Can we use a spare ECU for knock controle?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

quadcam boat

Had an idea the other night.
Can a spare ecu be used a knock sensor?
This is the idea.
Hook up a spare ECU to the factory knock sensors.
Feed a simulated constant crank speed into it.....
and measure the change in ignition timing output to indicate knock.

This may be practicle if we can get the ecu to function without going into 'limp home mode' without having to simulate every input that the ecu normally is connected to. If you have to wire every sensor to it, it would be a pain in the arse.

I'm not sure how many inputs we would have to supply the ECU before it will give us an ignition output.

And we need some way to measure changes in ignition timing.

Just a crazy idea of mine, but if it could be easily done, It would be a great tool for tuning aftermarket ECU's. I am assuming the original toyota ECU would be excellent in detecting knock on the engine it was designed and caliberated for.
KDog, what do you think??

Great idea but what a hassle. What about starting with an aftermarket ECU that has knock control(link plus) or one of the knock meters that can be purchased. If running an aftermarket ECU without knock than both knock sensors could be used.
What ECU are you running in your boat?
Cheers Kelvin

Not a bad idea but I would say it would be too hard to implement and difficult to use. You would need quite a lot of sensors attached in order for the ECU to run properly. Also the factory system doesn't realy change that much. It will detect knock and retard the timing, it won't put it back to normal straight away. You will loose real time tuning and may have to do quite a lot of runs to get close. I think you would save money buying a knock detector for the amount of time that may be invovled. Food for thought.