Another Corolla update

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

markstoys

OK--the body actually fit on my frame!!!

The first pic was the original ride height--which is 2 inches lower than stock.
rear_quarterweb.jpg

This is 1 1/2 inches lower--which is REALLY low! I still have almost 6 inches of clearance at the oil pan, and 5 1/2 inches under the front rocker panel. I cut around 3 inches out of the front fender just to clear the tire. I'll have to cut even more to allow for suspension travel.
lowrqweb.jpg

Original ride height.
fqweb.jpg

New and improved ride height. The front of the hood is just under 24 inches from the ground. The roof line is around 48 inches. I wanted lower, but the motor limits how low I can put the body.
lowfqweb.jpg

You can see that the LOWER intake barely fits under the body. There will be a 5 inch protrusion of supercharger through the hood when all is said and done.
intakeweb.jpg

Here is the rear portion of the frame, where the back seat will be. I don't want to give up the back seat-- still want to be able to pile the kids back there occasionally. It was hard to figure out, but worked out well. Even though that bracket is just 14 gauge sheet metal tacked together, it's very stiff. When the real thing is fabbed from 1/4 inch steel, it should be very strong.
inside_rear1web.jpg

I actually moved the motor forward 2 inches since I took this picture. Motor placement has been the toughest part so far. It must clear the steering rack (one of the few parts I can't move), I want it as low as possible, and back behind the front wheels--but not too far (don't want it my lap).

inside_front2web.jpg

could you please stop making new threads everytime you have another half a dozen pics to post? just post them in the existing thread... threadS!...

Im gonna assume you've got no plans to get it street registered...

This car will be a driver. A friend of mine wants me to turn it into a German Touring car wannabe--super, super low and stripped down. But I want to drive this car on the street, if not every day, almost every day. It will have A/C, power steering, and not be too loud.

Mark

Here's what I have so far. The tires are 245-40-17 on a 9" wheel in front, and 285-30-18 on a 19" wide wheel in back. I mocked up some flares real quick just to get an idea of how it looks, but I like how they came out. I am also seriously considering leaving the supercharger exposed, just like in the pic.

fq2mjulweb.jpg

fq1mjulweb.jpg

rear_mjulweb.jpg

This is what an SC400 stance looks like under a Corolla body. The pictures don't really do it justice--I can't get far enough away to get good perspective. I really need to roll this thing out of the garage so I can take some decent pictures of it. Even in the pics, I think it still looks pretty mean.

What you can't see is that I have the frame completey mocked up, and almost have the seating position/pedals/steering almost figured. I just got the flywheel (thanks, SuperRunner!), next I'll get the clutch, then I can do the bellhousing. I'm almost done rerouting the belt for the supercharger, then I'll do the intake manifold, which will be a slight variation on Jordy's.

I was reviewing all the pics I had of my project and I thought these two showed my progress really well. The top one is from the first day I had the car, and the second was taken this weekend.
transformation.jpg

It doesn't really show in pictures very well (so I'm not even going to try), but I have made a ton of progress in the last several months--working out all the little details. I'm finally all done with mock up, and am now in full fabrication mode. I have started building the frame; the bellhousing is all figured out, as is the intake manifold; and I'm still pretty sure I can get a 180 degree exhaust to work. Hopefully I'll have it running by January.
Mark

A little off subject but man that is one organised looking garage you got that Carolla sitting in...I wish my garage looked like that....

I was refering to the first picture in this thread... Nice empty beer bottle collection:friday:

Yeah, well the olny way I can fit all my crap in there is to keep it very organized.

And that bottle collection has been almost 20 years in the making--I drank every one of them.

Mark

IT LIVES !!!

So, it's been a while since I've posted an update--I've been busy.

The two main things I've accomplished are fabbing an intake manifold for the supercharger and fabbing the headers. I have pictures of them in various stages of competion which I will put up soon. The headers took me three months to do, and the intake was about four weeks.

This video is mostly about the sound. There is no exhaust system beyond the header collectors--no mufflers, no piping at all. It is surprisingly quiet. It was after only about five minutes of tuning, so it is a little rough, but it's enough to get the idea. You can see it is a very temporary wiring job. I just wanted to find out if the motor would even run, and to make sure there are no major problems. While there are no major problems, already there are a million issues to be addressed. I will probably work on some of them as I finish up the chassis.

I have to set up a YouTube account, so I hope the link works for everyone.

It sounds.... strange.
Doesnt have any V8 note to it at all.
Is it a sign of well tuned headers?
The sound comes from the fact that they are 180 degree headers.
The primaries are 1 3/4" in diameter and 40" long. They vary in length no more than 1/2".

While I have nothing against that typical V8 rumble (I do own a 1967 Camaro), I thought it wouldn't be suited to a '75 Toyota Corolla. Besides, it's not a Chevy 350, it a Lexus after all. I also thought that the more evenly spaced exhaust pulses would help a supercharged engine breathe better.

exhpassweb.jpg

exhdrivweb.jpg

exhbottomweb.jpg

It was/is somewhat of a gamble because they were expensive and VERY time consuming to make--but I wanted something different. If I don't like it after I get the piping and mufflers hooked up, I can always do a set of "normal" headers.

Woah, piping spaghetti.
Would have taken a very long time to build... well done.

Will be interesting to see what it sounds like at mid/high rpms under load.

Mark,
your project has in every way outdone my own.
WELL DONE!
i absolutely cannot wait to see your project done!
one day when i'm done school and have a garage to work in i hope to build something like yours
i'm absolutely breathless
VERY well done
i also LOVE how quiet the headers are!
i have no idea how i'm going to get my car that quiet but i ABSOLUTELY have to
the v8 rumble will quickly annoy me
i like my cars quiet..
dont need to publish that my car isnt normal
AAAAnyhow
awesome job! keep the fantastic fab work coming!