can't turn 1uz by hand help!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

B25

hey!
I recently bought a first gen 1uzfe from a local U pull it for a project.

I have almost no experience with the engine, but I did notice that I could not turn the crank (from the bolt on the front pulley wheel) by hand.

I thought it could be because the timing belt was cut (but still on), and when I turned the crank, it wasnt turning the pulley wheels on the head, since the timing belt wasnt turning them with the crank.

I thought it might also be because the torque converter was installed.

it is worth noting that I was able to turn the crank about 5 inches, but then it would become much harder to turn, and I was unable to turn it further. the first time I did this, some sort of fluid (oil?) bubbled up one of the intakes on the inside of the heads (the ones that the throttle body channels into).

I am posting this because I am worried that the engine has some sort of damage that I am unaware of (since it's from a U pull it style yard).

why cant I turn the crank by hand?

sorry if this is in the wrong section
sorry if this is a dumb question

thanks!

hey!
I recently bought a first gen 1uzfe from a local U pull it for a project.

I have almost no experience with the engine, but I did notice that I could not turn the crank (from the bolt on the front pulley wheel) by hand.

I thought it could be because the timing belt was cut (but still on), and when I turned the crank, it wasnt turning the pulley wheels on the head, since the timing belt wasnt turning them with the crank.

I thought it might also be because the torque converter was installed.

it is worth noting that I was able to turn the crank about 5 inches, but then it would become much harder to turn, and I was unable to turn it further. the first time I did this, some sort of fluid (oil?) bubbled up one of the intakes on the inside of the heads (the ones that the throttle body channels into).

I am posting this because I am worried that the engine has some sort of damage that I am unaware of (since it's from a U pull it style yard).

why cant I turn the crank by hand?

sorry if this is in the wrong section
sorry if this is a dumb question

thanks!
take out the spark plugs, and see it its full of water ?

Try turning it backwards. If there is an obstruction like a valve open it should turn backwards for a short way as well.

pull the covers off the Dizzys and check timing belt
also spray light oil down the spark plug holes and then turn motor
till it stops then turn it opposite way till it stops
keep turning back and forth for afew minutes to see if it frees up
it might be carbon on the bores and as piston comes up the rings hit
the carbon and then won't turn any further
we have this problem on some jap import motors since they sit for awhile

They also seize camshafts and valve seize. I would be removing the intake and exhaust manifolds and maybe the tappet covers and covering it with penatrating oil (CRC , Inox , WD40) then rock it. I had one like this that lumps of carbon had fallen off and jammed between the piston and the head. We ended up soaking it with carb cleaner and it started turning. I then found a better motor as I didnt trust that one. It was used for parts. Cheers

thanks for the replies everyone!

for some reason when I turn it, liquid rises almost to the surface of one of the
cylinder intakes (where the intake manifold used to be). I believe the liquid is gasoline.
I think it may have something to do with it not turning over as if there
is gasoline in the cylinder, the piston wouldnt be able to move up far enough
to complete a rotation (as the gasoline is in the way).

how can I drain my cylinder?

I thought about some how hoisting it upside down and then turning the cam shaft.

I thought about some how hoisting it upside down and then turning the cam shaft.

Try this and if no joy turn it into a coffee table.. Either that or you have an excuse to build a very nasty 1UZ as the engine will be coming apart for an overhaul

I got it from a picknpull so I figured I would overhaul it just to make sure it wasnt blown or anything, I will start taking it apart and replacing gaskets and seals etc, and hopefully figure out why the hell its full of liquid. thanks all! I will do a post with pictures when I figure it out, to help people in the future, but keep the replies coming until then, any info is much appreciated

arent pick n pull parts "as is"?
its been more than a month since I got it.

is this a super serious issue?
I thought it was just some fluid in the cylinder and nothing more..I could definitely be wrong though.
I think its probably a good idea to rebuild every engine you get from a pick n pull since you have no idea what has happened to them, but I could be wrong there too.

thanks!