Low cost power from 1uz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kameleon25

I have a 1uz out of a 94 ls400 I am about to swap into either my 85 celica or 93 pickup. Either way I want to go ahead and do what I can to get a few extra ponies out of the engine. I am running the stock W5X series trans in either vehicle so that will help the power to the wheels rather than going through an auto slushbox. I was looking at the 2uzfe shorty headers for a few extra HP but what can be done with the intake? I don't want to spend alot on it right now so stuff like forced induction and messing with internals is out.

On the stock computer your going to have to keep it simple. Port matching is the simplest and least costly. Next up with be high temp coatings to keep the heat out of the intake and to keep the heat in the exhaust rather than let in permeate the engine compartment. Then the costs really start to jump. There is Extrudehone and some internal coatings. But I think that is probably not a road you would be interested in.

Jake

I do plan to at a minimum wrap the exhaust manifolds if not get ceramic coated ones. As for feeding the engine cool air I will run the intake filter as far away from the exhaust and as far forward as I can. What kind of gains should I realistically expect if I were to run the 2uz shorty headers with true dual exhaust and just some mufflers (no cats).

Running the intake as far away from the exhaust is just a small part of it. I am talking about having every part of the intake coated right down to the lower manifold. No matter how cool the air is that is being taken in there is a lot of heat that can be added from the air filter to the cylinder head.

I think you could consider yourself quite fortunate if you saw a 5 - 10 horsepower gain. In truth all that work is really not cost effective if done with the right materials. Try to take in as clean and as cool air as possible. Wrap or coat the intake and exhaust. Then make sure the air in the engine compartment is well circulated. You will probably see the same horsepower gains if any really. The 1U is a very efficient and well designed engine. For any real horsepower gains for dollars spent you would need to go turbo, supercharger or NOS with an aftermarket computer.

Jake

After market ECU will get you the biggest gains. the stock tune is very conservative in both ign adv and A/F. More adv and lean it up, with the headers and a decent CAI and you'll easy get upwards of 200hp at the rear treads...maybe as much as 230-40rwhp.

After market ECU will get you the biggest gains. the stock tune is very conservative in both ign adv and A/F. More adv and lean it up, with the headers and a decent CAI and you'll easy get upwards of 200hp at the rear treads...maybe as much as 230-40rwhp.

Is there an inexpensive piggyback to adjust A/F and timing? sounds like that would be ideal if exists...

Megasquirt are pretty cheap and Adaptronic do a plug and play, so you can ditch the stock ECU entirely, for good prices.

A heap of options out there these days actually