Cambelt tensioner info please ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

5020Chris

Hi, have stripped the front off the 1uz this morning to do the rotor arms,caps,water pump,idlers, tensioners and cam belt etc and was wondering how the cam belt tensioner works ? Is it a heavy spring of sorts in that tube that is held on with the two studs ? And it has a small hole in the pin that presses on the tensioner arm, do you compress this in a vice and put a small pin in then release it when the new cambelt is on ? It just seems VERY strong to compress and thought i'd ask before I go and screw it up in the vice ! nice one, Chris.

Correct on all points. Also, it's suggested that you use either a very high quality after market timing belt, or better, a belt from your Lexus dealer.

Several of us have found that the cheaper aftermarket belts were still rather loose after installation, and this caused the engine to jump time.

Personally, I have had to put a small cap on the top of the tensioner post to increase its height, and the tension of the belt. I think David (Lextreme) has also had to do this.

If you want to reuse the tensioner then use a vice to compress but be gentle. Add some pressure then wait a moment and you will find it gets a bit easier and compress again. Align the holes before starting as good as you can. If there is any sign of fluid leakage around the top then replace. I keep them in stock as they are very cheap over here in NZ. Cheers