Cost to build a 500hp FI engine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Miles,

A good friend does lots of old Ferrari restorations and repairs.

One of the perenial problems he sees is workshops milling heads and dropping the deck height to a point where valves and pistons get a bit chummy.

Another problem is corrosion due to running water only in lieu of coolant. The peope can afford the finance repayments but not proper servicing!

He has a guy who welds the entire surface of the head then mills it to stock tolerances.

I have spoken to him about doing this to our engines to increase the chamber area. He doesn't see any problem other than the usual cam timing bit you would get with thicker headgaskets.

The process isn't expensive but if you are pulling the heads I would look at new lower comp pistons (not necessarily forged) as the "correct" way to lower compression. It will cost a bit more but then you cam timing is correct.

the piston ring lands on the stock pistons are pretty chunky, and the metal is similar to the HE pistons some people put in mild boosted motors - i don't see why a std 10.0:1 or 10.4:1 engine can't handle a bit more boost than "normal".

i think it should handle 10psi comfortably with good tuning and intercooling on 98RON. if you have tiny compressors that fry the air then it's gonna be detonation city, so running a larger A/R compressor ratio is a must in a turbo situation. if you want to run C21 then yeah, bump it up to 22psi and watch your times drop.

Yeah I wouldn't get into that kind of refacing stuff. $1500 for a set of pistons isn't much. I just don't think either is really necessary.

So, um... miles. the maximum boost that can be run is......... on 98ron w/ 10:1 comp ratio. and the timing maps are......... and load maps are.........

whatever the standard may be, I am keen on trying to better it with whatever help I can get. The stock motor is my platform until i get sick of changing them. Then it time to go to a lower comp ratio. call it lazy performance, i say limit testing performance without blowing a budget.

BTW miles, whats your project/car/boat?

Well, it sure as hell ain't 18psi. If you can run 18psi on 98RON pump with stock internals, I'll pick up a spoon and eat your ass!

Car. V8 Soarer. Finally had a day off today and I was out there hanging out of the engine with a tape measure drawing pictures :)

THAT GOD DAMN FRONT WATER BRIDGE!!!

(sorry)

That yellow celica has 2 x 600hp turbos on it, which i think is overkill given it makes 522rwhp. I couldnt see any problem with the stock engine producing a reliable 500rwhp if its tuned really well. " Ill " tuned engines are the common problem of engine failures.