Cost of bolts

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today I had need to purchase 4 high tensile (greade 8.8) 10mm x 125mm bolts together with nuts.

They were to mount the steering box to the chassis of my vehicle.

The correct size is 10mm and the torque reading is 85-94nm.

Cost of the bolts and nuts was a little short of $110.00.

The nuts stripped at 55nm which meant I was a long way short of what I needed plus well out of pocket.

I took the bolts back (together with my Torque Wrench, so they could see the setting) and their literature gave the bolts a yield figure of 45nm. HMMM what to do?

I then found I could buy cap head bolts of a simillar size but grade 12.5 (I think) that had a yield figure of 78nm. Much closer.

The trick bit was the cap head bolts with nuts and 8 new washers cost a total of $35.00.

I like cap heads bolts for their look plus to have greater capacity at 1/3 the price is stunning.

Next time you order some bolts check out the price of cap heads over conventional.

Sure you need to use an Allen wrench to hold one end but the saving makes it look worthwhile.

That price sounds insane for 4 bolts. I'm sure I only paid a third of that when I bought enough to do my body lift, though I think they're only M8 if that makes a huge difference.

Beware of metric fasteners !
Metric class 8.8 IS NOT THE SAME as imperial grade 8, in fact it is only HALF the strength of imperial grade 8.

If you are stuck with metric, make SURE (even socket head cap screws) they are class 12.9, which is closer to grade 8.

With the large number of Asian bolts on the market you are never sure of the quality. Which is why I will always prefer NAS imperial hardware, unless I am forced to use metric.

Ahh I could have got you some.. Mitchels in Hornsby is where we get all sorts of bolts from...
1/4 Leighton Pl
Hornsby 9482 1811
Not far from home..

Mitchell's is where I buy all my fasteners from. Nice folk and have a huge range.

When I stripped the 8.8's they sold me the cap heads and gave me 4 replacement nuts for the stripped bolts as I can cut the stipped section off and use them to mount my bumpers in lieue of the tired old bolts that belong there.

I wish they had told me about the price and quality difference earlier or Errol had mentioned the Imperial bolts. Oh well?

The 12.9's are much better but thanks for the news on the imperials being superior. Doesn't surprise me the French make funny cars, and average wine so funny bolts stand to reason. Certainly finding quality bolts is hard. Sometimes you see H/T bolts that have a rough finish to them and that doesn't spell H/T to me.

Now all I need to do is find a use for the 1,000's of nuts and bolts in my garage as anytime I need a fastener it seems none of mine will fit. Must be Murphy's Law.

If the bolts had diamonds in them they may have been cheaper.

I had the same problem when i used 8.8 grade bolts for my flywheel,they just wouldnt torque up to about 80nm.Pulled them out to inspect and you could see the middle of the thread was narrower than the rest.I dint want to use cap heads as the would off been to small head wise without washers etc.