Headers/Extractors for SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
That's a relief. If I had to pull the engine, I think I'd just go ahead and have it rebuilt. Hopefully it won't come to that. Thanks for the info!

No you don't have to pull the engine to install headers on an SC400...Just need good tools...Peice of cake.... Headers make a big difference on the early model SC's...

91 4runner - Toyota 4runner engine bays seem larger and roomier because of the smaller 4 banger motors that are in them...Drop a V8 in that baby and things will tighten up in a hurry...

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. There is hardly any room in the 4Runner engine bay, yet there seems to be crapload of room in the SC400 engine bay. There's a good 10-12" sideways, and at least 12" in length. The only downside to the SC bay is that the strut mounts take up some space. I wish that the 4Runner bay was at least a bit longer, but if it was, I'd be putting a Cummins TD in ;-).

No you don't have to pull the engine to install headers on an SC400...Just need good tools...Peice of cake.... Headers make a big difference on the early model SC's...

91 4runner - Toyota 4runner engine bays seem larger and roomier because of the smaller 4 banger motors that are in them...Drop a V8 in that baby and things will tighten up in a hurry...

Is anyone running the Ektuning 4-1 headers?

Any under car pics?

I'm interested in how they compare to the Rush/Tex Headers

EKtuning headers are a direct fit unlike the S@S headers......Probably your best choice of headers in my opinion...Just because of the fitment issues.....They also appear to be well made... Tex Headers may also be good to go...

Bump

I am going down the same road trying to decide between the different headers Tex/Rush and the EK, can't find any pics of the EK headers wondering if anyone had them around. Thanks

they went out of business,but one of the other board members is taking over there selling there headers.check the exhaust topics for more info

The original S&S headers did have problems with cracking at one of the welds. They have been shipping a Version 2 which incorporated desgin changes that eliminated the cracking. In addition they have replaced each set of the original headers that had problems at no charge.

Thanks for your help I found some info searching but nothing about long tubes? I am planning a whipple or a ported m112 and thought the long tube headers into true dual would be optimum from what I've read and heard from talking to others. Anyone else that can direct me to additional info or help me out would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help I found some info searching but nothing about long tubes? I am planning a whipple or a ported m112 and thought the long tube headers into true dual would be optimum from what I've read and heard from talking to others. Anyone else that can direct me to additional info or help me out would be much appreciated.

I would love to see back to back dyno testing of the 3 available header designs (4 if you include both the small diameter and large diameter RUSH headers): RUSH, EK and S&S.

My prediction is that the S&S will have the best low and mid RPM torque and response causing the car to be more fun to drive. I would be surprised if any of the 3 had significantly different peak power.

I would also be interested if anyone had some sort of dyno numbers on the 3 headers? Has anyone used the Rush and heard about the design flaws in the collectors. Blizzy posted a picture of it and was wondering if anyone ever cut into one of them. Those would be my headers of choice if they didnt' restrict the flow.

Of the 3 choices the only ones that would allow for catalysts to be installed in the stock location would be the S&S. You could use the stock cats on 1998-2000 SC400s and on the 2001+ SC430s. For earlier cars you would need aftermarket cats and these could be installed in the stock location or under the car.

Only the EK headers would be a direct bolt in fitting with the stock Y pipe. But you cannot run cats in the stock location. The RUSH headers require a new Y pipe and will not allow cats in the stock location. They will also need an EGR flange added.

The S&S will also work with the stock Y pipe but you will need to fabricate downpipes or catalysts between the header flange and the Y pipe. This is also where you would install an EGR flange. If this is your choice you would purchase an extra set of 3 bolt flanges and the EGR flange from S&S. If you want catalyst I recommend the one piece metalic substrate cats. The stock cats are only 10" long and the S&S headers are around 1.5" longer than the stock manifolds. This means you need a cat that is around 8" long. These new cats are between 8" and 12" long but the actual core length is only 4" to 5" inches and can therefore be cut and welded with stock type flanges for a perfect fit. The are available from $115/ea.
http://www.performance-curve.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1210

Thunderbolt1.jpg

54953.jpg

There are a number of dynos on the S&S all showing PEAK increases of 15+rwhp (20+hp engine). Peak power is good for bragging but it is the overall power that is important. Also, what the dyno measures does not predict how a car will FEEL when driving. On a GS400 with S&S headers the stock 2"-2.35" Y pipe was replaced with a high flow 2.25"-2.5" Y pipe. Peak dyno power increased 1rwhp ONE... but the car felt sluggish. Back to back dyno testing with the stock Y pipe, the high flow Y pipe and a stock GS430 Y pipe (exactly the same as the GS400 except it has an additional catalyst after the Y where the 400 has a resonator) showed virtually identical dyno power. Both stock Y pipes, with and without catalyst felt VERY good when driven where the highflow felt sluggish. Do NOT make all decisions on "dyno" numbers. There is just no replacement for how it FEELS.

Hi All,
Rush Imports is just 1 Man,,,ME.

Tex and I used to sell the Headers ( Thats why you see a comparison )
Tex moved from the Soarer many years ago and now gets around in an Alfa Romeo...hahahahah

I have sold many sets of headers over the last 5-6 years.

I have a set specifically for the USA...As you have 4 o2 Sensors ( See I do try to look out for you blokes )

I am currently having an evaluation of my headers made in Stainless Steel.
( These will be ONLY in 1 3/4"Primary pipes, no small sets )
They will also ONLY be made with the 4 o2 Sensors.

I was going to include an EGR port many years ago, demand was not strong enough and most of you blokes were removing the EGR anyway.

As stated, you can not compare the 3 sets of headers on many grounds.
Style,
Design,
Pipe Size,
CAT's,
Rest of the pipe etc, etc.

The ONLY flaw I can honestly tell you that no one has noticed ( with my pipe set ) is the fact I can not get ports 3 and 5 to collect for PULSE.
Drivers side steering rod is in the way on the Soarer.

If anyone wants to meet up soon.
I will be driving Tennessee / Arkansas / Texas in May ( April 28th to May 11 )
Then LA for 3 days ) May 11 to 14 ( Santa Monica area )

Oh,
Also ( As I have fitted a VVT-i V8 into a Soarer WITH the 5 Speed Auto )
My Headers will also install into the SC400 from 97 - 2000 1UZ-FE VVT-i.

Excellent! Have you posted pictures and details of your VVTi swap? I am sure many here are interested.

Do you have a supercharger/blower on the VVTi engine? If so is it a stock or modified engine (rods, pistons)?

These have been discussed many times and DO NOT fit.

They could be cut appart and rebuilt to fit but why?

The headers Chase offers are direct bolt in and seem to work well. They do replace the catalysts so the stock catalysts or aftermarket cat(s) would need to be custom integrated into the Y pipe and even then would be out of factory position and may not pass a visual inspection.

The S&S headers fit and would allow MODIFIED stock cats or aftermarket cats to be used in the factory location. They make excellent power, torque and low end response.