Cam Re-grinding

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
Scince we cant just go out and buy new cams for the 1UZ-FE, why not just have the stock ones re-ground? I know of a relighable place that can regrind for $100 per cam. Anyone know if re-grinding is possible on our cams? what specs would be good for an over all good NA or turbo setup?

I already have a company that can re-grind them but my question is, to what specs do you guys think they should be re-ground to? Plus, kelford is a little far from California.

it is possible it does not leave as much option for grinds and the base circle is smaller.
what are you going to do when you get them back with a smaller base circle?
would love to know as regrind is $600 and new cams is three times that.

What do you mean by "base Circle"? the bottom part they grind? I can get the cams done for $400 but i need to know what specs to grind them to.

There is no problem re-grinding the factory cams, we have built heads with 3s-ge valves in which are longer and ground up to 3mm off the base circle, it is not the best way but it works fine, the factory hardening is deep so there is no problem. We will have new billets available soon, any spec you want. we offer a free confidential design service so you get a cam combo that suits your individual requirments.
We have a mild street performance re-grind that works well and we supply a set of lash caps the same thickness as the amount off the radius of the base circle, so your tappets don't change.
We freight everywhere in the world, and it isn't that expensive at all.

To allow the cams to be ground with either longer duration and/or higher lift you need to grind the cam so the opposite side of each lobe is effectively closer to the centre of the cam.

This allows longer valves (or modified shims/buckets) to operate within the normal design tolerances.

What you have done is artificially make the lobe taller (even though it is the same height as standard) by making the valve stem protrude further from the head. Grinding the cams this way is cheap but replacing the valves with longer ones is an expense you will incur. Additionally you need to pull the heads to do it.

Hard welding makes the came lobe taller and fills the approach and exit ramps to allow a new profile to be ground. This is cost effective but the welding has imperfections which will eventually wear the cam and the followers. 60,000km would be the maximum life expectancy for these cams.

To make a "long life" cam you need fresh castings which are then machined to your requirements.

I have been swapping emails with Kelford Engineering in NZ about their cast cams.

Below is a copy of my communications. Sorry it starts at the bottom and works it's way up. And this post is very long.

I suggest we all hold still and don't inundate Kevin with emails.

I have asked him to let me know when they are ready to supply and I will post it so you can all email your orders to him

it is not a firm price, just a estimate, excludes gst.

----- Original Message -----
To: Team at Kelford
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 8:56 PM
Subject: Re: 1uz-fe

Kevin,

The price you mention is that inclusive or exclusive of GST?

Thanks

Rod Garnett
To: The Garnett's
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 8:10 AM

Hi Rod,
No problem, you can post my e mail if you want to.

Cheers
Kevin
To: Team at Kelford
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 8:56 PM

Kevin,

Can I use your comments (or post your whole email) on www.lextreme.com as there are a number of us chasing cams.

We looked at casting cams and having them ground but for the small number we needed it was just too expensive,

Thanks.

Rod Garnett
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 7:12 AM
Subject: 1uz-fe

Hi Rod
You are correct in saying that you cannot use 'steel' billet cams without lubrication issues.
But as of two months ago I have had one of the worlds biggest cam manufacturers make 'Factory spec' cast billets for us. We use them a lot in NZ for jet boats, circuit and speedway, and up to now we have been either grinding them down to get a decent profile onto them and using longer valves, or hard welding the lobes and re-profiling (this works perfectly when we do it, but is expensive).
So in around eight weeks we will have for sale, finished cast camshafts ground to factory base circle size and any spec that you want. We estimate the cost for a set of finished cams to be around NZ$1500 but won't really know exactly until we have them here.
We have just finished a set for a supercharged application and also a twin turbo drag race application.
If there is any other info that you want please ask.
we also now have off the shelf finished cast billets for 1&2JZ

Regards
Kevin Ban

One last thought.

As we all fit our cams we will need some new shims (there's no way you would be so lucky as to have all 32 fit correctly).

400ZED and I have discussed setting up a shim exchange program where we can post the shims we want and if someone has it (or them) spare they supply it. Shims are around $15,00 each so 32 of them adds up. Any comments on this.

There is also a thread on Toyota Echo shims fitting. Maybe some one can look into this futrher.