A341 To Hilux Transfer adapter manufactured in NZ

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jafa

Hi Guys,
I'm in the process of making an adapter to go between the 1Uz-fe A341 trans and my duel geardrive Hilux transfers, with the intention of making 10 of them to sell. I need a bit of info regarding the speed sensors, but more of that later, heres a few pics of the progress so far,
Let me know what you think of the design. It will bolt directly to the back of the Lexus A341, you will need to cut the thread of the output shaft of the trans.
It will have a double row bearing that the spline coupler runs in and a new speed sensor trigger. A Lip seal is behind the bearing so trans fluid doesn't leak out into the adapter, and an o ring inside the coupler. I will be designing a version of this that has a PTO unit incorporated in it that uses a synchro hub out of an old transfer case, more of that to come :)

1uzfe_hilux_tf_adapter_1_resize.sized.jpg

1uzfe_hilux_tf_adapter_2_resize.sized.jpg

1uzfe_hilux_tf_adapter_3_resize.sized.jpg

1uzfe_hilux_tf_adapter_4_resize.sized.jpg

1uzfe_hilux_tf_adapter_5_resize.sized.jpg

Now the questions regarding speed sensors....
This is a pic of the trans with the tailhousing removed, you can see one small speed sensor and the speedo drive still attached to the loom, I want to know if all will run properly without the speedo drive?, ie is there a speed sensor in the speedo drive? or does it just use the small one on the opposite side?

DSC02990.sized.jpg

DSC02992.sized.jpg

Can i ditch this altogether?

Next question, Is this gallery and hole to supply oil to the rear bearing?
DSC02993.sized.jpg

DSC02994.sized.jpg

I have posted this on uzswap but i wil ask here also for more opinion.

I know this maybe being picky and may be too late but would it be possible to make the adaptor forward shift compatible? or whould this add to the pricing too much? Would it be nescessary?

Doesnt the engine/tranny (and consequently transfer case) already have to move back from the original position? Thats before you have to swap your transfer to top shift.

Just trying to save a couple xtra $$ for a top shift setup.

we have no plans to make it forward shift compatible, mainly due to expense, (another setup for machining, extra core in the casting). But if you really wanted one , it could be done.
As for the position of the engine etc, I'll have to try one in a stock chassis before I can say exactly what happens, but you will have to make mods to the floor for it all to fit. The first adapter is going in a race truck, so floor mods are not an issue.
Fire me an e-mail if you have anymore questions

Cheers
Jafa

[email protected]

Most of the 1UZ swaps I have seen have the gearbox sitting further back than stock, usually about 3-5 cm's.

On the manual there is enough room to modify the stock gates and boots and have it all sealed up again, not sure what an auto would be like.

Matt.

This looks like a good idea, what sort of price are you going to sell these adapters for?
Is this similar to Marlin Crawler's adapter?

:hail:

you do not need the gear driven speedo drive

all that does is send signal to speedometer

and if you need a speed signal to ecu i sell inline electric senders which go inline on th espeedo cable and send correct signal to ecu but are not needed unless u want to make everything perfect

you do however need to small black plastic speed sensor this is the main speed sensor which controls the auto gear changing
and u need the ring gear that the sensor reads that sits on output shaft

make sure this is perfect i think u need about 1 mm clearance from ring gear tooth to sensor pickup

what price is marlins speedo drives i buy them in bulk here use them on most toyotas

Hi Sideshow,
Thanks for the info. So what your saying is that with a stock Lexus trans and ecu, I dont need the speedo drive, only the small black speed sensor thats on the opposite side of the tailhousing?

Heres some stuff from Marlins site regarding the VSS
Marlin Crawler VSS We are now producing our very own Vechicle Speed Sensor (VSS). This 3-wire, 4-pluse magnetic pulse amplifier will convert ANY Toyota vehicle with a standard 22x1.50 mechanical speedometer drive to an electronic speedometer system. Features a standard Toyota VSS Plug for your convience. The Applications are unlimited, converting both 4WD and 2WD 22x1.50 mechanical speedometer setups to electronic 3-wire, 4-pulse speedometer setups. Now installing a Tacoma Engine into a Hilux or Land Cruiser is a snap! Works on both Gear and Chain Drive Transfercases!
For 1992-95 V6 Applications, when converting to a Gear Drive T/Case Setup, the only previous option was to use a 1992-95 Factory Toyota 4cyl 5-speed Gear Drive T/Case VSS, that sells for $210. The New Marlin Crawler VSS saves $150 on a 1992-95 V6 Transfercase Conversion.

<li class="marlin">To Install in a gear drive t/case:
---- Use a cable VSS from a 1979-92 gear drive t/case.<li class="marlin">To Install in a chain drive t/case:
---- Use a cable VSS from a 1988-91 chain drive t/case.
MC-VSS, Electronic Vehicle Speed Sensor, $59​

the ecu needs 2 speed signals

but one is ok

it will bring o/d light on if there is errors and if there is no 2nd speed sensor thats an error but it will still drive ok

the little black speed sensor is the main one and thats all u need

if u r anal and want both speed sensors just fit one of those sensors inloine on the speedo cable

thats a good price for them have u got link to a pic of it as all i can see if the shoppin cart

thanks

jim

I need an electric speed sensor for my R154 box... if you have one for sale, I have a mechanical one and will have to get marlins products if I cant find the electrical one... cheers.

i have afew 2nd hand toyota speed sensors

do u need a 4 pulse or a 20 pulse

i recently did a 1uz celsior late model and customer modified something in the auto to get it to fit into a 4wd

modded the rear speedo reluctor ring and stuff

now he has problems that car wont kick down as it should

toyota autos suk asssssssssssssssssss the spd sensors have to be crucial

another thing to remember

the marlin speed sensor is just a speed sensor u cannot hook a cable onto it

the speed sensors i sell have a 4 pulse signal and also can have a sppedo cable connected to them

they are a pass thru sensor

so are good for many 4wds where the car runs a spoeedo cable

and u also need 4 pulses to ecu for ecu

Whats the deal with the pulse's is the more the better?

Coz I've a cable speedo atm. but I've got a vdo hall sensor that is 2 pulse's that connects threw the cable speedo atm but it only needed for my gps setup atm...

What I want to do is take out the cable speedo drive and put a electric speedo sensor (think i need the one off a late model prado or land cruiser) coz I've got a electric speedo from a V6 model hilux to put in and a box that I can adjust the signals with to get the speed right with 33's.

You can get a suitable adapter from Inchworm in the states if your desperate, they call it a 2wd Toyota pre runner adapter, just tell them you want it for a lexus v8 and they should know. One thing to keep in mind though is the coupler they supply is slightly different to the lexus auto output, you will need to grind the splines down lightly with a flap disc for it to fit properly, it is 0.5mm larger in diametre. DO NOT bash it on as they suggest.