it was the other way round.

The angle of the engine should be the same as the pinion with a max of 3 deg at the unis. So engine can be moved up or down without varying the angle between the pinion and the engine but the uni angle can change up to 3 deg though in a mid engined car that would not be much due to the short tailshaft. Hope this helps

There is no driveshaft, engine is bolted to the transaxle so universal joint angles are irrelevant (half shaft CV angles are what I have to worry about).

As far as I can see all other applications have the engine tilted slightly backwards (tail down), no one seems to have tilted it forwards (nose down).

I'm 99.9% sure it should be perfectly fine but was just checking to see if anyone had any reasons why I shouldn't.