Do you like your extractors?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

-Nemesis-

I don't! I'm so sick of the things!

They made great power compared to the Crown logs yes, but I can't stand the sound of them. They honestly sound like there's an exhaust leak with that raspy tickety sound they make, expecially under a load in lower revs.

So far i've had them re welded in a few spots, had the flanges machined cos they were warped.... Every time to my dissapointment when I refit them they keep ticking away. I'm fussy I know, but it's loud enough to detract from the sound of my (loud) 3" exhaust....

I only had one brand/maker to choose from because it's for a 4Runner (Hilux type)

What do yours sound like? Happy with them?

exhaust.jpg

im not sure how much it would help but cutting the flange down to only having a flange per runner may(and thats a big may because im not sure) help but not having the big surface area contracting at once and that should help the warping issue

Attachments

• STS_Install_Vette_003.jpg
    STS_Install_Vette_003.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 85
  • STS_Install_Vette_005.jpg
    STS_Install_Vette_005.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 82
  • STS_Install_Vette_004.jpg
    STS_Install_Vette_004.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 81
I'm using the stock LS400 headers, 2.5" tubing from the 3 bolt flanges to a 'Y' collector into a single universal straight through type silencer and 3" tubing straight out to the rear of the truck. sounds OK but I'm thinking of making my own extractors to release a bit more power and increase throttle response.
Video of the sound here...... (sounds better through headphones)

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/toyosurfer/?action=view&current=7bf5160b.pbr

Mine sound great with my exhaust.. I built everything, Headers (extractors) and exhaust. They are Tri-Y's though and that might be making a big differance. The exhaust is all 2.5" with 3 mufflers, the first being a dual inlet/outlet with a built in X-pipe. Behind it are two single inlet/outlet mufflers and then straight out the back from there....

Here's a pic of the hearders after I finished them
HeadersComplete004.jpg

Heres a link to my header build thread on here.
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10583

And here is the only video or the car running that I have thus far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j300OZt5ah8

I'm so sick of my cheap ass headers! The wall thickness on these things are like paper, you can gently tap them with the back of your fingernail and get a loud ting ting ting...

So when you drive (especially high load, low revs) they sound all tappety and shyte....

I'm thinking about having a crack at my own soon. What sort of wall thickness do people recommend for the primaries, so the only sound is the one out the back end?

I did buy some actually while ago, but only used a small section to try temporary shut up a leak.

Was meant to be good stuff too, but it started to crumble pretty quickly.

I don't get any ticking at all with mine, it might be because the wall thickness is quite thick. I also only have a 2.5inch system witch may help

Yeah I'm conviced it's the wall thickness. I even pulled the headers off and pressure tested them, they had leaks which I fixed, but the sound remained unchanged (yes check flanges)

My engine actually sounded heaps better with the log manifolds. Now, I drive with the rear windows down a tad so I can hear the exhaust, otherwise all I can hear through the firewall is a raspy racket (shims are fine.) Probably doesn't help that I'm in the 130th percentile (how does that work) for hearing, so I'm picky, but still.....

I figured some flanges and mandrel bends it can't be too hard.

I have heard of silencers 'drumming' if they are made out of thin material, did you change them at the same time? The sound could be just transfering along the tubes, the headers may not be the source.

Just another avenue worth considering. I do know some Paris dakar vehicles make their headers out of mild steel because they have a less irritating noise over long periods of time. If you are picky about the sound maybe it is worth considering?

I will be making mine from mild, mostly due to the potential for turboing and since it is an off road racer, sudden cold water shocks, violent vibration and very high temps require a very well built set with carefully chosen material which i cannot afford when using stainless.

Yeah the sound is 100% from the headers themselves, not the exhaust end.

Like you said, pretty sure I'll eventually go for mild steel and just get them ceramic coated for durability.