Cost of Supra (V160) Swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Xirforever and I discussed this few months ago. For an average person do have this conversion to be done and working properly it will run about $9,000 to $9,500. The price including parts and labor along with standalone ecu. I will have the price breakdown little later when Xir get online. If this is the true price for the conversion, I wonder if its worth the task. Here is my break down on it:

* V160 transmission: $2,200 (USED)
* Adaptor plate: $747
* Pedal assembly: $600
* Clutch assembly: $700
* ECU: $1,500
* ECU installation and tuning: $1,000
* Labor: $2,000 (including transmission mounts mod, yoke mods, driveshaft mod.
* Interior Mods: $200
* Other hidden expenses

So simply buying a plate is just the initial 8.35% (Californis sale tax is 8.25%) of the cost. Therefore, if you can not do most of the labor or engineering yourself. Have your budget prepared. That is why there are few plates being sold in our classified section. Make sure you do the math before jumping it in. I would love to have a 6 speed ( I prefer T56 from either the Cobra, Camero, Trans Am, Vet or the Vipers) but the cost is not justifying my budget. I am not trying to discourage people from doing the conversion. However, knowing what you are getting into is very important.

The above mention price is based on a non-manual cars or truck like the SC400/430, GS400/430, LS400/430 or Tundra. If you can trick the ecu, then you save $2,500.

I think these costs are similar for just about any auto to manual conversion, not just the V160. You can save some money if you get a inexpensive manual transmission, but then you are probably limiting your power potential. IMO, a lot of people buying the V160 adapter probabaly have a Supra, with a stand-alone ECU, and a V160 already, and are looking to convert from 2JZGTE to 1UZ. For those people, it is very cost effective.

turboandrew said:
I think these costs are similar for just about any auto to manual conversion, not just the V160. You can save some money if you get a inexpensive manual transmission, but then you are probably limiting your power potential. IMO, a lot of people buying the V160 adapter probabaly have a Supra, with a stand-alone ECU, and a V160 already, and are looking to convert from 2JZGTE to 1UZ. For those people, it is very cost effective.
You are right. Those people with the basic plateform then its much easier and cheaper especially with Supra conversion. You will save tons if you have the parts mentioned by Andrew.

I think those prices are a bit high or brand new pieces from the dealership. Here Is how I was budgeting for the swap and I have an SC400. I see it like deals can always be made if you look and source from multiple sources. I "think" most people doing the swap would be looking for used parts rather then new on most things. Here is the prices I was budgeting

Trans $1000-2000 (Supraforums and junkyards have these things)
Adapter plate $300 (group buy price)
Pedal assy $100-150 (can be had from SC3 or MKIV. And you can get it for cheaper)
Clutch assy: It is also unknown but from what I have been seeeing 350-700 for clutch & flywheel packages.
ECU ? ( Would look around = there can be quote a few things that can work from the crown ecu (aussies use) to Megasquirt $200-400 to full on AEM EMS @ 1500-2000. Or you can just trick the ecu, which can be done. So this would be the biggest varible in the decision to budget for a manual
Labor: Do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined and get a buddy to help. = case of beer and pizza
Interior pieces: $50-100 (thats if you decide to get a new shift knob:slaphappy )
Driveshaft can be done for 250-400 from local driveshaft shop
and budget $200 for misc. things

Just an opinion. Flame suit on:approve:
I think it can be done for $2000 - $4000 if you want stand alone. Provided you do much of the work yourself

What about the R154 tranny swap?...That is a cheaper alternative in comparison to the V160 and from what I have read...Power ratings are decent.....

I think the engine swaps may be cheaper to do then the tranny swaps.

its unfortunate that the v160 is so pricey, more for those that can afford a supra in the first place. I think a more affordable alternative many uz owners should consider is the r154. Very strong, and i find them on ebay for $300 much of the time. If the person on this forum who was speaking of producing the bellhousing and flywheel in america, which i think were $350 and $300 respectively (check that), then say 200-300 for clutch this combo could be mated in the $1200 range, of course plus your in vehicle needs, trans cross member, driveshaft, pedals, speedo adapt, and ecu trickery......this could be a more affordable path for higher output set-ups.

I am going for the R154 myself now, so that extra 1500 or so can be use to help me with ecu and things of that like that:veryhappy

Parts price are as it is. You get what you pay for. $1000 V160 is possible but rebuild is a must. Rebuilt kit ( I dont know but I would assume around $400-$500 plus $400-$500 labor for rebuilding. That will bring you up close to $2,000 mark. If you dont rebuild the transmission, it will cost more in the future. Brand new V160 is about $4,500-$5,000. Like I stated the price above is for an Average person. Not gurus....

