Automatic gearbox controller

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

poida

I've been reading posts on here trying to work out the best/easiest way to put a 1UZ and auto into a surf. I was searching the net and found this site. I was thinking, to leave the origional auto in the surf I might use this controller.

The auto control unit can control A340E*, A343E*, A650E*

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed they didn't include all the other manufacturers using the 340/341 series of transmission. They range from some of Europes better cars to Isuzu and Mitsubishi in Japan. Not to mention Jeep in the land of the Stars and Stripes!

You also need to supply a harness.

Have a look at KDogs tiptronic controller on this Site.

Half the price and Made in Australia. What more could you want?

Zuffen, do you have any more details on this controller. Just tried to pm kdog, but his message bank is full, popular fellow.

Blown V*,

KDogs controller allows tiptronic use only (it does away with the Auto's ability to change by itself) and you shift with up and down buttons.

THere are quite a few out there working.

He is doing a run of 10 or so at the moment.

Keep tryng to PM him. He's extremely busy at work and doesn't get on the Forum as much as we would all like to see.

Zuffen said:
Blown V*,

KDogs controller allows tiptronic use only (it does away with the Auto's ability to change by itself) and you shift with up and down buttons.

THere are quite a few out there working.

He is doing a run of 10 or so at the moment.

Keep tryng to PM him. He's extremely busy at work and doesn't get on the Forum as much as we would all like to see.

THANX Zuffen. Do you know if you can still use the shifter instead of the buttons. I have a pro-ratchet shifter, and would prefer to use this, rather than buttons on steering wheel.
THANX for the info.

If you take away the eletronics the shifter will only give asccess to 1st 2nd and 4th (someone correct me if the order is wrong) so the pro-ratchet won't give all gears.

The transmission has to have some form of electronics to use all four gears.

KDogs controller is very good but it will make the pro-ratchet into a good looking & expensive device to select park, reverse, neutral and drive.

Of interest have you used the pro-ratchet before? I was looking at using one on my Torquflit when it eventually goes in.

Theres a company called MV automatics that can do fully manual electronic controllers for these things that allow them to bew shifted manually for the shifter. I have not had a good look at them yet, but they said it can be done. They are also doing manual valve bodies for the a34xe series gearboxes now as well. That may be the way that i go.
As for the pro-ratchet, not yet, 1st time i have used one, but a good mate of mine has one in a turbo cortina with transbrake, and he loves it. Used the transbrake the 1st time last weekend out the front of his house, let it go at 10PSI, and just shited up thru the gears. The speedo said 190, but the car werent moving. hehehe

Madmont,

To answer your question (a few posts ago) when you run aftermarket engine management you can't run the Toyota ECT on a Crown and on the other versions the control of the trans goes out the windw with the ECU.

Attachments

• IM000438.jpg
    IM000438.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 205
If it's supercharged/turbocharged the odds are it's running aftermarket ECU.

If you keep boost down in the "girls zone" you can run the standard ECU. When you move into the "Tim Allen" zone you need aftermarket.

Blown V8 is in Tim's zone.

Allright I'll clarify.

1. I just happened to find this while googling and thought it may be of interest. e.g. It drives a 5 speed auto if you wanted to do a conversion.

2. I dont actually have a 1uz yet. I want to purchase a surf in australia and stick a 1uz in it in the easiest way possible. And I would use the stock ECU

3. I have read various posts here and there are so many ideas about doing one of these that I'm dazed and confused and I have no experience with Toyotas, give me a holden and a delco computer and I'll have it do what ever you want.

Now as I understand it the 1UZ wont controll the surf auto as it stands. The 1UZ auto wont bolt onto the surf transfer case cuz it has a different output shaft. correct? So I would have to hybrid the boxes. Some people on here have pulled apart and hybrid'ed autos to do these conversions. I thought maybe this controller could do the surf box and I can just bolt up the 1UZ to it without the hassells of hybrids. Please if I'm wrong show me the way. I'm ultra keen to do this and I have a blank canvas so what should I buy/do.

(I once test drove a surf with a 1uz in it and it wouldn't go into/out of overdrive properly and i think it had the surf box still. If you had the overdrive switch on it would go from 2 to 4.)

I believe that some versions of this engine had seperate ecu to trans computer. You may be able to get your hands on one of these, and just get the same outputs from aftermarket ecu to go to std trans computer. Would probably be messy though. There is a company in the states that make them for the aod-e, the ford 4 speed auto from modern mustangs. i think the web site is http://www.baumannengineering.com/elect.htm. You may be able to adapt it for the a34x series trans.

I'm going to run the standard 1UZ ECU though. I just didn't think the surf box could be controlled by it without mods.

poida, anything is possible, its just how much you want to spend, and how much time you want to spend on it. Do you know what trans is in the surf????

the surf auto is usually a 340 so if you get a 1uz with a 340 attached you will have a computer to control it , the transmission type is written on the manufacturers plate

You may be a couple of cables short for the electronic transfer case.

Easy fix but that's the only problem I see you face.

Use your existing trans as the output shaft will be different to the Crown/LS or SC.