"Coil on plug" coils for 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I feel the same way on John's opinion. If I could get something that would actually work out of the box, then I would consider something else. Having the right ECU connector and 90% of the wires already done is a huge plus. I am not big fan of wasted spark, but when I had it on my Supra with a decent ignition box (which almost everyone seems to get anyway) it was never an issue. I also am not aware of any other ECU for mere mortals that can control infinitly variable valve timing (perhaps, motec, don't know), which I really want. If I were to really want direct fire ignition and keep all the features I already have in the AEM, and have to do a from-scratch harness, I'd be looking at over $5000 easily. I am not ready to invest that much more money to go to direct fire. Now, if someone can make/sell me an ignition box that takes a ignition event input, and cam sensor sync input, and can be programmed to directly fire any multitude of coil types we have discussed here, then I am very interested!

John,
You never use more than one coil per igniter output. You wire one of the inputs on one igniter to one of the inputs on another igniter, then the 2 inputs go to one ignition output on the ECU. this way both COP coils get full current.

Turboandrew,
M400, M600 & M800 have the ability to control up to 4 camshafts

FAST eDIST

Turboandrew,
The FAST eDIST2 or even the old eDIST will work with stock toyota camshaft pickup sensors. You can use the other unused camshaft sensor to reference the edist box.

Honda makes a nice 2 wire motorcycle COP that usually goes for real cheap. Apparently works with the AEM unit. I'm looking into this application.

This one has a tip that's modified for length to fit a Honda GSR head, but it's close to fitting the 1uz. It could be adjusted slightly to work with the stock cam covers because it just bearly hits it right now.
COPhonda.jpg

That honda coil is quite nice. I wonder if the honda bikes used a CD ignition, and those coils are well suited for a CD box -that would be perfect for me.

Tonight I fit the Honda COP on the 1UZ plug without the adapter I had for the Honda GSR head, and they fit perfectly. You can use the cam covers without interference and they look KLEEN.
They came off of the F4i motorcycles which had a CDI unit integral to the ECU. I know these work with the AEM and their CDI unit.

It looks like the Honda coils can be used. I'd had a look around and I have found pictures
of them. I have also found pictures of the loom connecting them.

Since these coils are meant for CDI ignition and the Honda's already have CDI boxes, what
if you use the Honda CDI box too ?

Was thinking the same thing.
I think I read somewhere that they fire in wasted spark, but I guess thats a function of the Honda ecu.
Fitting under the cam covers is awesome news.
Would there be any heat issues with a lack of ventilation as our covers dont have airflow.
I have noticed occasionally on hipo engines with cops that they sometimes remove the covers for better airflow.
Bottom pic is of an S2000 using these cops running an AEM CD2i

Attachments

• 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 21
Would be really nice to find these brand new, as I do not want to play roulette when buying these on ebay. Anyone have the p/n for the Honda coils? I am also trying to find a Wells Manufacturing catalog, as they seem to make a lot of OEM COP parts.

Also, lot's of good info here about honds coils, and also 300M coils, which coincidently use Toyta/Lexus connectors:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...834+denso+coil-on-plug&hl=en&client=firefox-a

I think the 2 or 3uzfe COP would work on the 1uzfe since they have similar heads. I will find out which one will be cheaper. I am sure 2uzfe would be cheaper.

Don't forget if you go wasted spark you will need spark plugs which fire in both directions.

The highlander,

You can do away with the distributers and make fitting an aftermarket ECU easier.

On another tack.

I've been playing with my Ford items and I discovered the spring that runs from the coil unit to the plug slides onto a "spade" terminal inside the coil unit. It can be easilly removed and the spade is the same size as a spark plug end. This means I can attach the plug end of a plug wire to the coil unit.

Using this information I could remotely mount the 8 coils and run double ended plug leads to the plugs. This means I could do away with the existing distributors when fitting an EMS system plus still fit the plastic plug covers on the engine. I have room to fit them where they won't be seen but still have good airflow.