Air suspension for SC400 (australia) please help!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

AVS88

Hi guys, i recently bought myself and sc400 and im aware of a problem with the air suspension i took it to a mechanic and he advised me the struts are leaking oil and i need to replace them, the suspension is really bouncy!!!! and every now and then i can hear the air compressor building up the pressure, and also the switch that says high/low moves freely as if its not connected to anything, yet the "sport" mode works. im wanting to replace the struts but im not sure on how id go about it as ive done abit of research and each strut is to be about $1300 EACH ouch ! and i also found that i could replace it with supra struts and wipe out the whole "air" thing and i also have no idea how that would work due to the compressors at each wheel??? if ANYONE has any info and advise that might be able to help me out that would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Alyce :)
i forgot to mention the model its a UZZ31 import 1991 Lexus

Last edited:
Second hand struts can be found for any where between 150 to 200 dollars.New shouls not be any more than about 1000 each.
On your high low switch the little tongue on the inside will be broken, if you decidw to keep your air suspension I have a spare switch that you can buy if needed.

There is a single compressor for the whole system and everything can be removed if you put normal struts in, there is a couple of fuses that need to be removed if you do this because there will be a warning come up on your dash when there is no more air suspension.

you can e-mail at [email protected]

Paul.

'shocking' problem

Hi guys, i recently bought myself and sc400 and im aware of a problem with the air suspension i took it to a mechanic and he advised me the struts are leaking oil and i need to replace them, the suspension is really bouncy!!!! and every now and then i can hear the air compressor building up the pressure, and also the switch that says high/low moves freely as if its not connected to anything, yet the "sport" mode works. im wanting to replace the struts but im not sure on how id go about it as ive done abit of research and each strut is to be about $1300 EACH ouch ! and i also found that i could replace it with supra struts and wipe out the whole "air" thing and i also have no idea how that would work due to the compressors at each wheel??? if ANYONE has any info and advise that might be able to help me out that would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Alyce :)
i forgot to mention the model its a UZZ31 import 1991 Lexus
hi alyce...
i have a 1998 LS400 but if the shocks are the same which they very well might be. When i bought my car it was beautiful but the shocks were worn out (bouncy-bouncy) so i bought a set of heavy duty bilsteins.
they have 30% heavier damping than standard. I thoughly recomend these as they made the steering far more responsive, didn't dive nearly as much under braking, took out alot of the 'instant' body roll when you turned the steering wheel, but still has that beautiful lexus ride. . . . i live in australia
and i bought then in the U.S.A. they cost me $600AUS delivered to my door in sydney and $300AUS to fit them... i think they were about $110USD for you to buy them locally for you ... my advise is get ride of the air shocks and get a set of coil overs. Im unsure of what brands are out there maybe someone else on the forum can surgest which brand for you..... (by the way, i had a heavier anti-roll bar made for the front which made a HUGE differnce to steering response and body roll.... i think the new shocks combined with the new sway bar made a teriffic combination...

hi alyce,

Im not sure where you are, but castle hill toyota in NSW are able to get the air struts.
the SC does have different air struts to the LS
If it looks low an is bouncy, then it sound like that there is no air or lack of air in the suspension.
when you flick the switch for high/low, does a light pop up on your cluster?
I replaced mine not that long ago as 1 off them was leaking.
I got all 4 (front an rear) for $1500, yep thats right no misprint

Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller