Custom Flywheel

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

KazeSupra

Can anyone tell me where to find a place that can do a custom flywheel? I'm just trying to find a place that could make me a flywheel to suit the V160/adaptor/1UZ combination. I've already got a clutch I'm interested in. Please let me know what you guys have. Thanks.

Chris.

The ONLY comment I have about the V160 mated to the 1UZ-FE is because the bell housing is NOT seperable you end up having to fit a SPACER plate to mate to the 1UZ-FE. The thickness of this spacer is the amount by which the 1UZ-FE engine will sit forward of it's natural position in the JZA80 (Supra MkIV) chassis making engine mounts etc non standard.

The beauty of the R154 or the Tremec boxes is that the bell housing is removable/seperable and as the auto bellhousing is shorter you can make an ADAPTOR plate to mate the two and still get the engine sitting where is wants to be. i.e. the back face of the 6 cylinder (2JZ-GTE) engine is the same place as the 1UZ-FE V8. NOW you can use standard Toyota mounts.

SPACERs are always a bit of a pain as the gearbox input shaft now appears too short. Leading to clutch alignment, engagement and a load of other problems. Not that these cannot be fixed.

So don't dismiss the alternatives until you realise the requirements of what you are trying to achieve.

Regards
Pete

Sorry Pete, but you are wrong on all counts. With the adapter in place the input shaft fits straight into the spigot bearing ,the engine mounts bolt straight up.
I have a 1uzfe-v160 -Twin plate TRD CLutch in my MKIV.

Hi Dass,

Really? That is good to know. I'm somewhat glad this is the case.

We found it hard to get hold of a V160 as they are so rare in UK, so have never measured one.
The manual Supra TTs dont' come up at the breakers often.

So the adaptor bolts on to the engine block side of the existing V160 bell housing. Could you use all stock MkIV Supra 6spd clutches etc? I guess a bespoke flywheel?

Got any pictures of yours mated up to the 1UZ?

Regards
Pete

Dass is right. The 2JZ block's rear flange protrudes much further back, about 3/4" more than the 1UZ, which is perfect for the adapter plate.

KazeSupra, if you want to use Supra cluthces, I would either try to find a custom flywheel shop to make you a flywheel that uses mkiv pressure plates, but bolts on the 1UZ and uses a 1UZ ring gear.

Or take an aluminum 2JZGTE flywheel and a 1UZ flexplate to a machine shop and ask them to slot the holes on the flywheel just a couple of mm's to accomidate the 1UZ crankshaft bolt pattern (the 2JZ flywheel will have a hub-centric fit on the 1UZ crankshaft), then mill off the teeth of the existing ring gear on the 2JZ flywheel, enough to press fit the 1UZ ring gear (and tack weld that). Once this is all done, get the flywheel balanced.

Awesome info...thanks.

EDIT: I have a question on your second proposal. Will the 2JZ flywheel make up the distance from the transmission and the engine? Like, let's say I wanted to use WOTM single disk clutch, will it be close enough to even engage the transmission?

Kaze, PM or email our member Chrisman; he's worked out a deal with a major clutch manufacturer for a twin disc unit with full surface metallic lining, lightened steel flywheel, AND hydraulic throwout bearing. The whole assembly bolts through the existing 1UZ flex plate, so the stock starter & ring gear are retained, and no custom flywheel is required.

If you're already committed to a certain clutch, I believe Clutch Masters will build you a custom flywheel with the correct ring gear in 5-6 weeks if you send them the old 1UZ flexplate with ring gear, and some specs & dimensions on what you need for the friction surfaces, etc.

cribbj,

Has anyone had that clutch in a car and driven yet? I currently have that clutch in my budget, but I wanted to keep my eyes open for other options. Making a custom flywheel for an already available clutch like the WOTM one would be about the same price, and I know that that particular clutch is going to hold the power that I need it to, and have the driveability I want. I'll PM him and see about getting some more information. Thanks.

KazeSupra, yes, the distance is just fine. The input shaft is at the right position related to the clutch and pressure plate. I have not driven mine yet. but I have assembled it all with a single disc clucth and a ACT pressure plate, which is very similar to the WOTM clutch package.

If clutch masters can make the flywheel for you, that would be the best bet. They already make a 2JZGTE flywheel, so all they need is the 1UZ flexplate with ring gear: they can use that ring gear and measure the specs for the holes to bolt the flywheel to the crankshaft. If I had known they can do this, I would have done that. I tried to get this done with another clucth maker, and I was strung along for 1 year after paying them in advance! I finally got my money back and make my own.

KazeSupra, yes, the distance is just fine. The input shaft is at the right position related to the clutch and pressure plate. I have not driven mine yet. but I have assembled it all with a single disc clucth and a ACT pressure plate, which is very similar to the WOTM clutch package.

If clutch masters can make the flywheel for you, that would be the best bet. They already make a 2JZGTE flywheel, so all they need is the 1UZ flexplate with ring gear: they can use that ring gear and measure the specs for the holes to bolt the flywheel to the crankshaft. If I had known they can do this, I would have done that. I tried to get this done with another clucth maker, and I was strung along for 1 year after paying them in advance! I finally got my money back and make my own.

Sweet...time to re-do my budget...

Does someone have the diameter & thickness of the various flywheels being discussed here? Will these items being discussed fit inside an R15x series bellhousing? What about W series bells?