Conservative FI setup

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

supercoupe

OK, I'll admit. I'm kind of overwelmed by all the different FI setups you guys are running. I still remember the days when there were like 2-3 supercharged 1UZFEs :)

I'm trying to figure out what the most conservative, proven and - most importantly - easy to install FI setup would be for my 93 SC400. I'm not looking for out-of-this-world gains nor does it have to be dirt cheap (although that would be nice of course). What is most important to me is that it is usable in a daily driver, does not require a bunch of additional mods (ECU, exhaust, injectors and whatnot) and is relatively simple to install AND remove.

Why? Because here in Switzerland, we have to take our cars to the DMV equivalent every 2 years for a detailed inspection. Simply no way to pass that with a supercharger sitting on the engine.

Please help to get me started.

Thanks

We have the same situation here in the U.S. where I live. Some other places don't require smog inspection. :happysad: Basically, that's no chance to run any modifications at all. However, if you're willing to install the basic setup such as the Eaton M90 supercharger with around 6-7 psi boost, you might be able to get away from the inspector if he doesn't know how this 1UZ engine looks like...LOL. This low boost setup only needs to have a high flow high pressure fuel pump and the FMU to increase the fuel pressure. The smog output will be like stock. Also, try to make paint the setup black or silver like stock so the inspector won't notice. Or you have to take off this setup, and put stock setup back every 2 years before smog inspection. It only takes a few hours to put everything back. That's how some of us do here.

Perhaps a nitrous injection setup would be an alternative? Jibbby has been running one of these and they're OK for those occasional bursts of power. Certainly a cheap alternative to FI.

And if your DMV inspectors aren't "too" switched on, they might not even notice the additional nozzle(s), and the rest of the system could be easily removed to pass inspection.

But if you really want a true FI setup, then an M90 Eaton or a Whipple sitting on a Richwood manifold will be your least intrusive setup, and the fastest to remove.

Don't even think about putting a turbo or two on the car, unless you're prepared to build up a spare motor to pass your inspections....

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I could get away with a supercharger. And I simply cannot afford to take any chances since they not only would have me remove it, but I'd also have to pay a massive, MASSIVE fine ... we're talking several thousands :eek:mfg:. So for me, it's removing and reinstalling whatever I have in there every 2 years.

Your comments actually confirm what I already figured myself. Turbo is out of the question, and a M90 appears to be the easiest route. As far as I understand, it's basically a matter of installing the supercharger itself. At 5-6 psi, no additional mods should be required, right?

Now there's the question of where to get a complete kit at a decent price. I know there's bulletcars, but I read quite a few negative comments about them. And then there's Rush, but they have no description of there fitting kit on their website, just the price :scratchchin:

Any other sources for includes-everything-no-custom-fabrication-required kits? I'd prefer to be able to do everything myself, since competent tuners are rare and very expensive around here.

Ne1 wants to sell me their M90 setup :silly:

Is there any way it can be checked and tested before test ??
Turbo's can be easier on emissions, may be rear mount Volvo units??
But I'd use blower since you already have one..
Sometimes it pays to be up front with these guys and ask direct ??
Here we have have it engineered then EPA tested...

XR8TT

It's not just emissions if that's what you're thinking. It's simply illegal to increase the car's performance by more than some small percentage (don't remember, it's either 5 or 10%) without going through a "driving dynamics" test in which they check whether the brakes, suspension etc. are able to handle the power. And you are NOT allowed to have stuff like coilovers, stabilizers, modded brakes etc. on it, unless they have gone through the same types of tests INDIVIDUALLY before :shrug:. Even if the car passes, the test itself costs several thousands. Then there's emissions, sound level etc. etc. etc.

My guesstimate for going the legal route is $10000 and 3 months at least just for the paperwork and testing. So I basically have the choice of leaving my car stock (which it isn't anymore anyway) or becoming a criminal :saroll:

So back to the question: If you were me, where would you look for the most complete, proven M90 kit (with or without blower)?

Stroker, high compression, cams, intake and exhaust. FI it self is NOT conservative.

* NOS
* Root Charger
* Centrifigal (FISH)
* Single Turbo
* Twin Turbo
* Twin Charged

From mild to wild......

Stroker, high compression, cams, intake and exhaust. FI it self is NOT conservative.

* NOS
* Root Charger
* Centrifigal (FISH)
* Single Turbo
* Twin Turbo
* Twin Charged

From mild to wild......

I hear you. FI is certainly not a modest form of tuning a car. But let's take intake and exhaust as an example. Could I pass the inspection with it? Absolutely not, unless it's invisible, does not affect emissions and sound level. So I would still end up having to remove all that stuff from the car every 2 years.

So yes, the "normal" thing to do in my situation would be to just forget about it and enjoy the Lex as it is. The trouble is, I'm not normal ... :fest30:

I understand there are some Honda owners in California who have highly modified motors in their cars that they drive everyday, and have a stock motor sitting on an engine stand, ready to drop in for the annual inspection.

