Difference between 1992 California and Federal SC400's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

netgodsrdn2

Does anyone know what the differences between the 1992 California and Federal SC400's actually are? I have a California motor here that I'm hoping to use for a swap but I'm not sure what emissions setup is because I'm not starting from a complete donor car... Any help would be great.

Ron

I thought it was a longshot getting an answer to that question. Maybe someone with a 1992 California 4 liter Lexus can clue me into what all is listed on their emissions sticker under the hood?

Thanks

Well, I have a 1992 SC400 California car... It was stock at one time..

I believe the difference is maybe with the 3 cats...My California 1992 SC400 came equiped with 3 cat converters, 2 little ones right after the headers and one main center cat located in the center of the car... There may be a difference in that cat setup... You should have the same EGR system I would think...

Check to see if you have those two little cats near the headers.. Everything else should be the same.. There is an EGR system on the California 1992 SC400's but I think that comes standard on all of them.. The EGR sytem basically recycles exhaust gases from the headers back thru the intake reduce carbon emmisions slightly..

Those are the only two areas that I would think there might be change.. Sorry I can't be of more help... You may elect to call a Lexus dealer in California, the Lexus techs at the dealer should be able to answer that question more clearly...

Well, I have a 1992 SC400 California car... It was stock at one time..

I believe the difference is maybe with the 3 cats...My California 1992 SC400 came equiped with 3 cat converters, 2 little ones right after the headers and one main center cat located in the center of the car... There may be a difference in that cat setup... You should have the same EGR system I would think...

Check to see if you have those two little cats near the headers.. Everything else should be the same.. There is an EGR system on the California 1992 SC400's but I think that comes standard on all of them.. The EGR sytem basically recycles exhaust gases from the headers back thru the intake reduce carbon emmisions slightly..

Those are the only two areas that I would think there might be change.. Sorry I can't be of more help... You may elect to call a Lexus dealer in California, the Lexus techs at the dealer should be able to answer that question more clearly...

That helps a lot thanks. I don't have the factory exhaust manifolds and for my 4runner I think I'll wind up with custom headers. So basically an o2 sensor on each exhaust manifold/header then a small cat on each side and the a large cat and then I'm guessing a 3rd o2 sensor? I do have the egr setup so I'm fine there. I assume it also has an evap canister?

I'm in the Denver Metro area. Our emissions rules are not as tough as California, but I think that if they figure out that the motor is a CA motor they just might flip out about it being configured to non CA standards... I just basically want the exhaust/emissions to be exactly what it was in it's original factory state so they don't give me any trouble.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 118
Once you go with after market headers your car will never again pass smog.. I have the S&S Headers and the increased flow thru the headers alters the O2 sensor reads which throws the check engine light... This happen on my SC400 with the S&S Headers. We even tested it with all the 02 sensors and stock cats intact and still no cigar..... I did keep manage to keep the EGR system intact by re-positioning and welding the EGR flange onto the header down pipes.....I did manage to keep the O2 sensors in the exact same stock position but still no dice with check engine light... My check engine light remains on constantly even today...

Something to think about for you... As you may know the California emissions is the most strict in the country, so if your taking a California 1uz-fe motor and trying to register it in another State you should have very little problems I would think... Just becarefull when considering after market headers with your Cali. 1uz-fe motor and trying to keep it smog legal...That may be a big challenge for you to pull off....

Which ECU are you going to be using? Stock 1uzfe ECU, or stand alone?

Colorado has changed the check engine light to being advisory not pass/fail so I could deal with that as long as it passes the visual and blows clean on the dyno. I'll have to think about my plans for headers though I guess. I think I'm going to go with the factory CA ecu.

Yeah, just be careful on the headers you may get it to pass you may not with the stock Ca. ECU aftermarket headers... I know I didn't get it to pass with the S&S headers and I tried hard... Good luck...

Attachments

• eaton_diagram2.jpg
    eaton_diagram2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 69