Desert Prerunner w/ 4.7 vvti

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ToyPreRunr

I just joined this site today because I want to find out what kind of performance is attainable from my 2005 4.7 vvti. I plan to mate the engine to a Richmond 5-spd manual transmission and use an aftermarket ECU, maybe one by AEM. My concern after speaking with a shop foreman at a Toyota dealer is that he says the Tundra engines.. 4.7 and 5.7 fall flat on their face over 90mph. What is this due too? Is this something that can be cured by swapping the heads for Lexus heads?

Also.. I got the 5-spd auto 4x4 tranny with my 2005 Tundra 4.7 vvti motor, and I am tempted to try and trade the whole setup for a new 5.7 motor with at least a bellhousing, but no tranny otherwise. The foreman said that the 5.7 hasn't proven itself yet, and that they have seen the top end go out on them.

So many friends say I should just put a Chevy motor in my truck, but I have been holding out because I want a Toyota motor in my Toyota for the dependability and performance.

I can't say much about reliability on the 5.7 yet, but I can say it's no slouch. I love the 5.7 motor in my Tundra. If the stock power is not enough, TRD just came out with the supercharger (with the new Eaton 4 lobe design, like the new ZR1 gets) and makes 505 HP. However, finding a 5.7 might be difficult.

Yeah, I heard about that supercharger that has been in development with TRD for a few years. My brother races in Class 7s against a guy from TRD that just put the s/c on his new Tundra that he uses to "prerun", or scout out offroad race courses before the race. He also has Camburg's new extreme travel suspension kit on it too strapped at 15" front travel with 4wd. The thing is that s/c are not legal in SCORE or BITD Offroad sanctioned races which includes the grand daddy Baja 1000. Though in the unlimited Trophy Truck class, a s/c still isn't allowed, but I think I would just keep quiet. The rich guys run 800+ hp engines, one guy has an engine built by John Force's dragster engine builder with over 1000hp.

Saying they fall flat at 90 mph doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Speed has no effect on power, other than the various drag-forces that are associated with speed.

I would expect it would be more RPM dependent than anything. What isnt? His whole point was probably that the truck has a low redline, and is built for bottom end power. VS cars that get mid-top end power, generally. Hence the higher redlines as well.

What truck is this ganna be in?

I have a cab from my old 1999 Tacoma xcab 4x4 that has the floor and firewall cut out. I am going to have a complete tubular chassis built under it and have the cab welded onto the chassis to make it street legal. So basically it will be a street legal trophy truck. I have a one piece fiberglass front end and bedsides that convert it to look like a Tundra and Tundra headlights, corners and tailights slip into the fiberglass. If ever finished, it will look extremely wild!

What front suspension are you ganna run?

I havent read much on bolt on Tacona kits as of the recent. But I do recall a few years back TC released a new...wait that was 5-bolt wheels.

1-Off suspension in front? Rear ganna be 3/4 linked?

Why cab welded to the chassis? That has no effect on it being street legal, last I heard. Since no others are. But yeah the only issue that is generally a problem is fuel cells and SMOG inspections. A VVT-i 4.7 in a Tacoma without a diagnostics plug is iffy...well in CA...