The price of the trans is what makes this conversion expensive. I'm in Japan so it's possible to get ahold of a Getrag set (trans peddles/cylinders/clutches sets/driveshaft/maybe even the diff, everything to do with the transmission) for less than 2G. I think that's a great price the R154 can be a bit cheaper. But in the end it depends on your needs a lot of people want to go for the highest possible capabilities and will never reach them. I am going to shoot Neil a line and see if he has more info on his swap. I'm a bit curious as to how much modification really needs to be made. The trans eventually connects to the diff, and the Supra/Soarer/SC diffs are all pretty much interchangeable to me that would mean the connections between them and the transmission are the same. My reasons for selling my adapter have nothing to do with the cost. I'm a SC owner not a Supra one... in my case I like the automatic feel, I like being able to have a nice, simple, joyful driving experience and I don't want to make my car a full time sports car. I thought I did but now I know I don't. Personally for the 1UZ I would recommend the R154, it handles a grip of power probably about 600rwhp, sure it could be strengthen to double that if the A340's can. 1UZ's don't get above that point in the street environment (I haven't found one yet) and ultimately it's going to be less expensive 2G's maybe a bit less in the best situations. So whether it's worth it or not is entirely dependant on your goals and the love you have for your car and vision for it.

The V160 shifts like butter and has that wonderful 6 gears and 4 digit hp holding capacity...The R154 has only five gears and as mentioned holds probably only half the power of the V160 tranny.... Something also to consider between the two...

Oh yeah as far as the ecu, there is someone here who has used the factory ecu on this type of conversion, forgot the exacs but it can be tricked to run shouldn't be too expensive to do.

This is what it cost in major parts to do a 5spd to 6spd conversion on a 1997 Supra 2.5 years ago. If I'd started with an automatic, it would have been substantially more. All these are/were new parts, and the same parts now are probably 25% higher.

Note: no labor is included in these prices! If you're paying to have this done, the labor will be about as much as the parts.

Also, this is only the cost of the 5spd to 6spd conversion; it doesn't include the build of the 2JZ-GTE motor, the change from OEM EMS to standalone, etc., etc.......

It's almost better to buy a used TT Supra with the V160 already in it and sell the Lexus....EXPENSIVE!!!!! A good used SC400 Lexus costs around 10k and with tranny swap another 10K and that right there is 20k....I think you can buy a used TT Supra for around that much last time I looked.....

Those 93-98 TT Supra's even at stock are pretty damn fast when running at full potential...

cribbj said:
This is what it cost in major parts to do a 5spd to 6spd conversion on a 1997 Supra 2.5 years ago. If I'd started with an automatic, it would have been substantially more. All these are/were new parts, and the same parts now are probably 25% higher.

Note: no labor is included in these prices! If you're paying to have this done, the labor will be about as much as the parts.

Also, this is only the cost of the 5spd to 6spd conversion; it doesn't include the build of the 2JZ-GTE motor, the change from OEM EMS to standalone, etc., etc.......
attachment.php

WOW.... didn't know the price was that high. So my estimation is pretty conservative comparing to your actual numbers. Thanks for the info....

In 2000 that German trans retailed in Toyota pricing at $5600 new. Just don't do the swap thinking it won't ever break.

True, but no one pays retail for Toyota parts. Minimum discount is 25-30%. I admit that I did get mine for a killer price.

The breakdown of parts for a totally complete V160 swap, from the diff to the interior console parts, is on SF.com in the elmhurst toyota dealer section. All brand new parts from toyota and the total is $10k. Very complete list down to every nut and bolt. I have been using it to repair a very badly done manual swap on a jza80 and it has been very helpful. The ancillary parts are actually very affordable. The $10k does include a brand new tranny and diff so you can definitely get better prices on those.

cribbj said:
True, but no one pays retail for Toyota parts. Minimum discount is 25-30%. I admit that I did get mine for a killer price.
In my experience many do.

That is how I know the V160 was 5600 in parts, and an A340E was 4500. They are called Camry and 4Runner owners, and they exist in great numbers. It is the enthusiast market that goes cheap.

Attachments

• HPIM0273.JPG
    HPIM0273.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0180.JPG
    HPIM0180.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 7