That must be a real PITA, especially since it's FWD and every year. Yours would be a lot simpler since the car is RWD, and your inspection is only every two years.

These motors are so cheap and easy to acquire, you could pick one up, build it up in your spare time on an engine stand, then swap it in when you're ready. Or, even easier, simply buy a "built" motor from Lextreme - the prices on the built short and long blocks are VERY attractive. In hindsight, that's what I would do if I had it to do over again. In my case, I would have saved nearly $5000, and at least a year's time.

Since you have an SC400, and if you want to go standalone, you can get a Plug & Play AEM ECU, and not even have to modify your existing harness.

Depending on the output you're after, the only system you "might" have to modify off the engine, would be the fuel supply system. However, if you simply put a voltage booster (like the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump) on your existing fuel pump, which would boost its output only under "boost", you could then probably get away with not modifying the fuel supply system any further.

With GOOD tune and mild cams, cats and everything working as it should. It should have NO issues passing emissions.. It seems that even looking modified they will deffect you ?? SO it seems mild cams as its well known the std cams are low rpm torque oriented, even just more lift .. Check Kelford cams...
http://www.camshaftshop.com/catalogue/525/884/toyota-207-c-camshaft/
My twin turbo's 5.0 Ford passed emissions here, but boost was only 5Lb...Couldn't run to lean it bought nox levels too high...With good cats and 02 sensers it will pass..
The benefits of stand alone ecu...

A second engine might be an idea worth considering. But a "simple" supercharger setup still would be quicker to remove / install, no?

And yes, LOOKING modded is not good. I won't even try to explain the details, but basically ANY modification is illegal. So as soon as it can be seen, heard, measured, felt or whatever, I have a problem. Just as an example, this includes rims :shocked:, even if they're the exact same size and et as the originals. Cams might be something I could get away with. But what kind of gains could I expect from them? Any estimate?

So, the question is not really what I can leave on the car for inspection, it's the question of whether there is something with a good "headache / performance" ratio. I still think a mild supercharger setup might be the best route, although I get the impression you are trying to talk me out of it :crying: :wink:

Sorry guys, I know my situation is kind of f...d, so I appreciate your help even more.

Thanks

Jake, it's a Kart track. Never been there. That's it: http://www.kartbahnwohlen.ch/

Steve, yeah sometimes Switzerland can be a bit annoying. But still, quite a few people mod their cars. They just find something that can be removed quickly or is undetectable (chip tuning for example is popular).

Let me put it this way: Let's assume I'd be happy with 50rwhp. I could probably do intake and ECU / piggyback, but that would get me nowhere near that number. Modding the exhaust is really a problem, since this is the first thing the police / DMV look at. So what more could I do? Cams might work, but I have yet to see an estimate of what kind of gains I'd see from that. Not sure about stroking either ... that must have an effect on emmissions, no?

A second engine might be an idea worth considering. But a "simple" supercharger setup still would be quicker to remove / install, no?...Thanks
Installation will take a longer time due to the fitting and make it work. Removal will be a lot easier. I'm very positive you can remove the M90 system off the car and put the original parts back in 4 hours or less. 4 hours for the entire 2 years are really worth something, aren't they? For the M90 setup, you will only need a bigger fuel pump (you can leave it untouched for the stock setup) and the FMU to increase the fuel pressure (you should remove this to have the stock fuel pressure). Theorically, the FMU should work as stock without boosting, but my experience says otherwise. It consumes more fuel than normal without boost. This will make your car run a little richer and you might not pass smog inspection. With boosting, the FMU would give near ideal air/fuel ratio. That's why all smog legal turbo or supercharge kits only use the FMU and the larger high pressure fuel pump.

Currently, I'm not seeing any 100% complete M90 kit. So you'll need to modify things to make it work. It's not too hard. Several people already did it successfully.

Installation will take a longer time due to the fitting and make it work. Removal will be a lot easier. I'm very positive you can remove the M90 system off the car and put the original parts back in 4 hours or less. 4 hours for the entire 2 years are really worth something, aren't they? For the M90 setup, you will only need a bigger fuel pump (you can leave it untouched for the stock setup) and the FMU to increase the fuel pressure (you should remove this to have the stock fuel pressure). Theorically, the FMU should work as stock without boosting, but my experience says otherwise. It consumes more fuel than normal without boost. This will make your car run a little richer and you might not pass smog inspection. With boosting, the FMU would give near ideal air/fuel ratio. That's why all smog legal turbo or supercharge kits only use the FMU and the larger high pressure fuel pump.

Currently, I'm not seeing any 100% complete M90 kit. So you'll need to modify things to make it work. It's not too hard. Several people already did it successfully.

Yes, this is exactly how I figured it. First time fitting will probably be a lot harder than subsequent removals / reinstallations. Not having a complete kit is bad news though. I don't have the tools (and probably skills) to fabricate missing parts, and labor costs are prohibitive here in Switzerland.

Well, I have a few little projects in the works right now (not performance related), so I still have some time to decide ...

Thanks again for all the suggestions