Distributor removal / COP / CNP with stock ECU?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fastdruid

Has anyone got rid of the existing distributors and gone COP/CNP or just plain wasted spark on the 1UZ-FE combined with the stock (ideally the early 89-94) ECU?

It would make my life a lot easier if I can lose the distributors (due to space constraints) but I'd rather keep the existing ECU and injection setup (for now) as when my car is complete it'll have to pass emissions tests, easier to do that as 'stock' then play afterwards.

Can you get an EDIS or some kind of aftermarket spark only ECU to play nicely?

Lots of us have lost the dizzy's and gone COP. The search function is your friend, although COP is probably too short a moniker to find much. Try searching Coil on Plug.

Somewhere in my Supercharged Supra thread there's lots of info about my COP setup. I'm using Tundra coils and an AEM ECU, although I've run the engine in waste spark several times with an EDIS8, and as a matter of fact 2 EDIS8's to avoid having to wire the COP's in series/parallel. I just paralleled the inputs to the EDIS8's :)

Looking into this currently... IF there was COP unit that fitted and had a smart ignitor it could be done on the stock ecu and a hall effect sensor in place of the dizzy but I can't find anything.

looking so far that an aftermarket ecu is a requirement so the dwell can be set :(

Tundra coils fit & have integral ignitors.

It would be interesting to hear how you would propose to make this work with the stock ECU and Hall effect sensors? Not saying it can't be done, I'd just like to hear how you propose to do it.

Yes, I'd had a search but all the results were for using an aftermarket ECU.

I was thinking of going RAV4/previa/camry COP's (P/N 90919-02244)

If that's the only way, that's the only way, its far from the end of the world (its the direction I was planning on going anyway) it just makes my life trickier that's all.

You'll have to excuse the slightly blurry picture but this is the reason I want to lose the distributors
DSC07817.jpg
DSC07816.jpg

I can move my engine up and forwards quite a bit without them!

Looking into this currently... IF there was COP unit that fitted and had a smart ignitor it could be done on the stock ecu and a hall effect sensor in place of the dizzy but I can't find anything.

looking so far that an aftermarket ecu is a requirement so the dwell can be set :(

Interesting idea, except thinking about it that wouldn't easily work as the distributor only handles which cylinder to 'pick', timing is still via ECU.

I suppose you could have 4 COP ignitors driven off each one of the original ignitors and then earth each according to the original distributor timing but I suspect you'd end up blowing something up.

your gonna need an aftermarket ecu thats designed to run 8 ignition outputs, you could run with 4 but then the COP's are going to see loads of heat and mroe than likely go pop !

BTW ive got 4 coils if your looking for any :)

dude cut out those pieces and move them over a couple inches. i much rather cut and reweld in a new bracket then mess with that. just my 2 cents

Even if I move them sideways I still have the seatbelt attachment bar in the way vertically and I can't move that. Plus at the back of the engine it means I don't have to move two other chassis members to access the rear exhaust ports. It really really makes my life easier to lose the distributors.

as said your stil going to need a good aftermarket management, aem, g4 extreme etc, so your looking at 1500 quid to buy and set them up just to run coil on plug.
You could buy a megajolt and do wasted spark using ford zetec coils, will be alot cheaper

I've used the Megajolt Lite Jr. with the Ford EDIS8, both with the Ford coilpacks, and also with MKIV Supra COP's.

I've broken in several 1UZ's on an engine dyno using this ignition setup and a 4bbl Holley.

Works very well and is dead easy to setup and get running.

There are actually 3 ignition systems that begin with the word "Megajolt"

Megajolt: By the same guys who brought you the Megasquirt. I think this system still has not seen the light of day, so consider it vaporware.

MegaJolt Lite: As above, however the hardware does exist for this, although I don't know anyone who is actually running one. Here's the website for it: http://www.bgsoflex.com/mjl/mjl_edis.html

MegaJolt Lite Jr: This is the one I use, and it was designed & built by Brent Picasso of Autosport labs. I think when most people talk about "Megajolt" this is probably what they're referring to: http://www.autosportlabs.com/megajolte-p-41.html

Nope, it only works with a 36-1 trigger wheel, because it's based on the EDIS system. No cam sensor needed (for it) because it's waste spark.

So because it has to have the 36-1 trigger wheel, it will not work with the existing ECU.

However I would think that someone could probably take a MegaSquirt and set it up for ignition only, and program it with the Toyota 12 tooth pattern and make that work with the existing ECU?

Ah, I was going by ruishy1's comment in #12 stating it could.

EDIS8's seem pretty cheap and coils even cheaper, in fact I think they're the same coils as in my daily. I paid I think £15 for the one in there.

MegaSquirt could be an option, can always upgrade it to a V3 and V3X and run full COP/CNP with full sequential injection later. Could probably keep one or both cam sensors too (just cut down the bracket) which would help. Although I think you may need the V3 or V3X for that.

Last edited: