Spare or No Spare

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I am about to relocate my battery to the back of the truck of a SC4. I would like to hide the battery and use the space for cargo or whatever. I am thinking about getting rid of the spare tire and put my battery in that location. What do u think?

I wouldn't do it, David. The tow car isn't always there for you. Imagine you drive your car to some place that the tow car will need 3-4 hours to get to you. Also, when you have the bigger LS brake on the SC, you'll need to have a spacer to fit the spare wheel on the car, or you'll need a LS wheel to fit on the car.

I run without a spare. I carry a fix-a-flat in a can and also would call a bud if I need a ride back to my house to get the spare and jack, no biggie.. The only time it bit me is when I went to race Steve and got that flat on the freeway.. Had to buy new tires on spot.. However, my tires were worn at the time..

Lex, if you have good tires with tread I would chance it and go without the spare and jack. Long trips then throw the spare in the trunk temporarily.. It's rare to get flats with good tires..

If you're really hung up on carrying a spare then go to Pep Boys and buy one of those tiny cheap small spare tires that only go 40mph..

My power steering pump just started leaking today on my SC400:crying: I'm wondering if I want to ditch the powersteering unit all together and muscle it? I'm pretty sure it is just a hose leak, I need to crawl under the car tomorrow and check it out before making any harsh decisions..

Attachments

• RBDrift03 small.JPG
    RBDrift03 small.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 23
Ahh Jibb you gotta keep the PS. It can be fixed! You can get a rebuilt one from Carquest for cheap and it comes with a crazy warranty! I had a custom high pressure line MADE for me for under $100 and it converts the line to standard fittings so if mine breaks ever I can go to any hydraulic hose store (tractor supply store or whatever) and replace the line for just a few bucks. If you can do all those crazy mods to your engine a simple PS leak should be no thang.

David I wouldn't relocate the battery, no way - too many reasons not to.

If you really want to carry a spare I would find one that is aluminum and fits your lug pattern. That way it will look cool and be super light. I had one for my RX-7. People actually would run spare aluminum wheels on the front of their cars at the drag strip. :D

I just throw a spare in the back of my cars when I go on a road trip. Just don't run down your tires to the bottom tread and you'll rarely have a flat. I have only had ONE tire flat in my whole life while driving. And I've driven more miles in different vehicles at my age than anyone else that isn't a pro driver. I'll take my chances!

Ahh Jibb you gotta keep the PS. It can be fixed! You can get a rebuilt one from Carquest for cheap and it comes with a crazy warranty! I had a custom high pressure line MADE for me for under $100 and it converts the line to standard fittings so if mine breaks ever I can go to any hydraulic hose store (tractor supply store or whatever) and replace the line for just a few bucks. If you can do all those crazy mods to your engine a simple PS leak should be no thang.

Yeah, I know Smitherz.. I'll keep it, just thinking it over.. Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look at Carquest for a rebuild..

Sorry for the thread jack Lex..

Dude, you still have the stock bulky CD changer in your trunk? It's time for you to dump that dinosaur and get a Ipod hookup head. I haven't played a CD in years, it's all about Ipod and computer music downloads these days..
CD's are all most obsolete now anyways..:alcoholic:

im not sure bout the SC but some cars have space for puttin batteries in the back in the middle just behind the rear seat .. remove the carpet n check .. u mite not have to get rid of the spare or u can make a harness of some sort somthin cute behind on of the lights would b out of the way as well =]

screw the spare David. Thats what your yearly AAA payments are for. I have had my LS400 w/o any spare for a daily driven 3 years and only had 1 flat. I waited a total of 30min and was at a local repair place. Just do an overall check every couple weeks for nails/cuts.

Also, fix a flat isn't a bad idea either like Jib said.

As for the battery location you can mount in your old cd changer location or do what I did... bolt a battery box to your spare tire well floor and fill around it with Great Stuff expanding foam. the battery box lid will seal it and for good measure throw the factory floor on top of that. By putting the battery here you benefit from mounting 50lb in a very low position on the car, much lower that the factory underhood location. Also, the battery will be at the furthest back location possible, aiding in front/rear distribution as well as increased traction from this weight being placed slightly behind the rear wheels. Your SC will handle better immidiatly after this swap.

BTW, I upgraded my battery to an optima yellow top and I never had charging/reserve issues

I am about to relocate my battery to the back of the truck of a SC4. I would like to hide the battery and use the space for cargo or whatever. I am thinking about getting rid of the spare tire and put my battery in that location. What do u think?
Not worth it to me. I've had a few occasions where a spare tire saved the day, and an occasion where not having the spare tire forced me to sleep in the car in a horrible horrible neighborhood at 3am until help arrived the next day.
So keep that spare, and check on it regularly!