best engine to twin turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ballo

hey everyone

my next car im hoping to put a toyota v8 into and im researching all about these engines but im still wondering:

what block to use (4.0, 4.3, 4.7) to make some where in the range of 1000 rwhp, i want to build it properly thats y im looking up as much info as possible and i want it to be reliable.

like for example: the rps turbonetics celica

Toyota Tundra V8 4.7 liter bored & stroked out to a 5.3 liter
Toyota Lexus LS400 quad cams 32 valve heads

is that a great setup?????? or is there something that would be better?

all help appreciated cheers

price hasnt come into it at this stage

im just trying to find the best block to start out with:

like ive read about these engines reaching 10,000rpm which is what id like to reach and trying to work out what block can be bored out to 5.0 liters +.

apart from the manufacture of cams / pistons and general engineering...ill be able to build the engine myself so that will cut down on quite alot of labour cost.

Without knowing what the engine is going in and what you want to use it for it is hard to comment.

The Tundra 4.7 is a cast iron block so should be stronger than the 4.0 or 4.3.

However if you want to put it in a race car where every ounce counts then it's weight would be against it.

There is a thread running on the cost of an FI engine at the moment in this Forum. Some reasonable indications are in there.

If you seach here under "bore stroke" you will find an Excel spreadsheet posted by 4CAMS that lets you play around and see what can be created.

There is a heap of information in this Forum if you look.

An article on the HKS Supra in the July 2003 Super Street magazine (page 106) states the car used the aluminum 4.3 liter 3UZ-FE from the LS430/GS430/SC430. With HKS camshafts (listed as their SPL series) aftermarket connecting rods, billet crank and twin Garrett GT3540R turbos running 28psi... making 1,455hp.

The iron block 4.7 Tundra V8 is only a 2 bolt main cap block vs. the 6 bolt 4.3s. Iron is stronger/stiffer than aluminum but apparently the 4.3 block is strong enough.

JBrady said:
twin Garrett GT3540R turbos running 28psi... making 1,455hp.

Nice find John. WOW... 28 psi at 1,455 hp. Wow, Wow..... I would assume it will take little less then 28 psi for make 1,455 hp in a 4.7 liter. In theory that is.

Still keep in mind that that is an ALL OUT race motor. That bing said, it's conceivable that you could punch out 1000rwhp on a 4.7L, 28psi on a GT47 turbo. That's a tastey thought...

Eric

1000 hp-- im still tryin to get there--here in the us.. the "lextreme challenge" first toyota v8-in a street car-to reach 1000 hp gets braggin rights for a year..:veryhappy

im working on the induction and exhaust right now--you guys better hurry up,,unless you dont mind me braggin for a whole year..:veryhappy :veryhappy

At this point, I honestly believe that the motor making the surpassing the 1K mark won't be an issue (in a built engine). In fact, I have no doubts.

However, the one suspect component will be the tranny in most applications. The W58 can only hold so much, as well as the R154. Luckily there's alway the V160 and V161 swaps, and for the truely hardcore, there's the TH400.

Then there are the half shafts to think about. A friend of mine with an SC300 has already snapped both half shafts, and a diff. He's upgraded to the TRD rear, and MKIV halfshafts, so that should be able to hold the power.

But as I said before, there's no doubt in my mind that these motors can reach the 1k mark....especially the 2uz.

Eric

theres a local street supra-- well over 1000 hp that has run 8s.. he is still on the stock suspension, and axles.. he has upgraded to the th400 trans.. and a one piece driveshaft, but thats it.. i have seen it with my own eyes, so im sure about this..
there is also a local sc300 that has recently run mid 9s with the stock 6speed and drivetrain.. the only problem to 1000 hp street lexus would be the orig tranny.. it could live,, but it could be a "problematic automatic":veryhappy

Twin GT35Rs is as much inducer area as a GT4788mm. That's a LOT of turbo, and a LOT of HP. On the 2JZ, the GT4788mm has been proven to make 1200rwhp all boost 53psi, and 1520rwhp 60psi with a huge N2O shot. Not I wouldn't go that hardcore with a 2uz motor, but figure 30psi is going to surpass the magic millinium mark.

Nasty, nasty, nasty...

Right now, I'm pushing for a V8 swap subforum on Supraforums. It's time to bring this in to the light.

Eric

david,(lextreme),, its not cheating..the iron block should be able to handle well over the 1000.. after all,, the 2jz is iron and handles hp very well..

i just dont have any iron blocks around, or else i would be trying to use one also..:veryhappy
cowboy bepop,, im glad to hear of another supra getting done..i still think, and hopefully you will also prove,, that the v8 in the supra will be the next "hot setup" more displacment is a big PLUS when it comes to making power.. besides,, the 2jz's are getting mighty expensive..

David,

Two 3076Rs or two 3082Rs would make an easy 1000 hp with the ~4.7L I'm assuming you're building. If you were looking to expand beyond 1000, I'd recommend two GT3582Rs (same 82mm compressor as the GT3082R). With my very rough approximations of BSFC, VE, and AIR/FUEL, this would require roughly 25psi. What RPM do you plan to make the engine run up to? This will shift things around a bit too. Anything beyond 7000rpm will probably make the 3076 too small. We have 3 A/R's for the GT3582R (1.06, 0.82, and 0.63), so I'd really probably recommend the GT3582R because you KNOW you're going to want more once you get 1000, and two GT3582Rs will allow for that.

Alternatively, depending on your packaging, Garrett has a great deal of turbine housing A/R size granularity in the GT4202s (if you wanted to do a single) because of their NHRA sport compact drag racing activities. Check out what they have at http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/turbo_comparison_sheet.htm.

Does anyone have any GOOD dyno charts that include air/fuel ratio? I've seen some 1UZFE dyno charts, but most of them look like a kid drew them with crayons. Also, are the head flow numbers in the flowrate2.pdf file on the SC470TT project build page actual test tumbers, or just approximations?

-Kirk

turbotwig said:
Does anyone have any GOOD dyno charts that include air/fuel ratio? I've seen some 1UZFE dyno charts, but most of them look like a kid drew them with crayons. Also, are the head flow numbers in the flowrate2.pdf file on the SC470TT project build page actual test tumbers, or just approximations?

-Kirk
Those flow figures are in a Dyno2000 run that I did for Rod (Zuffen).

They are the flow figures for a standard head at standard valve sizes as got from an Autospeed writeup, with an additional 10% of flow from porting and with standard valves.

So they are a total of 10% more flow than standard 1UZ heads with 33.5mm and 28mm valves.

Attachments

• dirtyengine.jpg
    dirtyengine.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5