Alternative air flow meters?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Gyvven

The LS400 motor I bought for my swap was mostly complete except for the AFM and alternator. Our local Upull got a few cars in and I was able to get the alternator but every car seems to have the AFM and ECU pulled in a couple days. I'm wondering if I can use and AFM from a 2uz or 3uz, or if I can use the AFM from a 93-94 with a 90-92 ecu? Or are there other alternatives?

What year engine and ECU number do you have. There are three main AFM. The early Alloy body which is used on the group fire ECUs (series 1) , there is the plastic body which works with the sequential fired ECUs (series 2) . The VVti have a plastic body AFM which is attached to part of the airbox, I haven't looked into the interchangablity of these sorry. Cheers

My engine is a 94 and my ecu is a 90, I didn't get the part number for it while I was up there this weekend. I'm redoing the wiring harness to to make it work with the older ecu and also eliminate some of the items I won't be needing. (I'd like to find out what the absolute minumum wiring is to run the motor on stock ecu. I started a thread about it but responses have been lacking.)

I have a lot of experience with Toyota 4 cylinders and most of the AFMs of similar vintage were intercangeable, so I was hoping that this would be the same. I know the JZ guys use the AFMs from the 1UZ as an upgrade because of the larger diameter.

I'll play around with it and report what I find. I'll hit the local Upull and see if they have any 2 or 3UZs I can cannabalize.

Early ECU will need the alloy body AFM with the plastic insert. There isnt alot to remove in the way of sensors on the 1uz. I remove some of the diagnostic plug , purge solenoid and both the tractron control motor and tracton TPS. If running auto you can remove the auto loom. The Early 1uz also need the cold start injector otherwise they are a pain to start. Cheers

Thanks Gloverman,

I'll keep an eye out for one of the older aluminum ones, but if one from a newer model or a 2 or 3UZ pops up in my local yard I'll grab it and try it.

I've removed a good chunk of the wiring from the harness except for the bare minimums. I'll relocate the diagostic box to inside the cabin but I'll only keep a few of those pins. I also have the intake manifold from the 91 motor, so I have the cold start injector but I don't have the timer switch. It'll be easy enough to put that wiring into the harness, and I'm sure I have some cold start injector plugs lying around, and I can see if that car is still at the yard when I go this weekend.

The 2uz and 3uz use a hotwire air flow meter. The Series 2 motors also use a hotwire. The Gen 1 motors with the alloy body use a Karmin Vortex airflow meter so there is not way the signals are anything close to the hotwire ones. Cheers