Anyone gone with an electric power steering pump?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Rotrex and Antonov are allready in buisness with suparchargers that are partially drivven by electric motors, no reason they can't make one fully electric. if rotrex where weak they wouldn't be on the koenisegg.

grtz Thomas

Well after seeing my old alternator (original on the motor) die because it was full of powersteering oil, and to clear space for the turbo piping, I am on the hunt for electric PS examples on the 1UZ again.

Anyone got an SW20 PS pump handy? or know of one?

Cribbj, very interesting points... good to know :)

Is there anything particular that you are wanting to know about the SW20 pumps? I dont have one handy, but have dealt with them quite a bit, and actually plan on using one also with my UZ / A70 swap for the same reasons, clearance for turbo manifolds, and added bennifet of no more fried alt's. due to being filled with PS fluid.

Well haven't done it yet, but my plans are for a mount that attaches between the frame rail and the rad. core support on the drivers side (easy connection with the rack and the cooler lines. Lines will just be custom SS braided units. I am currently trying to find out more info on the PS pump computer. Yes PWM control would be fairly simple, but implimenting vehical speed based veriable assist would make a controler that much more difficult where as the SW20 system already uses all this control.

Lots of kit car builders here are using electrically driven steering column shafts to get away from pully driven pumps for space saving reasons. They are typically using GM Corsa columns that have variable assistance depending on vehicle speed and the big problem is to get the ECU that controls to amount of assistance to talk to the many and varied types of speed sensors in use in kit cars,from simple hall sensors to the OEM gearbox sensors.

I am told its not a difficult problem to solve but those in the know do like to charge for their expertise.

In the Cobras I've used a Rover 200 PS pump, mated to the original Lexus pulley, in a home made bracket that relocates the PS pump into the original A/C compressor location.

We don't need AC in a Cobra in the UK.........heating probably yes, AC no.

Cheers,

Tony

Rotrex and Antonov are allready in buisness with suparchargers that are partially drivven by electric motors, no reason they can't make one fully electric. if rotrex where weak they wouldn't be on the koenisegg.

grtz Thomas

Which rotrex modelis using the electric drive. All i've seen were the fluid drive systems.

To resurrect an old thread, has anyone tried the MR2 electric power steering pump yet? I'm toying with the idea for a 2JZ build 'cause I need the space in that area.

yup, perfect. But it was quite some work to get it working perfectly and I doubt it's possible in a supra in the way I did it (using all the original ecu's from the MR2 and including the steering sensor from the MR2)
If I had to do it again I might go a different route.

Thinking of using this electric power steering pump for another application. Has anyone measured its output flow in free air?

There's a vid of it on Youtube showing it producing up to 1200 PSI when in a power steering system of a large American car, so it's got some serious pressure capability, but I'm interested in its flow at maybe 1/10 of that pressure.